August 7th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has been "close" to returning from a lingering hamstring injury for the better part of two weeks now. But, apparently, this time he really is close to returning. And only moments after head coach Tom Coughlin expressed some encouragement with his progress, the rookie wideout said his return is just "around the corner."

"It's something that can re-occur very easily if it's not strong enough, so it's really about testing the strength and the muscle groups around it," Beckham Jr. said. "Like I said, it's almost that time; it's getting to be around the corner."

Despite Coughlin's most recent optimism, the rookie did acknowledge that his head coach has gotten on him a bit about returning the field. But, Beckham Jr. says, "that's just how coach is," adding "I feel the same. I'd love to be back out there, so I don't mind if he gives me a hard time here and there."

Beckham Jr. was supposed to "get back out there" on Wednesday night and catch passes from some of the quarterbacks as opposed to the JUGS machine, but that did not happen. And while trainers did toss him a few balls and he did do some 100-yard sprints and cuts, Beckham Jr. says he's can't quite reach top gear just yet.

"I can definitely plant and can do all of that; it's just that I don't feel I can reach top, top speed [yet]," Beckham Jr. said. "Just kind of holding off, trying to get some more strength and then we'll be ready to go."

Although he couldn't say definitively, both Beckham Jr. and coach Coughlin sounded enthused about the potential of a full return sometime next week. In the mean time however, Beckham Jr. remains sidelined and is not expected to play on Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

12 Responses to “New York Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Says His Return is “Around the Corner” but Can’t Reach Top Speed Yet”

1.  GmenMania says:

GOAT56 says:
    August 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    Given McBride’s track record before last year I don’t think you can assume anything. James is very good and Hosley is very talented.

———-

I don’t get where all this James love comes from. What has the guy ever done to prove that he’s “very good”? He’s a likeable kid and a hard worker, but that doesn’t make him a good player. He certainly has done less to prove his worth than has McBride.

When he’s played in the preseason he has looked good. He looks like a player and continues to get better. McBride before last season was on the street. He played well last year but at his age did he develop late or just have a great year. I think it was just a great year and for me he has to continue to prove last year wasn’t a fluke. I like keeping an upside guy that’s already a good player.

2.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Brown had a lousy track record when he first came here and then took off. James probably makes the practice squad unless some one get IR’d.

I’m not a believer in Brown either. I hope he’s good but 2012 seemed more lucky than good. I really hoping he proves me wrong but I’m definitely skeptical.

3.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Hey! Looks like Jerry Jones made the Post. With some people wisdom comes w age. With Jerry it’s a whole ‘nother story

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    August 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    F55 -

I’m suggesting that keeping 10 DBs is all but certain. When you look at our DB talent compare to other positions and how much we play 5 and even 6 DBs it makes perfect sense. I think Behre can stick as the 5th safety. I think some miss about practice squad is that it’s open to anyone to grab your players. I think if we subjected Taylor to PS and if we did the same with Behre this year they would be signed by another team over the course of the year if not claimed to be on their 53 when cuts are made. Going to the PS to me means I good chance we lose Behre. And I don’t think it’s worth losing him for some end of the roster JAG at another position like Herzlich or Brewer.

I think Bowman is superior to McBride and is our 4th CB. Bowman is better in this system using more press man coverage and better on specials. That leaves us down to McBride vs James for the last CB spot. I don’t think you keep a vet that might be a little better over a young guy with promise for a deep backup position like 5th CB. However, reading what the coaches are saying about McBride, James is in trouble. No way can we cut both Behre and James in my view, that’s way too much young talent going to waste.

My point about Austin builds from not keep a vet as a deep backup. I always felt we should have kept Austin over Rodgers and I stated that last year. I’m not denying Rodgers outplayed him last preseason but to me a position that’s going to get limited snaps I rather take the chance on the younger player with talent to help build the roster for the future.

Many people did want to keep Sash over Taylor because he looked so raw they thought he could just be hid on PS. It’s one thing to hide an undrafted guy from a small school but a 5th round pick that shows promise in camp and games is extremely difficult to hide. I guy who showed nothing like McCants still got picked up by someone.

fanfor55years says:
    August 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM
    Hey, I’d love it if they keep Berhe because I think he’s going to be a player. But going with 10 defensive backs means they have to give up something somewhere (actually “somewheres”). I wouldn’t mind that but I suspect many others would.

It would mean they cannot keep both of the young wide receivers, so probably Washington disappears. It means they probably can’t keep an extra offensive lineman and would be going with only nine, which means they wouldn’t get to develop one of the many young guys they’ve brought in this camp, at least one of whom will probably look good enough to compete with Herman and would gain the experience needed when a number of the older guys disappear after this season because they’re on one-year deals. Quarles almost definitely gets sent to the practice squad because they can only carry nine defensive linemen and Bromley will be #9. No chance for keeping both fullbacks even if it looks like the tight ends aren’t able to make the necessary blocks that will help the running game when they are lined up in the backfield.

So would you still keep Berhe? Tough choice.

GOAT56 says:
    August 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM
    I’m looking at keeping 8 OL. I think the 9th we keep would just be to balance out the roster but we could find an equal player on our PS or on the street.

I’m also considering 5 LBs again but only if Beason proves he’s ready for week 1 before getting down to 53.

I’m keeping Behre. I’m putting Herman and Quarles on PS. Right now I keep Harris and Washington over Manningham. But if Manningham proves healthy I would keep Washington over Harris because I think Harris is easier to hide on PS because I think Washing will make another wow play or two. But we would be more likely to keep Harris over Washington because Harris is a guy we can trust.

fanfor55years says:
    August 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    Well, if you think we could just sign a street free agent who would come in and be able to help in a pinch on the offensive line, without having worked in McAdoo’s system all season, then I think you’re nuts. Even grabbing someone from the practice squad would be risky since they wouldn’t have had enough snaps with the others. Fewer than 9 offensive linemen would be taking the kind of huge risk that good teams rarely take.

Five linebackers? That means only Beason, McClain, Williams, Paysinger and Kennard. Neither Herzlich nor Fox? That would probably diminish the special teams pretty badly. I don’t see it.

But who knows? Frankly, thanks to likely injuries and the quality of play, the depth charts and roster decisions will change dozens of times between now and September.

I’m taking about keeping someone like Herman and another OL on our PS. So they are familar with our system or re-signing a guy like Brewer off the street.

Pretty sure we kept only 5 LBs last year. Guys like James and Behre help the special teams as well as a guy like Washington who has good special teams size for a WR.

But you’re right we don’t know injuries and other outcomes can can change a lot with the roster in the next month.

5.  kujo says:

I predict that ODB plays in the 3rd preseason game, snags a couple of balls, and takes one to the house.

Thereby silencing the ridiculous criticisms from Giants fans…

Nah, they’ll say he should have taken the other one in too, or complain that he only caught two balls so must not have been open otherwise.

They’re still criticizing Eli after all these years. There’s no satisfying them.

Talking about the tough decisions they’ll have to make at cornerback reminds me of just how good this defense could be.

The addition of DRC and Thurmond and Demps just about assures that the back of the defense will be very good. (I cannot help thinking that had Hill stayed on the straight-and-narrow this could be the best defensive backfield from top-to-bottom that the league has ever seen). I think the only player anyone can rationally worry about is Brown, and all reports are that he’s playing well so far. And I think we are going to see a BIG jump up from Prince and ‘Trel this season, with both improving on what were very good years last season and becoming members of the NFL elite in 2014.

The simple thing to say about the linebackers is that provided they stay healthy this is FAR and away the best group since the glory days of Giants linebackers. Beason was an outright steal. McClain is a VERY good player who is still a bit under the radar except for those in Baltimore who know how good he is (I know John Harbaugh loves him and thinks the Giants got a blue-chipper in him). And Jacquain Williams not only put on weight and has been apparently doing his run fits far better, but has also demonstrated that the game is no longer too complex for him. Word on the team is that now that he actually knows the defense, is bigger, and is healthier, he could have a Pro Bowl season. Paysinger is excellent depth at either outside position (and would start on many teams around the league) and Kennard is apparently turning heads and way beyond what most rookies can do early in their NFL careers when for most the game is too fast.

I know some question the defensive front. Not me. I think we have the strongest group of defensive tackles in years and one of the best in the league. I have way more confidence in Kiwi than most so believe the defensive ends will be excellent. I actually believe JPP when he says he’s ready to show what he can do, so I think he will be terrorizing offenses this season. Ayers is at least adequate. Moore is still a question because he’s young, but the talent is clearly there.

I think, again provided we stay reasonably healthy, this is a Top 3 defense in the league and quite possibly the best of them. While I suspect we will have some real issues on offense while players get used to the new system and youngsters make their inevitable mistakes, I think the combination of this defense and the special teams can win us plenty of games. And almost as important, I can see this defense inducing the crowd at MetLife to show some real enthusiasm. Nothing gets Giants fans more into the game than a stout defense that can make a lot of third down stops. I think we have that this season. It’s gonna be fun.

So I heard on the radio that Washington made just one catch today, but it was for a pretty long touchdown. Can a guy make the team based just on making the occasional big play? Maybe. Especially if he does well on special teams.

The final cuts at wide receiver are also going to be very tough ones. Jerry Reese did a superlative job with this roster. There’s actually more talent than can be used at a number of positions. Some of the guys who get cut could play for an awful lot of teams in the league.

If you want to discern where we still have work to do in the future, just consider which positions will NOT have cuts who can play elsewhere without much doubt: offensive line, tight end, quarterback (because we’ll be cutting the third string guy) and just maybe linebacker (depending upon how many are kept). We’re pretty loaded all the way down the depth chart elsewhere. This is a LOT more fun than we’ve had as fans over the past few years.

8.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

Mcbride was ranked #2 cornerback last year according to pro football focus which is actually pretty accurate. He was number 2 at completion percentage and yards per catch .