New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has been "close" to returning from a lingering hamstring injury for the better part of two weeks now. But, apparently, this time he really is close to returning. And only moments after head coach Tom Coughlin expressed some encouragement with his progress, the rookie wideout said his return is just "around the corner."
"It's something that can re-occur very easily if it's not strong enough, so it's really about testing the strength and the muscle groups around it," Beckham Jr. said. "Like I said, it's almost that time; it's getting to be around the corner."
Despite Coughlin's most recent optimism, the rookie did acknowledge that his head coach has gotten on him a bit about returning the field. But, Beckham Jr. says, "that's just how coach is," adding "I feel the same. I'd love to be back out there, so I don't mind if he gives me a hard time here and there."
Beckham Jr. was supposed to "get back out there" on Wednesday night and catch passes from some of the quarterbacks as opposed to the JUGS machine, but that did not happen. And while trainers did toss him a few balls and he did do some 100-yard sprints and cuts, Beckham Jr. says he's can't quite reach top gear just yet.
"I can definitely plant and can do all of that; it's just that I don't feel I can reach top, top speed [yet]," Beckham Jr. said. "Just kind of holding off, trying to get some more strength and then we'll be ready to go."
Although he couldn't say definitively, both Beckham Jr. and coach Coughlin sounded enthused about the potential of a full return sometime next week. In the mean time however, Beckham Jr. remains sidelined and is not expected to play on Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Coughlin
- Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Suffered “Tweaked” Hamstring; Team Unsure When He Can Return
- New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin “More than a Little” Disappointed with Odell Beckham Jr. Injury
- Trying to Salvage First Impression, Odell Beckham Jr. Has Private Meeting with Tom Coughlin