Still dealing with the news that running back David Wilson can no longer play football, the New York Giants were hit with another potentially serious injury on Wednesday evening as rookie defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles was carted out of practice with an apparent leg injury.
Following the injury, which occurred in 9-on-7 drills, the entire Giants team gathered at midfield, kneeled and said a prayer for their teammate.
Quarles, who signed with the Giants as an undrafted rookie free agent in May, finished his final season at South Carolina as a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) and second-team All-American selection, and had a third-round tag on his head for quite some time. But "questionable character" concerns ultimately led to him going undrafted.
He was among a small group of defensive tackles battling it out for a final spot on the 53-man roster (or perhaps the practice squad) and had shown flashes thus far in training camp.
We will update this story as more information becomes available.
Update: The Giants are calling the injury an "ankle sprain" for now, although initial reaction seems to suggest it was worse. Quarles went for x-rays on Wednesday night and the results will likely be announced on Thursday afternoon.
Other Notes: Former Giants wide receiver Ramses Barden has signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: David Wilson, Football, Kelcy Quarles, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants Friday Morning Storylines: Kelcy Quarles May Become a Popular Name
- New York Giants LB Jon Beason Suffers Foot Injury During Practice, Carted Off the Field
- Giants’ Jameel McClain, Brandon Mosley & Xavier Grimble Carted Off During First Camp Practice
- New York Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Continues to Miss Practice with Hamstring Injury