The New York Giants announced a number of roster moves on Tuesday evening, including the placement of running back David Wilson (neck) on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR). The team also waived defensive end Kendrick Adams, who was very active in Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills, and have signed veteran defensive end Israel Idonije and rookie tight end Jerome Cunningham.
Idonije, who went undrafted in the 2003 NFL Draft, has spent time with the Cleveland Browns, Chicago Bears (twice) and Detroit Lions. In 11 NFL seasons, he's played in 149 games, collecting 282 tackles, 29 sacks, six forced fumbles and 25 stuffs.
For Idonije, his best season came as a member of the Bears in 2010 when he made 49 tackles and added a career-high eight sacks.
After nine years with the Bears, Idonije signed with the Lions in 2013. He played in 15 games, but finished the season on Injured Reserve (IR) with a neck injury. At the beginning of this offseason, he returned to the Bears on a one-year deal, but was released two months after he had signed.
At 33-years of age, many figured Idonije had played his final NFL game, but he finds himself with one more potential opportunity with the Giants — if even just showcasing himself to the other 31 teams over the final four preseason games. If nothing else, he's a well-respected, high-character guy who can offer a little veteran influence to Giants youngsters.
Cunningham, an undrafted rookie free agent, played his college ball at Southern Connecticut State University. A three-year starter for the Owls, Cunningham hauled in 61 receptions for 690 yards and seven touchdowns over his career.
Meanwhile, David Wilson officially cleared waivers at 4:00 PM EST after being waived/injured on Monday. He was subsequently placed on IR where he will earn the remainder of his 2014 salary (full cap hit).
Adams had signed a Reserve/Futures contract with the Giants back in December.
Idonije will wear No. 72.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: David Wilson, Football, Israel Idonije, Jerome Cunningham, Kendrick Adams, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants Sign OG John Sullen; Waive WR Kris Adams After Failed Physical
- New York Giants Waive WR Kris Adams with Failed Physical Designation; Placed on Reserve/PUP List
- New York Giants Waive OL Stephen Goodin; Claim WR Corey Washington Off of Waivers from Cardinals
- New York Giants Add Four More UDFA; Waive DB Chaz Powell