August 5th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

The New York Giants will return to practice later this evening, but will do so without rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., who remains sidelined with a lingering hamstring injury.

Head coach Tom Coughlin confirmed on Tuesday that Beckham Jr. has not yet been medically cleared and there's no real indication when he'll get back out on the field.

Beckham Jr. initially suffered a hamstring "tweak" back in Organized Team Activities (OTAs) that resulted in him missing significant time. And although he later returned to take part in mandatory mini-camp, he re-injured himself after getting tangled up with cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie early in training camp and has not returned to practice since. He has however, "owned the JUGS machine" according to the New York Giants (no….seriously. That's not a joke).

In addition to Beckham Jr., the Giants will also be without defensive tackle Mike Patterson (shoulder), linebacker Jon Beason (PUP – foot) and wide receiver/return specialist Trindon Holliday (hamstring) during practice this evening.

"There's progress," Coughlin said. "There is progress with all of them. … We're making progress but we're not ready to turn them loose."

It remains unclear who else (if anyone) will join them on the stationary bike Tuesday evening, but they are among a group of 12 players who missed Sunday's Hall of Fame Game against the Buffalo Bills.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Coughlin, Trindon Holliday

Short URL:

18 Responses to “New York Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Continues to Miss Practice with Hamstring Injury”

Repost:

fanfor55years says:
    August 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    Well, again, I didn’t see the game, so my opinions are not of much value yet, but given that most seem to think Zack Bowman played well, I’ll say he’s a lock because he is well-known around the league as a terrific special teams player. That means DRC, Prince, Thurmond and Bowman are in. One more spot. Hosley gets to cool his heels for four games and hopefully learn (kid is a terrific athlete who just needs to learn the game and his assignments) while he doesn’t count against the roster.

So it’s McBride (who performed well for Perry Fewell last season) and James vying for the last roster spot with a chance to play well enough in the first month to knock Hosley off the roster for the season in the absence of an injury). I really like this James kid, but it’s a very tough choice. McBride may have had his best season as a pro last year, but he had it and there’s no reason to assume he cannot reproduce it. And he did that FOR Fewell and the Giants. Hard to walk away from what you know to what you hope will be better when what you know was pretty good. I hope Charles James beats him out, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

McBride had surgery during the offseason and has barely practiced. I don’t think he can live off of last year with the way James is playing. James is cheaper, under control for longer and I think has more upside. Also it appears we are playing much more press man to man this year which wouldn’t seem to favor McBride.

We’ll see. You know I love Charles James. I want him on the team. I think it will be a very hard decision.

I feel the same. I don’t see the value of keeping McBride over him at 5th CB now that he has proven he can play.

2.  jdimauro36 says:

I’m starting to get a little annoyed by this kid/injury. I was a D1 athlete until about a month ago and I understand hamstrings are a funky thing to deal with, but this kid has done nothing for about 2 weeks! When someone on my soccer team pulled a hammy they were out a month. The giants are saying its a tweak. The injury is either more significant or he is milking it.

God i sound like tom coughlin right now…

I just think its going to hurt them if he isnt out there week 1 and understanding the playbook

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I’m the first one on this board that calls out players milking injuries. And being an Athlete and competitive in BJJ, I understand the extent of an injury. However, 2 weeks is a long time to be sitting out with a “tweak”. It’s def something more.

•  James Stoll says:

can’t believe he is milking to avoid practice
        that’s a vet trick; not a rookie trying to impress; especially not a rookie on a Coughlin team where rookies always begin their careers -1 for starting

the kid “tweaked” it in OTAs; missed the end of those, came back a full month+ later at the start of camp and promptly tweaked it again
        I don’t know what tweaked means in
        Giant-injury speak, but it is pretty obvious that Beckum is delaying the startof his giant career
        if he’s not back practicing and playing by the Indy preseason game, odds are he begins the season 4th on the depth chart

go Corey Washington!!

3.  rlhjr says:

TO FF55:

The tight ends are still unsure of what to do (BLOCK) and where to be.
    The running game looks good when a real fullback is in the lineup. The tight ends are still learning how to block away from the line of scrimmage. At least one true fullback and maybe two had better make the final roster or there will be Trouble.

Berhe is a Pop Gator….AKA likes to hit. But his lack of speed will hurt him. He will be feared league wide if they let him stay on the roster for special teams.
    Would like to see each of the backs behind the first offensive line. To O-line still needs to generate at least a stalemate if not a push. Against the Bills #1 D-line our starting O-line looked bad. Need a left tackle who can run block. Overall O-line not impressive but should get better with time. The young center should be inserted at RT Guard.

JPP gets a pass until the third game. He should be in full stride by then. If not, he becomes a real question mark. Moore was so so. Only really showing up against the Bills O-line scrubs with a sack a two pressures. Linebacking was nothing special. J. Williams looks to have gained signifacant weight while maintaining his foot speed.

Cooper Taylor has vital signs. Nothing remarkable, but he’s around the ball. Didn’t realize how big a kid he is. He looks like a linebacker. The new kicker looks like he’s a good bet from 55 to 60 yards if pressed into trying from that distance. It would be hard to let go of Browns experience, but I’d be tempted.

The D-line will not miss Joseph. Hankins is a FN monster in waiting. If Patterson is playing well the DT will be second only to a healthy unit in Cinci. IMHO.

ONE LAST THING. Fewell showing the willingness to bring pressure off the edge with corner/safety and linebackers. Even run blitz in in order. WOW!

Well, I suspect Hynoski is going to be on this team. I just cannot see Coughlin allowing McAdoo to go into the season without a tough fullback so they can run the ball down the throat of defenses when they need to do so.

I have to personally see the tight ends before I can say a single thing about them, but it sounds from what you’re saying that they’re being asked early to do a lot and will benefit from having had the extra preseason game. I’ll be out there Saturday night to see for myself.

I don’t have confidence that Beatty will EVER be a quality run-blocker. I still think LT is a very high priority in the 2015 draft. I think we’re okay at the other O-line positions and it may be that Richburg will beat out Walton or Mosley, which would be fine. Still too early to worry about individual linemen, and I remain confident that they will prove to be an adequate line this season.

JPP doesn’t worry me at all….yet. No reason for him to go 100% yet. He probably wants to work his way back into football shape and take some punishment and make sure he’s ready for the season. But he needs to start looking quick over the next few weeks.

I’ve been telling everyone all along that this team will not miss Joseph and Fewell made the absolutely correct decision. And I still don’t think Tuck will be missed because I think Kiwi will be fine and Moore and Ayers should make up for any of Tuck’s production that was lost.

That’s great news about Fewell and the pressure. I am 100% convinced that with this secondary we have to bring pressure off the edge because if we do, and the tackles do what I expect them to do (collapse the pocket and get their arms up to block passing lanes in the middle) there should be plenty of picks out there for the taking. This defense could be a takeaway machine if they’re allowed to play aggressively.

•  Krow says:

Hyno is making it hard to cut him.

It would be crazy to do so. Giants’ football has to always include a strong running game. Coughlin is right about that. And we definitely have the horses for that this year.

McAdoo never saw a group of running backs nearly as good as these in Green Bay. The system has to fit the strengths of the personnel. And our running backs are going to be VERY good.

I meant Reese made the right decision on Joseph….but you probably knew what I meant.

We’re probably not making a run this year … so just get Beckham healthy. Oh, and get new strength and conditioning coaches. Yeah, do that too.

So I want to ask about Corey Washington. It sounds like everyone was impressed. The one photo I saw (of him making the catch on that long TD) looked like he caught the ball pretty low when the defender really made a poor play. Is that right, or did the photographer just catch him AFTER he had made a high catch and pulled the ball down? I’m just wondering, because if that was his one impressive play and it was really what it looked like in the photo, then I’m not ready to declare him all that much. I’m hoping the photo is deceptive and that he also made some other fine plays in the game. Is that so? It would be great to have one big receiver on the roster.

•  Krow says:

And he plays specials where he’s also impressed Gramps. I’m certain he’s got a roster spot. 6’4″ … cheap … gunner. Also catches balls.

“Hamstring Injury grade 2

A grade 2 hamstring strain will take two to three weeks of recovery for proper healing to occur. Do not allow yourself to put too much stress on the leg during this time because it will just increase the length of recovery time. With a grade 2 strain, you will have pain when walking, constricted range of motion, and tingling and pulling sensations in your leg. Until these symptoms are almost diminished, avoid physical activity. ”

Looks like ODB has a Grade 2 that he re-injured. Perhaps they rushed him back. Hard to say.

I’m at least co-presisdent of the no FB fan club but I think the chances of that went way down when Wilson got injured. The point of no FBs was to keep our RB talent. Without Wilson there’s at most 4 RBs we need to keep which leaves room for a FB. Plus I thought Hillis looked bad and not really worth a roster spot jsut the way he moved.

Washington has been flashing from practice reports but because he’s really a nobody (even draft guys never heard of the kid) we didn’t pay full attention until he made the same type of play in the game. Nassib under threw the ball and the kid made a play. He has the size we lack and TC likes his special teams play. He’s at least 50% chance to be on roster to me. And I do get some Victor Cruz flashbacks the way this kid has come out of nowhere.