New York Giants Kicker Josh Brown “Kinda Likes” the 33-Yard Extra Point

August 5th, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Following an Andre Williams three-yard score late on the first quarter on Sunday night, New York Giants kicker Josh Brown made history. He became the first person in NFL history to kick a 33-yard extra point attempt — a new adjustment the league plans to test until Week 3 of the preseason.

The purpose behind the league's extra point test is to add a little more excitement to the play. There had been some discussion about eliminating it all together and forcing team's to attempt the two-point conversation, but the 33-yard attempt became an agreed upon potential alternative. And while it doesn't necessarily seem like such a drastic change, extra points had been converted 99.6% of the time from the two-yard-line, where as field goals between 30-39 yards are converted at only an 89.8% clip.

Ultimately, each would amount to a 33-yard field goal and the man who kicked the very first, Josh Brown, says he "kinda likes" it.

Brown connected on a second 33-yard PAT in the fourth quarter following a 73-yard Corey Washington score, and appeared to do so with ease. Of course, it still amounts to just one point and the Buffalo Bills certainly didn't attack it like they would have an actual field goal. Whether or not that will continue for other NFL teams over the next two weeks could determine if the league will continue this test next season, possibly implement the rule or head back to the drawing board.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Andre Williams, Football, Josh Brown, New York, New York Giants, NFL

Short URL:

10 Responses to “New York Giants Kicker Josh Brown “Kinda Likes” the 33-Yard Extra Point”

1.  kujo says:

Well, I for one think that it’s retarded.

2.  GIANTT says:

I cant agree Kujo . Anything that can bring a LITTLE more excitement to an almost automatic play will make some game endings be more dramatic . It STILL gets converted at almost 90 % so its still almost a given

3.  William says:

I was surprised that nobody posted the article on Hakeem Nicks early struggles in Indy. The read between the lines article more than hinted that the coaches feel hes not yet in playing shape. Very strange these last 2 years with him?? What is the distraction that would lead him to such bizarro and needless to say self destructive behavior. Last year he comes up weak in a contract year and now the redemption chance of a life time to play with Luck in a wide open scheme and he goes into camp out of top shape??? I guess we shall see, still think in that Indy system he will flourish. Maybe that knee will never be right.

2 players who I thought were definitely on the team before the game that now I question are Hillis and Manningham.

Hillis just didn’t look good with his movement laterally. I know that he’s not know for being the quickest but he looked really slow, like true FB slow to me. If Williams and Cox and prove themselves as pass blockers then Hillis is in trouble. Plus I think our RB group would be better with a more diverse group, someone that brings some of the qualities we miss with Wilson.

Manningham has reported been slow to gain his explosion back. I thought it stood out that several young WRs played ahead of Manningham and that Manningham didn’t dominate the backup players he faced. That coupled with several young WRs standing out and Manningham is in some trouble. I’m not ready to say Manningham won’t make the roster but now I can ‘t say I would be surprised if he didn’t.

Also while I didn’t think Hosley played as badly as some he still was worse than his competition in James and Bowman for roster spots. Actually I’m comfortable with calling Bowman a lock. McBride is the other competition but is still not seeing regular playing time while recovering from offseason surgery. This is Hosley’s chance to edge ahead of McBride but he clearly got off to a poor start in doing so. We don’t usually cut draft picks before their contracts are up and Hosley has shown more than any draft pick we have cut. I think Hosley gets the benefit of the doubt if he makes it close but right now he seems to be behind.

•  rlhjr says:

James is the superior player. Hosley needs to show more tackling ability and tighten up his coverage. James is even looks to be the better open field runner.
      I dont think it’s really close between the two of them. James is a keeper. IMHO.

I think Hosley has shown to be a better cover man last game not withstanding. James is more physical and a better tackler. But I already have James in as my 5th CB. He’s not a lock but I think he’s close, especially on making the original 53. I have always thought that McBride was in more question than many realize. If it’s close I would think a young guy with upside is more appealing than a JAG as a 5th-6th CB. I do think we keep 6 CBs but if we only keep 5 McBride is in serious trouble. Hosley could be saved by his suspension since the suspension list doesn’t count against the 53 man roster. But McBride can’t be saved. I just don’t see the appeal of him over either Bowman or James.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Wilsons are not that easy to find.

Yep … My boy MM is in deep trouble. He needs to flash. That article I posted on Washington speaks volumes. Big, fast, cheap, and a gunner … he’s got a roster spot. Add in Randle, Jernigan, Cruz, ODB … quite a crowd. Step up Mario …. you can do it.