Following an Andre Williams three-yard score late on the first quarter on Sunday night, New York Giants kicker Josh Brown made history. He became the first person in NFL history to kick a 33-yard extra point attempt — a new adjustment the league plans to test until Week 3 of the preseason.
The purpose behind the league's extra point test is to add a little more excitement to the play. There had been some discussion about eliminating it all together and forcing team's to attempt the two-point conversation, but the 33-yard attempt became an agreed upon potential alternative. And while it doesn't necessarily seem like such a drastic change, extra points had been converted 99.6% of the time from the two-yard-line, where as field goals between 30-39 yards are converted at only an 89.8% clip.
Ultimately, each would amount to a 33-yard field goal and the man who kicked the very first, Josh Brown, says he "kinda likes" it.
Josh Brown (@Kickingitwith3) August 4, 2014
Brown connected on a second 33-yard PAT in the fourth quarter following a 73-yard Corey Washington score, and appeared to do so with ease. Of course, it still amounts to just one point and the Buffalo Bills certainly didn't attack it like they would have an actual field goal. Whether or not that will continue for other NFL teams over the next two weeks could determine if the league will continue this test next season, possibly implement the rule or head back to the drawing board.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Andre Williams, Football, Josh Brown, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants Kicking Competition Personal, but All Business for Josh Brown, Brandon McManus
- New York Giants Sunday Morning Storylines: Expect a Kicker Competition in Training Camp?
- Bill Polian Likes Giants’ Pick of Odell Beckham; Says He’s Major Upgrade Over Hakeem Nicks