Perhaps the most unexpected thing to come out of Sunday's Hall of Fame Game was the surprising lack of of injuries. Considering it was the first game of the entire season and that each team had little more than one week of training camp under their belt, the fact that neither the New York Giants nor the Buffalo Bills suffered any serious injuries is a tremendous positive.
It did not come without a significant scare, however — at least in the case of the Giants, who saw tight end Daniel Fells go down with what appeared to be a relatively serious knee injury.
As the team held their breath, and subsequently learned that running back David Wilson would be forced to retire from the game of football, Fells underwent necessary tests at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.
"Feel bad about Fells getting hurt," head coach Tom Coughlin said after Sunday's game.
But the Giants received good news as Fells was diagnosed with a "bone bruise" in his knee — something Coughlin referred to as a significant positive when you take into consideration how much worse it would have been.
"I know, there is an injury to Daniel Fells. I think he has a bone bruise, but I think that is where we are on that," Coughlin said during a conference call on Monday.
The Star-Ledger had previously reported Fells suffered a knee sprain, but whether it's a sprain or bruise is irrelevant in that the injury appears minor either way. And while Fells may be held out of some practices this week as a precautionary measure, the injury is of no long-term concern.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Buffalo, Buffalo Bills, Daniel Fells, David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Suffers Neck Burner; Injury a Serious Concern for Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Advised not to Play Football; Will Be Placed on Season-Ending IR
- New York Giants’ Larry Donnell Treated for Dehydration, Released from Hospital