New York Giants running back David Wilson is being "shut down" by team doctors as a result of his most recent neck injury, reports Josina Anderson. Additionally, there appears to be serious concern that Wilson's NFL career is, in fact, now over.
"Source. Giants doctors are shutting down RB David Wilson due to the neck injury that he sustained last year and most recently in camp. There is a belief that the injury could be career ending," Anderson tweeted.
Although the potential long-term prognosis could spell the end of his football career, Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports 1 reports this latest decision is a short-term decision only and that his long-term future with the Giants remains to be determined. However, the seriousness of his injury coupled with the risk factor of playing professional football will more than likely now end his career entirely.
Previously, it had been reported that Wilson would "need a miracle" after suffering a neck burner only six months after undergoing spinal fusion surgery to repair a damaged disc in his neck, but throughout the entire ordeal, the former first-round pick remained optimistic he would be cleared and return to the field.
"Less than 24 hrs away then I can be back out there wit my team," Wilson recently posted on Instagram with the hashtag "Monday."
If this latest "shut down" is only of the short-term variety, Wilson immediately becomes a temporary Injured Reserve (IR) option. However, and more likely, Wilson will be placed on season-ending IR and, if the team believes his neck injury is too serious to return from, could reach an injury settlement with him and subsequently release him.
Update: Citing a league source with knowledge of David Wilson's medical situation, Bob Glauber of Newsday reports that Wilson career is "most likely" over.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Could David Wilson’s Latest Neck Injury Be Final Nail in Coffin for New York Giants Career?
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Suffers Neck Burner; Injury a Serious Concern for Tom Coughlin
- David Wilson’s New York Giants Career Still in Jeopardy Due to Neck Injury?
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Faces Potential Career-Deciding Tests on Monday