August 4th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

The news was expected, but it doesn't make it any less painful to bear. The career of New York Giants running back David Wilson has ended.

The Giants announced on Monday afternoon that after visiting with spine specialist, Dr. Frank Cammisa Jr. of the Hospital for Special Surgery, he and team doctors have advised Wilson to hang them up and to never play professional football again.

“Dr. Frank Cammisa Jr., our spine specialist at HSS examined David this morning and following that exam, we both sat down and shared our perspective with David,” said Dr. Russel Warren. “David has diffuse cervical stenosis. He had a disc removed and a fusion in January. In light of last week’s episode of symptoms, sensory and motor, Frank and I both told David he should not play football any more. We let David know that by playing, he would be putting himself at risk for more episodes like last week or perhaps something more serious. ”

Despite Wilson's ever-optimistic outlook, he understands that a return to the field would now pose a serious risk to not only his long-term health, but potentially his life. Accordingly, he plans to comply with doctors orders and seek a life after football.

“I don’t want anybody to feel sorry for me, or pity me,” said Wilson. “I lived my dream. A lot of people only get to dream their dream. I lived that dream. Now I have a chance to dream another dream and live that, too.

“I’m thankful that I can literally walk away from the game and that I am healthy and capable of doing the same things I have done all my life, except play football. I always try to find the positive in everything. This morning when I saw Dr. Cammisa and Dr. Warren, I didn’t hear what I wanted to hear, but I expected that what they told me could be a possibility. I had played out both scenarios in my mind. I prayed this morning before I went to see them that they would tell me what God would tell me. He put His answer in them to relay to me.”

For the time being, Wilson will be placed on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) — a choice the team likely made so that he can collect his final paycheck. But following the conclusion of the season, it's expected that Wilson will officially announce his retirement.

“The whole idea for David is that he fulfilled his dream,” head coach Tom Coughlin said. “Even though his career was cut short, he remains positive and believes God has a plan. He has accepted this in such a way that is a great example for all of us. There is no self-pity. David is a strong person and extremely optimistic. He will meet his next challenge in life with the same enthusiasm he approached football.”

The silver lining for Wilson is that his current condition will not require any additional surgery or therapy. He will be able to continue his day-to-day life with the exception of contact sports.

We certainly wish Wilson the absolute best moving forward with his life and post-NFL career. Once a Giant, Always a Giant.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

54 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Wilson Advised not to Play Football; Will Be Placed on Season-Ending IR”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

Kid lived his dream. Most people can’t say that.

Come on Jim. Randall getting beat out by Washington, not happening. Randal was the 3rd WR last year and had 600 yards, not world beating but not bad either. Now he’s in an easier offense for WRs and gets starting snaps.

I think Wilson had more upside than that but as a rotational part of 3 very good RBs he would have helped. And he still has KR value.

I never said McCants was quality, simply he was a NFL level talent. That’s reasonable for a 6th round pick.

Hosley I thought was promising last year but last night wasn’t a good start.

Bromley is almost assured of being inactive for at least the fist half of the year. With Jenkins and Patterson’s age I think they want to rotate snaps more than they have in the past. Which is where Kuhn will contribute.

3.  Hanshi says:

In two seasons, he played in 21 games and attempted 115 carries for 504 yards and five touchdowns.

I thought it would be some hope for Wilson. But maybe that’s the best. At least he gets paid this year and should get disability or something from the NFL. Wish him the best. Maybe there’s a role in the organization for him if he earned/will earn his degree.

•  Hanshi says:

According to several league sources with knowledge of Wilson’s contract, he will be able to recoup a large portion of the guaranteed money owed to him over the next two seasons.

Good! He got injured playing for us and even tried to come back when some would have already hung it up. Some can question his abilities but it’s clear the kid was giving 100% to try to play.

I don’t think except for maybe safety reasons Painter should receive anymore preseason snaps until game 5. Nassib needs all the reps he can get and Painter getting reps is a waste unless it’s to save Nassib from playing behind a 3rd string OL. If we can play Painter in 3 quarters the next 2 games, 1 half the 4th & 5th preseason games. That’s 2.5 games worth of snaps. Imagine how much growth he can gain from that many snaps. He should get no less than 2 games worth of snaps in the last 4 preseason games combined.

•  James Stoll says:

agree 100% on this point
      Plus, Nassib did a respectable job last night
      aside from the bomb to Washington (who may well beat out Randall before the season is out — rhubarb and garbage $@#&*#) he had a couple of other nice throws
      where he looked bad was when protection broke down
      he not only got happy feet but he seemded to freeze as well
      of course Eli didn’t look too good the first 2 series either when there was zero offensive line

but as for Nassib/Painter; absent injury painter is an end of camp cut and there is no reason to play him in any pre-season game, except for the Jets game in which he should start and play until injured!!

6.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

And if Nassib reverts?????????

•  James Stoll says:

Painter is so bad that if Eli went down and Painter were your No. 2 — season automatically over
      Nassib is probably not alot better than paqinter right now, but he is younger with more up-side
      Gotta play Nassib to the exclusion of Painter

•  skinnydoogan says:

If Eli goes down, we have a better chance with Nassib than Painter, he is a steaming pile of ****

7.  James Stoll says:

so after a day of chewing things over, seems to be general consensus that the O-Line remains the glaring area of concern
    absolutely 2013-dreadful-like performance the first 2 series; better against seconds thereafter
    the line was so bad the first 2 series that you couldn’t single anyone out for approbation or praise
    Pugh got his lunch handed to him
    Schwartz and Walton seemed to get no push

Last year we watched the O-lIne get mauled all pre-season and then that carried over to the regular season and then got even worse as bodies started to drop

the next 3 games will be interesting in terms of seeing if the line can get any push against 1′s; open any holes against 1′s; provide any pass protection against 1′s

8.  James Stoll says:

one other positive from last night — as advertised, the rhythm was faster
    the O got to the LOS consistently with 15+ seconds left on the play clock; no delay of games

9.  kujo says:

First and foremost, this is the best case scenario for David Wilson, given the circumstances. He could’ve made his way through training camp and gotten popped for real in the regular season, possibly paralyzing him for the rest of his life. All told, he got a little burner that showed that his neck will never be football-ready again. Terrible news, but he’s able to walk away with his life and health intact. Better, he’s able to collect his 2014 salary (essentially $1 mil), and if his agent has an ounce of humanity, he’ll waive his fee and send the kid on his way. Cruz should find a position for him in one of his pantheon of off-field endeavors. Wilson is young, charismatic and seemingly a good person.

10.  kujo says:

To address the OL, let’s remember a few things:

1) Charles Brown isn’t a good football player, and will likely not be our starting left tackle this season. Beatty will probably give it a go in the next game, and we’ll see if he can bounce back (which, according to practice reports, he seems to be on track to do).

2) This was the first game that Brandon Mosley has started at RG since being named Snee’s replacement (possibly ever…I can’t remember if he played there at all last year). He did well, and he’ll get better, if he can stay healthy.

3) This was J.D. Walton’s first start in 18 months. He didn’t look very good, but his backup, Richburg, looked VERY good, and should push him for playing time by the end of training camp.

4) This was Geoff Schwartz’s first start at LG. He had a few good blocks, but absolutely WHIFFED on Eli’s sack/fumble. I’m not worried about him. He’s the real deal.

And most importantly…

5) We all know offensive lines thrive on continuity and chemistry. Aside from Pugh, none of the guys out there with the 1s were starters last year. It’s absurd to assume anything about these guys after 3 series of preseason football, particularly given the fact that there are at least 1, possibly 2, future starters who didn’t play with this group.

•  James Stoll says:

all true
      but all we can go on right now is what we see, the memory of 2103 will Beatty (2012 wasn’t much better), and the hope that others like Walton just need to shake off rust

as I said, they were dreadful against Buffalo’s 1′s, but better against their 2′s
      that already puts them at least a tad ahead of last year’s crew

•  kujo says:

I’m admittedly more optimistic than most about Beatty, and I see no reason why J.D. Walton would start at center over Weston Richburg.

But let’s also be very clear–Buffalo’s front 7 is no joke.

•  James Stoll says:

ah, the old Giant-fan fall-back position — the reason our team looked bad was because the other team was really good

I never find that justification particularly comforting

•  kujo says:

Nor do I. But there are good teams, and there are bad team, and you can’t really decide which one you are until you play them.

I’ll also point out that the group looked better each of the 3 series it played.

•  James Stoll says:

the third series was against the 2′s though; and the second series was better only if you ignore the sack/fumble (and pretty hard hit on Eli)

but I agree the jury is not even sequestered yet let alone reaching a verdict
              we are just looking at it real time and hoping for better next week

•  BigBlueGiant says:

they were also without Kiko Alonzo last night.

•  kujo says:

The Bills could be a dangerous team this year if EJ takes the next step.

•  skinnydoogan says:

JS I am not sure how you can possibly write off the offensive line already after one meaningless game. Right now we are experimenting, probably at least 2 of those guys are not even going to be starters. Jeez. Let’s wait until the stink in the regular season before we start this already.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i dont think he’s writing them off. But I def think they’re still the glaring hole on this team.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I was just feeling pretty good about everything, sure there are holes but it is too early to start feeling like we all did last year. I refuse to believe that it can be as bad as last year, in any area of the team.