August 4th, 2014 at 10:00 AM

When Michael Strahan was introduced prior to kickoff of the 2014 Hall of Fame Game, he was almost immediately surrounded by every single player on the New York Giants roster. It was a surprise move concocted by head coach Tom Coughlin to honor the new Hall of Fame inductee and a reminder that Big Blue will, forever, love and appreciate his 15 years.

And admit, you got goosebumps. Of course you did. We all did. And then you got shivers up and down your spine as the entire group surrounded him at midfield, jumping up and down, "stomping" their opponents out.

Keep in mind, only three of those guys were ever Strahan's actual teammates. But the way they reacted, the way they followed his lead… It was a true testament to the man and the player. Michael Strahan is a true leader, and no matter how famous he becomes for his media dominance, he will always be known as No. 92, the captain, to those boys in blue.

"We were so proud of Michael Strahan, so excited to come out here and be a part of this ceremony. To be there last night was really a tremendous thing because here’s a guy that waits until 11 o’clock to speak and yet still is really terrific with a mic in his hand. I just couldn’t be prouder of him, the things that he’s accomplished both on the football field and post-football," head coach Tom Coughlin said after the game. "We gave him a little, we tried to surprise him tonight. I told the players, ‘When he walks out there we’ll run out there and just give him a pat on the back and then get back in line so we don’t get fined or taken out of here.’ It’s been a really good experience."

What was supposed to be a tribute to Strahan quickly evolved into something a little more. The looks on the players' faces, the adrenaline coursing through them as they "stomped them out" was somewhat unexpected, although it really shouldn't have been. As players did during his 15-years with the Giants, they were quick to rally around someone who amounts to an eternal leader. It was truly a special moment in New York Giants history.

"To see him out today and have him break down the team one last time and give us his traditional move with the stomp, that was fun. I know a lot of guys haven’t gotten the opportunity to witness that. Only me and DeOssie and Mathias are the only guys on this team that had ever seen that in person," quarterback Eli Manning said. "I’m glad he got to do it one last time and also to let some of these new teammates get to hear him talk and do his thing."

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

25 Responses to “Michael Strahan Has One Final Shining Moment with New York Giants Prior to Hall of Fame Game”

1.  kujo says:

Truly don’t get the sudden uptick in suspicion for Herzlich. The dude is a special teams ace who came in as a UDFA 3 years ago. So he’s cheap, and knows the system. He doesn’t look like he will ever be a high quality starter, but I don’t see anyone displacing him this year. Kennard will be McClain’s backup at SLB; Paysinger will work in tandem with J-Will; and Beason will have both McClain and Herzlich as a backup.

He’s not going anywhere.

2.  kujo says:

That 2012 draft is looking mighty terrible right now.

Wilson, Randle, Hosley, Brewer and Robinson.

There’s at least a 50/50 chance that half those guys will be off the team after training camp.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

a few things…

Think we got a great pick in Andre Williams. Fast, runs hard and he showed great ability to get into the end zone when we were on the 3. Jennings looked good too.

Our WR’ had a tough time getting open. might be the new system. JJ made a nice catch on the 1st down play, other than that, not much in the passing game for Eli. I like this Washington kid. He made a VERY nice play on that long ball. He keeps this up, he might be a sleeper to make the team.

The d-line looked good. Hank played well and D’moore looks like he’s slimmed down a bit. I hate to throw the “told you so” in there, but looks like JPP might be an Average DE from here on out. Hopefully he gets back to “good” but the days of “great” might be over. He was getting stuffed by rookie and JPP seemed to have given up on certain plays. I know it’s one pre-season game, but still. This is going on for a while.

Our secondary looks pretty good in coverage. I was a little concerned about Rolle though. He seemed to be getting over the top a little late on the 2 balls that were thrown deep (pause).

RB’s looked solid. Impressed with both these guys.

And last and LEAST. TE. I think it’s time that Adrian Robinson really should be worried about making this roster. Fells and Donnell look the part right now, and I think that would suffice at that position. Donell was open a few times but Eli didn’t look his way.

all in all, nice first game. A long way to go, but there was some promising things.

•  Krow says:

I think Hose-me found Will Hill’s stash.

•  skinnydoogan says:

BBG, I am going to give it to you, called JPP last year. If he doesn’t show something in the next few games, then he is a one hit wonder. At least we will not have the problem of having to pay him an enormous contract, although I would gladly do it, if he showed up in his old form.

•  skinnydoogan says:

How did it go with the foot BBG?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

foot went well, thanks. No surgery or bone shaving needed. Just have to grind through the injury, until healed.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Hey, I really hope im wrong. And i think that he’ll play better than he did last night. But i’m really not expecting the 16.5 sack season he had a few years ago. Our pass rush def concerns me.

•  Krow says:

The pass rush has the potential to undermine the entire defense.

•  James Stoll says:

if we don’t get back a healthy Beason, and if McClain is not a serious upgrade over whoever else is playing SAM, the defense will struggle to get off the field

I think concern is fair for JPP but rendering a verdict already is way too soon. We need JPP to be the first half of 2012 version to be a top 5-10 type of defense. Last night wasn’t a great start. But I do think not only could JPP have been not going all out but maybe Henderson the LT is begging to realize his potential. That kid should have been in the mix for us at #12 if he had his head screwed on straight. He looked in excellent shape too.

The TEs are not looking like anything special. Fells lessor Boss type of presence because he’s not great but can make some decent plays in the passing game. Donnell and Robinson are still thinking out there. They are 3rd year guys and both raw coming into a new offense. We need to play them a lot in preseason. Maybe I’m wrong and they can’t be anything but if they can be something game experience is the only real way to help them.

I don’t think Hosley was nearly as bad as it seemed to many. But his roster status is clearly in question because James seems like he’s passed him. Bowman is a roster lock. McBride is the player he might be battling for the last roster spot at CB.

I thought Cooper was much more active than last preseason at safety. Behre showed with that hit to me he should be on the roster. He just flashes a pure football that at worse adds to the special teams.

I really really was impressed by the young WRs. I said several times I thought we only had 5 NFL quality WRs on this roster but I was wrong. Washington if he can play specials has value because he prove size we don’t otherwise has. Seeing that play gave me some Cruz flashbacks. Not saying he’s anything on that level but he’s certainly in the legit mix for a roster spot.

Parker getting so many chances as a PR makes me wonder if he has a real roster chance. He also flashed at WR and just could be a more more secure option as a PR than Holiday and just a better WR.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I have to disagree about Hosley, not sure what you were seeing. Unless a corner in pursuit is considered good.