August 1st, 2014 at 9:00 AM
By Doug Rush

It was almost one year ago when Stevie Brown hit the turf at MetLife Stadium with a knee injury that ended his season for the New York Giants in 2013, as he tore his ACL while returning an interception against the New York Jets in the preseason.

A year later, Brown, now fully recovered from the ACL injury and surgery, is back on the field and ready to take back his starting job that he won in 2012 when Kenny Phillips went down with injuries and a starting job he would have had to battle Will Hill for if not for him being suspended for a third time in three years and eventually, lead to his release.

But because Hill is now gone, Brown is the guy again playing alongside Antrel Rolle and as he mentioned this week during training camp, Brown has had to re-build his game in efforts to becoming the guy that broke out on the scene two years ago.

"You're forced to take a step back, and you have to rebuild your game as you're getting healthier," Brown said before Giants practice Thursday. "There are some things that I excelled at in the past that took a while to get back before I could just break-and-cut, break-and-cut. I had to start off with the little things — coming downhill, addressing myself like I was going to be in the run game, just basic football patterns rather than going out right away and getting in deep thirds and breaking off. I had to start by making sure I could come to balance, breaking down in the tackling game, shifting one way, shifting the other way, things like that. Just a big, gradual process to get back to where I am now."

Last year, Brown got encouragement and advice from his former teammate in Terrell Thomas, who tore his ACL twice in two years while with the Giants and was able to recover and play well in 2013; Thomas has since signed with the Seattle Seahawks. It's not uncommon for guys to bounce back and play again after tearing their ACL; Thomas was a rare case to come back from two in two years. With his rehab now in the rear mirror, Brown is full speed ahead and back to playing his game; the game that lead to him taking over as a starting safety two years ago.

"I'm able to do everything right now," Brown said. "No limitations to anything. I take all the reps that they want me to take and just go out there and do everything I need to do."

Sunday's Hall of Fame game; the first preseason action of the season against the Buffalo Bills will be the first live action Brown will see since that dreadful night last August in East Rutherford and it will likely be a breath of fresh air to be in pads again playing football instead of on a sideline watching or in a trainers room rehabbing a knee.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Antrel Rolle, Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Stevie Brown, Terrell Thomas, Will Hill

Short URL:

15 Responses to “Stevie Brown Rebuilding His Game, Looking to Reemerge for New York Giants in 2014”

Tom Coughlin stresses three things … good special teams play … avoiding injuries … and being on time for team meetings.

We’re batting .333

Well, we NEED Brown, Demps and Taylor to come on fast. I am assuming that Fewell is going to allow his corners to play tight against receivers this season, unlike in past years. But that requires their having confidence that if someone inevitably escapes via a good double move that the safeties have their backs. They can count on Rolle. But we still need to see Brown do a good job on his assignments, Demps show what he’s got, and Taylor take a big leap to where he is a reliable player out there in his second season. Preseason is going to be big for the safeties.

As for the tackles, if Kuhn is really doing as well as reported I think we’re going to have a great rotation there. Jenkins is a very solid player, Patterson can be way more than solid, Hankins should come on very strong as his snap count is increased, and if Kuhn can play hard and fast in his more limited opportunities then that group will be one of the defensive strengths. I think it will be. I’m sticking with what I’ve said since the off-season started: this team will not really miss Joseph, or Tuck.

3.  T-Thom97 says:

seriously why do we have the same strength and conditioning coach???? and as of now we are on pace to match that again this year…. we need a change!

4.  skinnydoogan says:

Wow trolled again. Allow me to address this Dan. Even though this is virtual, I am pretty sure nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to be here. With that in mind, don’t let the virtual door hit you on the a$$ on the way out. You sir are not just a jack a$$ you are a complete one, in every sense of the word.

5.  JClare says:

5th rate site?? You are an idiot. This site has the best Giants coverage out there. Take a hike ya butt plug!!

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

jeeeeeez. Give the guy a break. He busts his Ball$ and emptied his finances into this website.

And you’re wrong about Cal Ripker Jr. Brah… He had an offseason to take his breaks.

7. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I see we have a clever troll who keeps changing his IP address and e-mail address so I can’t block him. Hopefully he will tire himself out here soon. Apologies, guys and gals.

Football 2 days away.

8.  BigBlueGiant says:

i’ve been singing the same song about Jerry Palmeri for YEARS now…

As someone who trains with professional athletes, I can surely tell you that i’m pretty sure that Palmeri’s workout routine is old and outdated. My guess is that most of these guys have such a different workout regiment in the offseason, that when they get to Giants camp, they’re just no used to Palmeri’s ways of working out. When your body is soooo used to being worked a certain way, and then you do something entirely differently, a lot of times their will be complications on the muscles, ligaments and tendons. Especially like the monsters that play in this league, due to their sheer size.

It seems that EVERY YEAR this is a problem. And yet nothing has been done. Isn’t John Mara a little worried that we have so many injuries piling up all the time?

•  rlhjr says:

I hear you blue. I figure Coughlin should be the one jumping up and down on the desk of Palmeri and Reese in order to bring some change.

Especially when it’s TC who loses his mind when a kid gets injured and is out for what Coughlin deems a significant amount of time. You would think after five years of “SOS” something would have to be done.

Unless of course Palmeri is a “MADE GUY”. His (so called) fitness program is kicking the law of averages in the teeth.