The New York Giants announced on Friday that they have placed offensive lineman Troy Kropog on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) with a foot injury. In a corresponding roster move, the team has signed tackle Adam Gress to replace Kropog on their 90-man roster.
Kropog, who was a fourth-round pick of the Tennessee Titans in the 2009 NFL Draft, signed with the Giants in early January as part of bulk additions, which also saw the team bring in kicker Brandon McManus, tight end Daniel Fells and others. He was slated to compete for a reserve role on the offensive line — primarily at tackle — prior to suffering a foot injury during an earlier training camp practice.
Gress, meanwhile, is an undrafted rookie free agent out of Penn State. The 6'7'', 309 lbs. offensive lineman played in 32 games during his college career, starting 12 of them, including eight during his senior season.
Gress had previously attended mini-camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers and also had a private workout for the Giants back in late May.
"I would take any contract offer or roster offer in the order that it comes," Gress said in late May. "I think if the Giants offered me something Wednesday, I'm a New York Giant and completely happy with that.
"It's all about opportunities, and taking things one step at a time. The first one of those guys that are interested me, I'll go with. Those opportunities don't come around often."
Three months later and he'll finally put on that 'NY.'
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Adam Gress, Brandon McManus, Daniel Fells, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tennessee, Tennessee Titans, Troy Kropog
- Ex-Giant Osi Umenyiora Inducted into Troy University’s Sports Hall of Fame
- New York Giants Sign DT Everett Dawkins, OT Demarcus Love; Release Two
- New York Giants Sign OG John Sullen; Waive WR Kris Adams After Failed Physical