July 31st, 2014 at 11:00 AM
By Doug Rush

The neck burner David Wilson suffered this past week in practice is not looking good at all for him or the New York Giants.

Wilson, who was already coming off season-ending neck surgery due to suffering a spinal stenosis injury back in October, suffered the burner in practice and it looks like Wilson may "need a miracle" to even get back onto the field for 2014, as Jordan Raanan and Conor Orr of the Newark-Star Ledger reported.

"According to multiple sources, the running back, who suffered a "burner" during Tuesday's practice, months after undergoing spinal fusion surgery, is a long shot to return to the field. One person with knowledge of the running back's medical condition told NJ.com that Wilson "needs a miracle."

Wilson is set to meet with his surgeon, Dr. Frank Cammisa, the same guy who performed the spinal fusion surgery on Wilson back in January, on Monday to further evaluate how his neck is, but as the reports have said, it's not looking great for Wilson's chances right now. In the mean time, he is sitting out the rest of the week's practice and will not play in Sunday's pre-season Hall of Fame Game against the Buffalo Bills.

With spinal stenosis being an NFL career killer in the past, taking the careers of Michael Irvin of the Dallas Cowboys and Chris Samuels of the Washington Redskins, the Giants have to fear that Wilson might fall into the same boat as those players, especially now that he's suffered another neck injury just seven months after having his neck surgically repaired.

With Wilson out, the running back duties will fall mostly on Rashad Jennings, Peyton Hillis and rookie Andre Williams.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Andre Williams, David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Peyton Hillis, Rashad Jennings

Short URL:

14 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Wilson ‘Needs a Miracle’ to Get Back on the Field in 2014: Report”

1.  skinnydoogan says:

Sounds like that guy “belgarath” has a saggy diaper on today.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

funny, i’ll be at HSS on Monday as well. Getting a bone in my foot looked at to see if it needs to be shaven down.

Anyway, I have heard from my friend at HSS that the prognosis was actually better than expected but the Giants are going to IR him ( she said Disabled list). IF any case he IS IR’d, i don’t see how the Giants are going to let him play or even come back this year.

I think that’s a wrap on this kid. Personally, i think he was a bit overrated as a player. But I wish him the best healhwise.

So now THREE rookies (Kennard, Beckham AND Williams) will be critical to the fate of the 2014 Giants. And at some point it’s quite possible Richburg will be added to that list.

Personally, I think anything that gets Andre Williams more touches is a good thing, though I certainly didn’t want it to be this way.

Peyton Hillis just made the roster without question and now Cox has a real shot too. Good thing Hillis came into camp fit and loaded for bear.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

^^^^ DING DING DING DING ^^^^^^^^

Let’s just hope Andre Williams picks up the blocking scheme fairly quickly.

I think Williams went from almost a luxury to the most important rookie. Jennings while our #1 RB isn’t going to have 300 carries. Williams is going to be need and I think this becomes like a Jacobs, Bradshaw carry split with Jennings being our 3rd down RB. We have vets liek McClain, Beason, Randle, Crus and Jernigan that can make ODB and Kennard not as needed but Hillis does provide that and I almost feel Cox given his college experience isn’t much different than a rookie since it’s a new offense.

It’s a shame and this changes several things:

1) With Cox we only have 4 NFL quality RBs so there’s no reason not to keep a FB.
    2) Williams goes from a shortage specialist to a 1B RB. Since I see Jennings being our 3rd down RB I see Williams getting a lot of early down snaps.
    3) It makes James close to a roster lock IMO. Holiday I still think gets cut but we need other PR options. Even if James isn’t our starting PR he is much more needed. Wilson was getting PR looks.
    4) Maybe a RB outside the buidling is an option instead of Hillis or Cox. Our RBs are not that different and we really lack a change of pace RB.

Well, as man y will know, I absolutely loved the Williams pick, and I am a fan of Charles James. So I hope you’re right about both of them.

And I think we were always going to keep a fullback, though the possibility of not doing that was there.

5. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I’ve worked 1,510 straight days (yes, literally … 1,510 STRAIGHT days), so I am trying to take a little break. I’m sorry some here (comments already deleted) have a hard time accepting that. I ran out of gas. Sorry.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Enjoy your time off, we’ll hold down the fort.

You HAVE to take breaks or you’ll burn out.

Whomever gave you grief is a jerk. Ignore them. Maybe they’d like to volunteer to write articles in your absence? No, I didn’t think so.

But don’t worry, like skinny says, we’ll hold down the fort. Hey, get norm back and writing his sometimes brilliant tomes and you can take a week off and we’ll just riff on our own.

•  GmenMania says:

You shouldn’t have to apologize. Everybody needs to take time off eventually. People get burned out, and anyone who derides you for taking a well-deserved break is, frankly, an idiot. Enjoy your time off.