July 30th, 2014 at 2:00 PM
By Doug Rush

In today's world of sports, it's tough for a player to stick with one team throughout their entire career given the fact that free agency, trades happen nowadays whereas 10-20 years ago, it was possible, more common than anything else, for a player to play on one team.

So far, Eli Manning has been able to accomplish that, playing his 11-year entire career with the New York Giants and something he hopes to do for the remainder of his NFL career.  In fact, Manning hopes to be able to emulate the career that New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has had, being able to play for just one team throughout the course of a career; Jeter of course is retiring at the end of 2014 and will have played his entire 19 years in one spot. Eli told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News of his desires to do the same.

“I think that’s always your goal, especially after you’ve been there a number of years, to finish with an organization,” Manning said. “I think that’s where you are comfortable, especially a terrific organization like the New York Giants. Obviously, you never know the circumstances that might pop up and what will occur. So you got to take advantage of the years that you are here and the years you are playing and make them the best.”
Manning has always been very fond of and respected Jeter; he said he tries to keep in contact with him whenever possible and him and his brother Peyton Manning made a visit to Yankee Stadium earlier in the season to see Jeter play at least one last time before retirement. Manning said the best thing he likes about the 40-year-old Yankee captain is his ability to be a role model.
“He’s been a good role model and we’ve kept up with each other a little bit,” Manning told the Daily News on Monday. “On and off the field, what he’s been able to do as a player and the way he’s respected and the way he’s gone about his business — for a young player in New York, he’s a good role model."
Manning even remembered when Jeter, a 30-year-old shortstop and just nine years into his career, called up the then rookie quarterback in 2004 during his first year in the league to offer him advice during a tough part of the season.
“He was supportive of me. We had lost a few games and he was trying to get a feel for things,” Manning said. “He said to keep grinding, keep working.”
And work Manning just did; as he won his final game of that 2004 season against the Dallas Cowboys, then got the Giants into three straight playofff appearances before finally winning Super Bowl XLII in February of 2008.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Derek Jeter, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, New York Yankees, NFL

Short URL:

23 Responses to “New York Giants’ Eli Manning Remembers Derek Jeter’s Advice 10 Years Ago; Wants to Emulate His Career”

I heard our strength and conditioning coaches telecommute. Just a rumor …

2.  Dirt says:

@4stillRunning: Left practice early yesterday but everything turned out to be fine once the Dr. Looked @ me

•  kujo says:

The barometer for “fine” is somewhat different when you have a neck injury and make your living smashing your body into another person at superhuman speeds. “Fine” is being able to walk and wipe your own a**. We’ll see if he’s gonna be “fine” to play football.

•  Dirt says:

Left practice early yesterday but everything turned out to be fine once the Dr. Looked @ me plus I passed all physical examination. I find out more on Mondsay #gottagetback #pocketrocket

3.  kujo says:

Was talking to my wife about this the other night. It dawned on me recently that my son will very likely never see Derek Jeter play live. The Yanks could theoretically get hot and make a run at the pennant, but I doubt they’d make a deep enough run in the playoffs to be playing when Joseph is due (Oct. 28th).

Jeter will be to him what Mickey Mantle was to me; a vague conception of his father’s childhood hero, known only through the stories he is told. It’s pretty strange to think that way.

Let’s hope Eli gives us another couple of runs at the Lombardi for me to share with Joey in his first few years as a Giants fan.

•  skinnydoogan says:

You are very right, thankfully I got to witness all of Jeter’s career and my kids got to see most of it as well, my youngest is 17. I remember my Dad talking about Mantle and all the other greats not giving it much thought, it makes sense now.

4.  Dirt says:

I am a resident O, so I will say the following:

David Wilson’s neck was surgically repaired. As in, repaired. As in, it’s not out of order any more. So unlike the saga of concussions which to have a history of leading to further concussions and thus have never been repaired, David Wilson’s neck is seemingly no more likely to lead to significant injury than anyone else in the league. Because it was repaired.

I saw Mickey Mantle play his entire career. I even saw Joe DiMaggio play in his final year as a Yankee. I will always be thankful to my father for giving me that opportunity even when I was a real youngster. I saw all of Roger Staubach’s career, starting at Navy. In fact, I’ve seen almost every one of the greatest players in the NFL and NBA play live.

So I can tell you that seeing Derek Jeter play his entire career has been a treat, and the same goes for Eli. Like Jeter, there are many who will always insist he is/was overrated, but those are the people who haven’t seen every day of his career and what he has meant to his team and how he conducts himself. Like Jeter, Eli Manning is everything that is RIGHT about professional sports. It is a shame that many Giants fans don’t recognize what they’re seeing right in front of their eyes.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Most of us get it FF, if others choose to hate on Eli, that is their opinion, let it go man.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Let me clarify, that was not a declaration of war to start an argument, I respect you immensely FF even if we don’t always agree, it’s just those Eli “bashers” don’t seem to be around anymore, if they are, I have not noticed them. I think for the most part, those of us that are on here every day would not trade Eli for anyone else. Yeah, he makes us mad sometimes, but damn behind that goofy exterior is a stone cold killer.

Yeah, I think even the folks who dumped on Eli around here have been, for the most part, won over. But there are still many, many, Giants fans and legions of others who are not Giants fans, who think Eli is “nothing special”. I’m not talking about the morons who give Dan plenty of weekly ammunition for his Poor Eli riff. I’m talking about otherwise semi-intelligent fans and pundits. If you just look at statistics and you don’t know enough about this team to understand the hurdles that Eli has had to overcome you just have no idea how good he’s been.

Thus it will always be. Just as there are fools who think Derek Jeter wouldn’t have been anything special had he played for another team (“after all, without those rings would he be a Hall of Famer?”….to which the answer is a resounding “YES”), there are even more fools who think Eli Manning is a mediocre quarterback who just happened to get luckily hot in two games in his life and is therefore not only not worthy of Canton, but shouldn’t even be considered one of the better quarterbacks of his era. Meanwhile, he just shows up, does his job, leads his team, has his two Super Bowl MVPs, and makes plays at times when other shall we say more highly regarded QBs tend to shrink away.

I’d take Andrew Luck over Eli, as I’ve said since Luck was a senior at Stanford, because Luck will be greater for a lot longer time. But with that exception I’ll take Eli over any other quarterback in the sport right now.

Believe me the Eli hate is real. I have recently got in to heated debates with fans from other teams trying to tell me Eli is average. His interception totals are what’s used. Eli has lead the NFL in interceptions since he became a starter. And there are still those that think our defense and running game lead us to our SB wins. If Eli doesn’t win another SB getting into the HOF is no sure thing because of the perception many have of him.

6.  skinnydoogan says:

Where is everyone?

7.  skinnydoogan says:

Wake up Fella’s

My son tells me he heard Wilson is done. A real shame. But the kid can go on and have a good life. And the Giants’ running game will be fine.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

my friend at HSS said that the prognosis was actually a little more positive. BUT, given the history of his Injury, and chances of him hurting it again, thinks the Giants WILL put him on the IR ( she said Disabled list).

9.  T-Thom97 says:

this site don’t suck all of a sudden….one slow day and that’s what you say….anyway sucks about Wilson but we don’t know nothing yet. just speculation as of now

10.  skinnydoogan says:

Have fun over there Jack a**