The New York Giants were hoping to get their first round draft pick Odell Beckham Jr. integrated into the offense this summer during training camp, but it looks like the team will have to wait a little while longer to break out their newest weapon.
Beckham, who has been bothered with a nagging hamstring injury since OTA's and has been out since the first practice of training camp, will be out at least another week, as Jordan Raanan and Conor Orr of the Newark-Star Ledger reported on Tuesday.
"The Giants can breathe a little easier. Their first-round pick's hamstring remains a minor problem. Tests Monday on wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. came back negative, according to two people briefed on the injury. The individuals requested anonymity in order to speak freely on the matter. Beckham wasn't on the practice field Monday because he was undergoing tests on his troublesome hamstring. He is expected to be sidelined at least another week."
Beckham was brought in to replace the departed Hakeem Nicks after two straight disappointing seasons and the team has very high expectations for their newest play-making wide receiver, who is expected to compete for a starting spot against Jerrel Jernigan.
The good news with Beckham's injury is that it's not serious and the team keeping him out at least another week as a precaution is the right move to make as obviously, it's better to have Beckham back for the start of the regular season as opposed to trying to play him in meaningless pre-season games and risk further injury in which he's not available during the regular season.
With Beckham likely to miss another week to recover and rehab the hamstring, it's unlikely that the Giants will have Beckham available and ready to play for their first pre-season game on Sunday against the Buffalo Bills in Canton, Ohio for the Hall of Fame Game.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Buffalo, Buffalo Bills, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerrel Jernigan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr.
- New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. Tweaks Hamstring; May Miss Some Time
- New York Giants Should not Rush Odell Beckham Jr. Back from Hamstring Injury
- New York Giants not Rushing Odell Beckham Jr. Back Following Hamstring Issue
- Giants’ Tom Coughlin Growing Impatient with Odell Beckham Jr. as He Continues to Miss Practice
- Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Suffered “Tweaked” Hamstring; Team Unsure When He Can Return