July 28th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin was not pleased when rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. "tweaked" his hamstring early in Organized Team Activities (OTAs) and was forced to miss time. Now that the talented LSU product is missing training camp practices, Coughlin's patience is all but gone as he admitted on Sunday that the injury is "more than" a little disappointing.

"It’s more than [a little disappointing]," Coughlin said. "You’re trying to put a team together. We saw too much of that in the spring. It’d be nice to get him back practicing. He actually looks pretty good moving around, catching the ball, not favoring anything. I’m just hoping it’s a real short amount of time."

As impatient and disappointed as Coughlin is, the veteran coach realizes he's beating a dead horse at this point. Whether or not Beckham Jr. wants to be on the field — and whether or not Coughlin wants him to be on the field  — is irrelevant. As of now, the team's medical staff is not budging and there's nothing Coughlin nor Beckham Jr. can do about it.

"They’re not going to let him go if he’s in the danger of hurting himself. That’s all there is to it," Coughlin said as he grew increasingly annoyed with the questioning. "I can stand there and fight all I want, but it’s not going to happen. When they feel he can go and not risk any recurring injury, they’ll let him go."

Beckham Jr. acknowledged Coughlin's frustration on Sunday, adding that the coach isn't necessarily angry with him, but rather the situation itself. It's something Beckham himself understands as he, too, admits a growing frustration over missing practice time.

However, if there's any one positive about the current situation, it's that Beckham Jr. didn't re-injure his hamstring by casually running a route, but rather, a fluke occurrence where he got his cleat tangled in the shoelace of cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, which led to this new "tweak."

Should he continue to miss practice time, it's unlikely he'll play on Sunday against the Buffalo Bills in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game — something he was very much looking forward to.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

31 Responses to “New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin “More than a Little” Disappointed with Odell Beckham Jr. Injury”

1.  kujo says:

Shut the f*** up, Tom. Just let it go. No need to vaginate all over the place. We get it, and we agree–we all want to see him practice and play. But it’s July 28th. Relax.

Reading the comments in full, it’s not as bad as the headline sounds. It just seems like TC just needs to keep his frustration to himself if the decision is that of the doctors.

Hey, as long as Tom has “matured” into being mad about the injury, and not at the player for being injured, he can be as angry as he likes. Just don’t take snaps from the kid when it counts.

And in other news, how funny is it that after a week of camp it looks like Nassib is starting to look better and Robinson is doing a good imitation of hopeless? Thank goodness Reese had the smarts to go sign two experienced tight ends in the offseason. For all we know those two may wind up #1 and #2 on the depth chart. They may not be anything special, but at least one can catch and both can block. Don’t look now, but these first few preseason games may determine the career of “the JPP of tight ends”. He’d better play well or he’ll find himself being rightly written off.

Oh, one other thing. Let’s all remain calm when the offense looks awful in that Hall of Fame game. Long way to go.

•  kujo says:

Robinson is terrible, was terrible, and will remain terrible in the future.

Read it now, believe it later.

•  kujo says:

Dude was drafted on spec alone. Another example of Reese thinking he’s smarter than everyone else.

•  skinnydoogan says:

That wasn’t Jerry Reese who drafted him, it was Jerry Reach, his alter ego 4 round tanking twin.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

And he is probable tall enough to reach the top shelves as he re-stocks supermarket shelves in his second career

•  kujo says:

And I said the same thing last night about the offense. We’ve all gotta wait until late-September/October before we REALLY see it anyway. They’re not gonna roll out anything special in the preseason.

Situations help make the player. They need to be thrown into the game when it counts … and put in a position to succeed. Rotting on the bench while they try to master the fine points of the game has to suck the life out of anyone. I’m sick and tired of hearing about this shortcoming or that. How so-and-so has potential but can’t quite get blah blah blah down so he can’t get on the field. Enough. This is football … not ballet. Large individuals looking to hit other large individuals. There’s no damn reason we have draft picks going year after year sitting on their butts. Have Beckum learn 5 freakin plays … then put him in and run one of them. It isn’t that difficult.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Some guys just cannot function and never should have been drafted. But the mentality is to keep trying develop them instead of cutting our losses and seek help elsewhere.

Adrien Robinson is our Tight End of the future … and always will be.

Honestly, if Reese hadn’t made that stupid remark the fact that Robinson looks like a bust at the moment wouldn’t be much of a conversational topic. He was a “project” picked in the fourth round. Fourth round picks are never great bets to make it (the general view among GMs around the league is that it’s usually the first 100 players in the draft who should be expected to help your team and after that it’s a crapshoot). Projects are always risky bets. But when you announce that the kid is “special” by comparing him to someone who at the time looked like a budding superstar, you set yourself up for the ridicule Jerry will deserve if Robinson soon finds himself out of the league.

I wouldn’t give up on this kid yet. Lots can happen over the next month. But he is running out of time to show he can play at this level. For the past few years I’ve been a bit lonely defending Jernigan against the claims he was a useless bust, but that was because I had seen things he did that led me to believe he just needed an opportunity. I’m not about to stand up for Robinson because the kid has done absolutely nothing since being drafted. But let me tell you, we NEED him to at least partially justify Reese’s faith in him, because we really don’t have enough talent at tight end if he isn’t good enough.

In fact, I’ll go further. To have a real chance at a championship this season the Giants probably NEED three things to happen in regard to personnel:

1) Stevie Brown has to be fully healthy and play better than he did in 2012 (not statistically, but in regard to executing his assignments properly);

2) Will Beatty needs to have a comeback season; and

3) One of Robinson or Donnell needs to turn into at least an average NFL tight end in 2014.

People can come up with all kinds of other “requirements” but as I look at this team I’m not very worried about any of the other positions, all of which look to me to have talent and depth (and excluding QB where, obviously, Eli must stay healthy). But while we make fun of Robinson I keep seeing a gaping hole in the Giants’ offense that has to be fixed, and probably can only be accomplished by Robinson and/or Donnell since the other two are journeymen who won’t be real threats out there.

It’s funny that if you read most accounts from OTS and training camp Robinson has done well. It appears he had a bad practice yesterday. His other error was coming in over weight. Look the kid isn’t perfect and maybe he won’t a good player at TE like I think. But y’all are rushing to judgement. Just like with Nassib.

OTAs yes, training camp, no. And OTAs don’t really mean much. I happen to not be giving up on him, but your confidence in him can only be an article of faith at this point. He hasn’t shown enough to justify it in any way at all.

•  Krow says:

Adrien Robinson so fat that when he wore a yellow raincoat people yelled ‘Taxi!’

8.  GIANTT says:

Catching up after a week in the woods with the Boy Scouts . I was up in northern Connecticut and my brain started to freeze up , I was panicking but then I realized that I was getting closer to Jim Stoll country . I wore my Giants T shirts and sweat shirts to taunt the Patriots fans in camp , boy was that fun !
    I am expecting a HEAVY dose of a running attack this week b/c I think the Giants have a potentially very good one and if they can pound it out it will give the passing game time to ease into the offensive scheme of things . I think they keep Hillis and one of the full backs but I really dont know which one . I think they have enough heavy horses to get a solid game going year round . PLus it will take pressure off of a weak tight end group .

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

Adrian Robinson wasn’t even a good TE in college. Stat wise, It’s a shocker he got drafted at all.

10.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Grimble and Halliday join the Hammy club!