2014 New York Giants Training Camp: Day 6 Recap

July 27th, 2014 at 3:30 PM

After a brief day off, the New York Giants returned to the practice field on Sunday and did so in full pads for the first time since training camp officially began earlier this week. Practice was, as expected, a little more aggressive than it had been earlier this week, and that's exactly what the coaches wanted to see with the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game coming up next Sunday.

Unfortunately, not everyone was practicing. In addition to wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., who sat out with a lingering hamstring injury and linebacker Jon Beason (foot), rookie tight end Xavier Grimble (hamstring) also found himself firmly planted on the stationary bike. Meanwhile, Trindon Holliday was also seen with a large wrap (ice?) around his knee.

Practice Notes:

• Right out of the gate, dropsies and fumbles got the Giants again. It began with Trindon Holliday muffing a punt, then a fumble on the exchange between David Wilson and Ryan Nassib and, finally, a dropped screen pass by Michael Cox. Apparently none of them got Tom Coughlin's "don't drop the bleeping ball" memo.
  • Although he was not practicing, Odell Beckham Jr. and fellow wideout, Victor Cruz, had a little competition going on during punt return drills where each tried to make the best one-handed catch. Beckham Jr. won.
  • Despite losing in the aforementioned punt return contest, Cruz had the best catch of the day, laying out for a pass from Eli Manning in 11-on-11's.
  • While running endzone fade routes, Eli Manning hit Jerrel Jernigan for a TD. Hit Victor Cruz on same route on Friday. We've not seen Rueben Randle used in that scenario yet.
  • Ryan Nassib looked much better on Sunday than he has at any point thus far, which included a touchdown pass to Marcus Harrus.
  • The legend of Devon Kennard grew after he laid David Wilson out in the open field, which drew big cheers from the crowd. He later took a snap or two at defensive end.
  • Curtis Painter, for the first time all week, got some first-team reps at quarterback, while Eric Herman took some reps at center.
  • As we alluded to in previous camp recaps, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has an amazing ability to recover (or play coy). When you think he's been beaten, he really hasn't been.
  • Jayron Hosley had a rough practice, including at least two penalties is one-on-one drills.
  • Will Beatty looked strong again, handling anyone who lined up across from him. His continued progress is very encouraging.
  • Tight ends: Kellen Davis and Daniel Fells saw action in goalline set, while Adrien Robinson struggled with where to line up and had a drop.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: David Wilson, Devon Kennard, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Ryan Nassib, Victor Cruz

Short URL:

27 Responses to “2014 New York Giants Training Camp: Day 6 Recap”

1.  Since 1963 says:

It’s early yet, but the tight ends don’t seem to be lighting anyone up.

Keeping them and letting go two fullbacks, whatever the philosophy, goes against an age-old dictum: If you’ve got good players, make use of them unless you’re so stacked at the position that you can’t keep them all. Conner and Hynocerous are good players. I can’t say I know that about Fells, Robinson, Davis & Co.

2.  ERICHONIUS says:

An Eric Herman sighting!

Can we dump all the TEs and keep the FBs ?

•  kujo says:

I’ve been talking about this possibility all weekend. What do any of these yucktards offer us that Hynoski and Conner (and Hillis) don’t?

4.  kujo says:

If only Adrien Robinson could stay healthy, he could bring an added dose of deception to our offense. I mean, how would defenses be able to react to a tight end who is walking around ponderously, unable to remember where he’s supposed to line up?

If we are protecting a lead I don’t see where playing 2 TEs makes us worse off than a TE and FB. I thought the last 3-4 years our offense was much better when we played 3 WRs. An effective running game doesn’t have to be like our 1990 SB. We can spread teams out to run the ball. Look at Denver last year.

Keeping 2 FBs does what good? They don’t help special teams, they can play together. They really don’t have NFL running skills and very limited YAC ability. Keeping 2 FBs makes almost as much sense as keeping 2 kickers.

I want to here more about Moore. What I heard so far is good but I think he’s a vital player. Really JPP and Moore are our only natural pass rushers.

•  kujo says:

IIRC, Hynoski was involved in the fumble recovery in the NFC Championship game in 2011. And you tell Conner not to hit people on specials.

So you rather have Conner or Hynoski on special teams than Someone like Cox, a CB or LB? Conner can hit someone if he can catch them. The issue is lack othe athleticism.

•  rlhjr says:

Kennard has some natural pass rush skills. He need to work on the technique but the basics are there. At least on video that I saw. Thanks Kujo.

I worry that he’s being asked to do so much playing multiple LB positions that he might not be able to contribute much in that aspect. I think his pass rush skills will determine if we can keep just 4 DEs.

I really hope we keep this young kicker. He’s the kicker I have thought we needed for the last 3-4 years. He can be a weapon for us.

I don’t think we should keep holiday. With Demps or Wilson we can be an elite KR team. PR is more in question be we shouldn’t use a roster spot on a PR only, especially one with ball security issues. Plus we need a legit 6th WR. ODB has already had durability issues and Manningham hasn’t looked great so far. It’s plenty of time for both off those situations to correct themselves. But they illustrate the need for quality depth a WR. The nameless WRs have made some noise and one of them can be a quality 6th WR.

•  rlhjr says:

Got a feeling Wilson will not (should not) be exposed to many return opportunities.
      Call me crazy, but he should be for a time be protected from the chance of someone legally or otherwise unloading on him full speed. Especially in the neck/head area.

The fullback issue is simple, just have Reese draft Charles Way….again.
      Seriously, of cast of characters who profess to be New York Giant tight ends only Fells and Davis have proven they can block. And that was in a traditional tight end role.

Things change dramatically when you have to be accountable for the middle and outside pass rushers on passing downs. And things really change when you have to get to a gap/hole after a stutter step in the opposite of where you intend to go.

In other words, the tight ends need to understand the running back position.
      That’s a tall order when you consider that neither of the young tight ends understand THAT position yet. And it’s a different mind and skill set. I admired Pascoe, but he is not the prototypical hybrid tight end you want your youngsters to aspire to.

In the words of Surge from the first Beverly Hills Cop movie; “Don’t be stupid.”
      Keep either Connor or Hynoski. Removing the fullbacks takes down the level of physicality the offense will be able to exert over the course of a game.

I realize these are not the Giants of my zenith as a fan, but I don’t want all their fangs removed. A Giant running game that doesn’t beat up the defense, is not how the Giants do business. Or like I said, go draft Charles Way. Because running McAdoo’s offense just created the need for a player the Giants don’t have on the roster.

In fact it created two new positions, the other guy was drafted by the Lions.

Wilson is a RB who’s going to share carries with 2 other RBs. I think because of Seahorn we worry too much about exposing players on special teams. Wilson is a RB and the extra pounding of special teams shouldn’t be a big deal in my opinion. I feel like with Wilson as just a member of our RB trio he’s not getting enough touches to fully impact the game. If Demps is as good or better then use Demps but I’m not for protecting Wilson.

There’s a difference between a normal FB, the 2 good FBs we have and Charles Way. Way was a dynamic FB and could make plays in all phases of the game. Hynoski or Conner are not close to Way in the skills they bring. I would never say cut a FB like Way, I just don’t think these guys are close to him in overall skill level.

•  kujo says:

I happen to agree 100% with your stance on Wilson as a kick returner, FYI. And you’re right–Giants fans overlearned the Sehorn lesson. TONS of teams let starters return kicks and punt.

7.  kujo says:

GOAT,

To answer your question above, I would GLADLY take either fullbacks over ANY of the TEs (or Cox, for that matter), in this wild zero-sum game we’re playing here. There’s no way that there are even TWO roster-worthy tight ends on this team, let alone 3! Meanwhile, we have 2 excellent fullbacks–one of whom played at a near Pro Bowl level last year, while the other was viewed as a guy on the cusp of that level prior to his injury– and a hybrid RB/FB in Hillis who looks tailor-made to fill the role that John Kuhn plays in Green Bay.

Come on, dude. Give it up.

So you’re just living in a vacuum and discounting the offense we are using? Who cares if both are excellent players if there’s barely time for one to get on the field. That’s a foolish emotional decision. 1 FB is debatable but keeping 2 is just silliness. You’re not making any sense. I guess we should keep both kickers too because both guys appear to be excellent kickers.

•  skinnydoogan says:

and I guess using Jason Sehorn to prove out why we don’t use our 1st round running back to return kicks is not silly and emotional? Come on man.

•  skinnydoogan says:

and it does make sense to keep 2 PROVEN players in place of 5 tomato cans.

•  kujo says:

In defense of GOAT’s position on Wilson, #22 was well on his way towards being an ELITE kickoff returner. Given his size, speed and style of play, he will very likely NEVER be more than a dynamite supplementary running back on the offense. But those same attributes could be used as a KOR and put points on the board, either directly with him taking it to the house, or indirectly through improved field position.

It’s not as crazy as it sounds. As a matter of fact, I fully expect to see Wilson back there returning kicks alongside Jernigan, given the projected depth chart at RB and WR. It’s about resource allocation, and special teams is WORTH the investment.

•  kujo says:

Dude, you’re the one suggesting we go without FB’s entirely, in favor of keeping an extra one of these dingleberry tight ends. I happen to think we’ll do the normal thing–keep 1 FB (plus Hillis) and 2 TEs.

What I’ve been saying is that the FB position is stronger, as a whole, than the TEs. Thus, if we were forced to choose between keeping an extra TE (leaving us with 0 fullbacks) or keeping an extra FB (leaving us with 2 FBs and 1 TE), I’m choosing the latter.

But again, that is NOT my prediction. Emotional or not, you’re the one out on the branch.

I think Robinson can be our secret weapon. Can you imagine the pressure he’s going to put on opposing DBs? I mean after over 2 years in the NFL would you like to be the guy that gives up his first completion? What a locker room joke you’d be … “Ha, two years and nuttin’ … but old Josh here gets beat by the guy”. **hysterical laughter ensues**

9.  Dirt says:

For what it’s worth, from one of the top 50 most powerful men in sports:

@giantspathanlon: “@RVacchianoNYDN: Coughlin’s frustration bubbling over Beckham’s hamstring … http://t.co/WlCKYudQh2” Right. The injury. Not the kid.

10.  kujo says:

Re: Kennard

I think we all need to keep our expectations low about this kid. Remember that he was drafted by a scouting department that hasn’t exactly let up the scoreboard with this developing this position through the draft. That has nothing to do with him as a player specifically, but it’s important to keep in mind when you hear former boosters (and employers) of Clint Sintim, Phillip Dillard, Bryan Kehl and Greg Jones.

That being said, in reference to GOAT’s worry about asking Kennard to do too much, Kennard has experience playing multiple positions in multiple schemes. In fact, it’s probably part of the reason he was so devalued in the draft. So, while consistency is always preferable, the versatility this kid seems to possess gives you options that you can’t afford to discount out of fear. You give players all they can handle, and a spoonful more to see if they can take it. I’ll guess they bring this kid along slowly, based on the sudden wealth we have at this position. But I wouldn’t be too worried about overwhelming him. If he can rush the passer, they’ll put him out there.