When the New York Giants took the field for their third practice of training camp on Thursday, rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was not among them. Rather, with shells on and helmet in hand, Beckham Jr. stood on the sideline and soaked in practice as a spectator. Again.
For the second time since the start of Organized Team Activities (OTAs), the wideout who had never missed time in High School or College due to injury finds himself sidelined with a hamstring issue. And to say that's grinding on Tom Coughlin's last nerve would be a bit of understatement.
"You know as well as I do. Let’s face it, I don’t want it to be like it was in the Spring," Coughlin said. "We need to get the guy back out here and get him on the field."
Beckham Jr. originally "tweaked" his hamstring back in early June during the team's fifth Organized Team Activity (OTA) practice and subsequently missed all remaining OTA practice. He did eventually return for mandatory mini-camp, although he was unable to participate in full.
"You’ve got to find a better word. ‘Comfortable’ is not a good word. I’d like to have him practicing. That’s how you learn – you practice. He’s done all of the studying, he’s good in the classroom, but he’s got to get out here," Coughlin said at the time.
Little has changed since then, unfortunately. Beckham Jr. once again "tweaked" his hamstring this past Tuesday (practice No. 1 of training camp) and has been on the sidelines ever since.
It's obviously not the idea scenario for the Giants, especially when you consider that Tom Coughlin has reluctantly accepted new technology and new stretching exercises to prevent exactly the kind of issue Beckham Jr. currently find himself dealing with.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. Tweaks Hamstring; May Miss Some Time
- Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Suffered “Tweaked” Hamstring; Team Unsure When He Can Return
- New York Giants not Rushing Odell Beckham Jr. Back Following Hamstring Issue
- New York Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. on 2014 Goals: We’re Looking to Make a Run at the Championship
- Odell Beckham Jr. May Return Kicks, Punts for New York Giants in 2014