July 24th, 2014 at 2:00 PM

As recently as mid-June, New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul said he was not yet 100% and still had minor, but lingering, back issues. Fast forward a little more than a month and not only has JPP declared himself clear of all lingering injuries, but the now-275 lbs. defensive end says he's 110%.

"I'm feeling great. I feel like my normal self," Pierre-Paul said. "I'm awesome. I'm at 110%. I'm not really worried about my back or shoulder. All of that is good."

Looking back on 2013, JPP admitted that he had come back too early and wasn't ready to return to the field, which led to additional injuries, re-injuries and other lingering problems.

"I wasn't ready. But I felt like I needed to be out there because I was one of those guys who was a factor for the team. And with me being gone, it's a big difference. And it was," JPP said, adding that he informed Jon Beason not to return until he is 100%. "When you're injured you're [likely] to injury something else. Which I did."

JPP went on to add that he feels like he's been out for a year and he's just excited to start the season healthy and "play some football." However, that doesn't mean everything is A-OK in the land of the lion — an animal JPP also compared himself to on Thursday — as he admitted that his lack of a long-term contract has begin to weigh on him since the departure of Justin Tuck to the Oakland Raiders.

"I'm not going to lie… Seeing Tuck gone, it's on my mind a little bit," JPP said. "But, at the end of the day, when I'm on the field it's all about my brothers and what I do best. But when you go home, that's when you think about it.

"I still believe I'll be here next year, honestly."

Pierre-Paul is just one of a handful of Giants who former sports agent Joel Corry recently listed as being at a "contract crossroads," but the former Pro Bowler believes in his heart and mind that he'll play well enough in 2014 that General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. don't even think twice about bringing him back.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jon Beason, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Oakland, Oakland Raiders

Short URL:

8 Responses to “Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul Says He’s Now 110%, but Admits Contract Status is Weighing on Him”

1.  skinnydoogan says:

uhm what? Didn’t I read that he got manhandled by Beatty in one of the practices? So if I heard right, that either means that Beatty turned into the incredible hulk in the off season or JPP 100% is not all that good.

2.  Kettles78 says:

JPP needs to get that contract out of his head unless its only in there for more motivation to perform better. Otherwise I am sure the Giants would pay him based off of his last 2 years of “production”

If he performs the way he should be able to money will not be a problem

Oh please. Just shut up and play. Your play will dictate where you are and what you’re paid. Learn from the mistakes of Hakeem Nicks.

I posted my feelings about Williams and the running game on the previous thread. Kid will be a stud, he was an insane steal, and our running game is going to be awesome.

Can’t wait to hear what the folks who were telling me how nuts I was when I said all of that months ago are going to have to say when we take the league by storm with our three-headed monster in September.

Give him a big contract … that worked out for Will Beatty.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Our contacts have to be more incentive based -with assistance making $$$ outside FB – taking advantage of being in metro NY,

JPP answered the question honestly. To think that any of these players in their free agent year aren’t think about it is foolish. Now he does have to perform. And please don’t let this turn into a Nicks situation.

I really like our RBs. I really like the Jennings signing but I think I’m even more excited about Wilson and Williams. Plus I think Cox will show improvement as well.

Yeah the depth chart looks like you would expect except for TE. Donnell is 1st team while Robinson is listed as 4th or 5th team. That doesn’t seem to fit with the playing time reports or how Robinson has played. It could be motivation, who knows.

Also it’s interesting Demps is the first team KR ahead of Holiday. Holiday isn’t listed in the first 3 teams at WR. Jernigan is listed as 3rd team PR behind Holiday and Randle. Holiday’s roster spot is very shaky IMO.

7.  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

OL Still scares the hell out of me. If they do not jell ………..