The New York Giants received a bit of a scare on Tuesday as multiple players had to be carted off the field during the very first practice of training camp. And while most were heat-related issues, the situation surrounding linebacker Jameel McClain appeared much more serious.
During McClain's ride back to the building, it was clear he and the trainers were favoring his left foot, having removed his shoe and elevated his leg. After practice, head coach Tom Coughlin confirmed that it was, in fact, a foot injury of an unknown severity.
"He did have some tenderness in the foot area. He kind of tried to blame it on the shoe at first. They are going to run every test known to man to find out if there's anything in the metatarsal area that's going to be a problem," Coughlin said after practice. "And I hope not because Jon Beason had the same issue."
Luckily for the Giants, X-Rays of McClain's left foot came back negative, showing no breaks or hairline fractures. However, being cautiously optimistic as they usually are, the Giants are prepared to sent their new linebacker for an MRI on Wednesday should he experience any soreness or swelling.
Source: X-rays on Giants LB Jameel McClain's foot were negative. If McClain experience soreness on Wednesday t/ team may follow up w/ an MRI— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) July 22, 2014
As far as the other players who were carted off or had to leave the field — Brandon Mosley, Charles Brown, Spencer Adkins and Xavier Grimble — Coughlin said all were heat/dehydration issues with the exception of Mosley, who left practice with an upset stomach.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.Brandon Mosley, Charles Brown, Football, Jameel McClain, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Spencer Adkins, Tom Coughlin, Xavier Grimble
- Giants’ Jameel McClain, Brandon Mosley & Xavier Grimble Carted Off During First Camp Practice
- Jameel McClain, Jon Beason Could Change New York Giants’ Fortunes at Linebacker
- John Harbaugh on Giants LB Jameel McClain: They Got a Smart, Physical Player; Serve as Mentor