July 23rd, 2014 at 8:00 AM

The New York Giants received a bit of a scare on Tuesday as multiple players had to be carted off the field during the very first practice of training camp. And while most were heat-related issues, the situation surrounding linebacker Jameel McClain appeared much more serious.

During McClain's ride back to the building, it was clear he and the trainers were favoring his left foot, having removed his shoe and elevated his leg. After practice, head coach Tom Coughlin confirmed that it was, in fact, a foot injury of an unknown severity.

"He did have some tenderness in the foot area. He kind of tried to blame it on the shoe at first. They are going to run every test known to man to find out if there's anything in the metatarsal area that's going to be a problem," Coughlin said after practice. "And I hope not because Jon Beason had the same issue."

Luckily for the Giants, X-Rays of McClain's left foot came back negative, showing no breaks or hairline fractures. However, being cautiously optimistic as they usually are, the Giants are prepared to sent their new linebacker for an MRI on Wednesday should he experience any soreness or swelling.

As far as the other players who were carted off or had to leave the field — Brandon Mosley, Charles Brown, Spencer Adkins and Xavier Grimble — Coughlin said all were heat/dehydration issues with the exception of Mosley, who left practice with an upset stomach.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.

Tags: Brandon Mosley, Charles Brown, Football, Jameel McClain, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Spencer Adkins, Tom Coughlin, Xavier Grimble

Short URL:

11 Responses to “X-Rays on New York Giants LB Jameel McClain Come Back Negative; Foot Will Be Monitored”

Rex “monitors” every foot on the Jets. And if he keeps it up he’s going to go blind.

Ha!!

By the way, are you seriously taking the position that Eli is about done? You didn’t say exactly that but you imply there’s a good chance that’s the case. If so, I beg to differ. I think nothing about Eli can be learned from last season and the latter part of the 2012 season because in both cases he had nearly zero support and, as I have said SO many times, quarterbacks, no matter how good, are absolutely dependent upon that support.

There is not a quarterback in the history of the NFL who played consistently well without a running game and a good offensive line. Probably the closest was Fran Tarkenton.

And there is no evidence that a quarterback who does not depend upon mobility is even close to finished at Eli’s age and physical condition.

I think you’re way off on this. I guess we’ll see pretty soon.

•  Alex Ciordia says:

Although I realize that hes more mobile, for the sake of playing devils advocate, what about rogers? Hes had a fairly weak line, no running game until last year, and still doesnt have a “dominant reciever”.

If Eli is our oldest player or the top 2-3 it shows just how young the team is this year. Eli because he’s a pocket passer is still in the middle of his prime IMO. In fact the only player clearly past his prime on the team is Jenkins and he’s still a good player.

Well, McClain, Kiwi, Patterson, and Hillis are probably also past their “prime”, but I agree with your point: this is a pretty young team with a lot of players who should be ascending toward their prime.

So, I’m curious. Leaving aside offensive left tackle and assuming that McClain is not seriously hurt, where are the real holes that the biggest skeptics around here see? Don’t talk to me about “question marks” like the pundits on the national scene do. We’re closer to the team than they so we see that a lot of those question marks are not as big as they perceive.

I will concede that the tight end situation is fraught with risk that no one steps up, though I think that at least one of them will because once McAdoo was hired he probably participated in the signings made during the off-season after having carefully assessed what they already had, simply because tight ends play a particular role in the Green Bay system (not as critical as some suggest, but the movement of them is important in creating holes in the defense).

I see no holes on defense as long as Ayers plays as he did last year and Moore stays healthy (and Beason returns).

Since I like both Manningham and Jernigan I am much less concerned about whether ODB is “NFL-ready” than many others seem to be, and I’m confident he will be fine by the second half of the season anyway. I had been concerned about Randle until hearing the coaches praise him in OTAs. Not very worried any longer.

And I’m not going to worry about the rest of the O-line (except LT) because there’s enough talent that they should field a pretty decent group by the time September comes around.

Special teams will be much better because the talent pool is much deeper, and there are some real returners available when there haven’t been for years and guys like Bowman who are practically specialists in coverage.

So where are the big holes that people see? I see one at Will Beatty’s position, and I have some concern about the tight ends. Otherwise I like what I see. And the news about both of the holes I fear may turn out better than I hope. I’m seeing plenty of cause for optimism. What am I missing?

•  Dublius says:

I feel the Giants did a great job filling all the big holes (except for maybe TE) this offseason. However there are a ton of unknowns. Which DRC are we going to get? Are injuries going to continue to plague the OL? How quickly can we learn the new offense? With a lot of new players and a new offensive system it’s impossible to know how it’s going to work out. I’m really excited about this season but I’m just trying to temper my optimism so that I’m not too disappointed if things go wrong (see last season).

Ah, always a great way of protecting against disappointment. But see, I’m a wise old optimist who knows that willingness to be disappointed if you have assessed a situation and concluded it’s likely to be good is just part of life. That makes me vulnerable, but it also allows me to look clearly at things and not hedge my bets too often (sometimes that makes sense but frequently it does not).

Anyway, when I look carefully at the Giants I am unable to see why they shouldn’t win the NFC East (I simply think they’re going to be a better team than the Eagles) and get into the playoffs. I even think they have the potential to go far in those playoffs, but I have to see more before I’d say that with any conviction.

Not saying you’re wrong. Just willing to go further out on a limb based upon what I think is a VERY talented roster.

Eli … I’m not saying he’s done … not at all. But by the end of this NFL season he will be 34. He’s also coming off 2 pretty sad years. Now sure, it’s not like all of it is on him. The team floundered in several key areas. None of it related to Manning the Younger.

However … 34 is 34. We need to start thinking about what we’re going to do when the Manning Era ends. And it could end suddenly for a number of reasons.

Like all fans I want him to play like he did in 2011 when he was mentioned in the same breath as the top handful of QBs in the league. And I hope he stays for the next 5 years at that level … which is actually possible.

What worries me is that none of the first tier QBs have had a year like he just had … much less 2 of them. If he has another then we’re in a much deeper hole than we thought.

All true, but you can’t assume that will be the case. At some point you have to stake your future on some core beliefs and I, like the Giants, believe that Eli Manning has another 5-6 years of excellent play ahead of him. If that’s wrong then it won’t matter what else they do. They won’t win championships.

My assumption is that they should be looking to draft Eli’s successor in about four or five years. That should give him two years to apprentice but still leave us with three years left on his contract.

If I’m wrong we’re looking at at least five years ahead of us without really being in the running for a ring. Not a disaster, but certainly not something to be welcomed. I’m not sure how many “builds to a championship” I have left, so I’m an impatient guy. I want at least one more before Eli retires and I think we should get it. I also think he will be a critical part of that process and continue to be one of the elite quarterbacks in the league and will wind up in Canton with his three rings.

5.  jb322 says:

I actually think we are very close to another run and I wouldn’t be surprised if we won another couple of super bowls. I think the offense we ran under gilbride was a high risk/high reward kind of offense. So I think in that situation a quarterback can look very bad at times and brilliant at others. I expect Manning to look much better in this type of offense and bounce back from a subpar year in which his receivers, running backs and offensive line all failed him. Last years offense was one of the worst I have ever seen. So I felt bad for Eli last year. As for his age, just look at what his brother is doing at an older age and I think you see it shouldn’t be an issue.

The one hole I see on this team are the lines. At this point I see no bonafide pass rusher and I think the offensive line we need time to figure things out before we see a consistent ability to protect the quarterback