July 23rd, 2014 at 9:00 AM

On Tuesday, the New York Giants announced that they had hired David Tyree as their new Director of Player Development, replacing Charles Way, who was named the NFL's Head of Player Engagement. It was a decision everyone knew was going to have consequences from the LGBT community, and mere hours after the hire was publicly announced, the Human Rights Campaign release a scathing statement speaking out against Tyree, the Giants and their decision to hire a pro-traditional marriage advocate.

The HRC specifically targeted the Giants and Tyree over comments he had made in 2011 — after having left the Giants and retiring from the NFL — in which he stated he'd trade winning Super Bowl XLII for the elimination of gay marriage. He also went on to state that he believes there is no scientific evidence that supports homosexuality as anything other than being a choice and that he, in fact, knows many "former homosexuals."

Despite all of those comments — some of which seem admittedly over-the-top — Tyree has long insisted he has no personal issue with homosexuals, is not a bigot and would not be opposed to playing on the same team with one.

"I don't agree with [gay marriage] because God doesn't agree with it. As a Christian, I don't agree. Society may be changing but God is not," Tyree said in 2013. "This is not personal. I could still be in a locker room with a gay man and still love him as a teammate. I can be tolerant, but the problem is people aren't tolerant of the views people like me have. If you don't agree with that lifestyle, you're a bigot. I'm not a bigot. I have different viewpoints."

Still, that was and is not enough for the HRC or their president, Chad Griffin. They continue to feel that Tyree and his beliefs should not be rewarded with a new job and that is also tarnishes the reputation of the New York Giants.

"When did Tyree decide to be straight?" Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin asked in the statement. "The idea that someone can change their sexual orientation or gender identity is ludicrous, and the New York Giants are risking their credibility by hiring someone who publicly advocates this junk science. His opposition to basic legal equality aside, David Tyree's proselytizing of such dangerous practices goes against the positive work the Giants organization has done in recent years."

Even before the HRC was able to release their statement, the Giants preemptively released a statement of their own:

"[David Tyree] was expressing his personal view, and that is not the view of the Giants organization," the Giants said in a short statement.

Asked about the HRC statement on Tuesday, Tyree refused to comment.

"I don't have any comment about it. I'm just excited to be with the Giants," Tyree told ESPN.

What the HRC failed to recognize was the Giants' pro-gay stance, led by co-owner Steve Tisch, who often speaks out in support of the LGBT community. It also failed to recognize a study stating that the Giants would be the "most receptive" NFL franchise to welcoming a homosexual player. Rather, they chose to focus on one man and one set of comments and label and entire organization as a result.

What say you, Giants fans? Should Tyree be fired and/or punished for his personal and religious beliefs?

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Charles Way, David Tyree, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Tisch

Short URL:

47 Responses to “Human Rights Campaign Objects to Giants’ Hire of Pro-Traditional Marriage Advocate, David Tyree”

I knew about all this … and I think he’s wrong. But he has a right to his opinion … and his opinion shouldn’t rule him out of a job any more than it should someone with the opposite opinion.

I’m always amazed to see groups who were the victims of discrimination advocating the very thing that made their lives miserable.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000……

This infuriates me. I think he’s wrong too, but since when does an opinion disqualify anyone for a job as long as he doesn’t allow that opinion to rule his/her behavior at that job?

The Human Rights campaign should rename itself the No Rights to Your Opinion Campaign. Disgusting.

That pic of him looks kinda geh now that I think of it. Leather jacket … neatly trimmed hair. If someone could just Photoshop out the football and replace it with a quiche then we have the makings of quite a dating site profile *wink wink*.

fanfor55years says:
    July 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    So, I’m curious. Leaving aside offensive left tackle and assuming that McClain is not seriously hurt, where are the real holes that the biggest skeptics around here see? Don’t talk to me about “question marks” like the pundits on the national scene do. We’re closer to the team than they so we see that a lot of those question marks are not as big as they perceive.

I will concede that the tight end situation is fraught with risk that no one steps up, though I think that at least one of them will because once McAdoo was hired he probably participated in the signings made during the off-season after having carefully assessed what they already had, simply because tight ends play a particular role in the Green Bay system (not as critical as some suggest, but the movement of them is important in creating holes in the defense).

I see no holes on defense as long as Ayers plays as he did last year and Moore stays healthy (and Beason returns).

Since I like both Manningham and Jernigan I am much less concerned about whether ODB is “NFL-ready” than many others seem to be, and I’m confident he will be fine by the second half of the season anyway. I had been concerned about Randle until hearing the coaches praise him in OTAs. Not very worried any longer.

And I’m not going to worry about the rest of the O-line (except LT) because there’s enough talent that they should field a pretty decent group by the time September comes around.

Special teams will be much better because the talent pool is much deeper, and there are some real returners available when there haven’t been for years and guys like Bowman who are practically specialists in coverage.

So where are the big holes that people see? I see one at Will Beatty’s position, and I have some concern about the tight ends. Otherwise I like what I see. And the news about both of the holes I fear may turn out better than I hope. I’m seeing plenty of cause for optimism. What am I missing?

Dublius says:
    July 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    I feel the Giants did a great job filling all the big holes (except for maybe TE) this offseason. However there are a ton of unknowns. Which DRC are we going to get? Are injuries going to continue to plague the OL? How quickly can we learn the new offense? With a lot of new players and a new offensive system it’s impossible to know how it’s going to work out. I’m really excited about this season but I’m just trying to temper my optimism so that I’m not too disappointed if things go wrong (see last season).

fanfor55years says:
    July 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    Ah, always a great way of protecting against disappointment. But see, I’m a wise old optimist who knows that willingness to be disappointed if you have assessed a situation and concluded it’s likely to be good is just part of life. That makes me vulnerable, but it also allows me to look clearly at things and not hedge my bets too often (sometimes that makes sense but frequently it does not).

Anyway, when I look carefully at the Giants I am unable to see why they shouldn’t win the NFC East (I simply think they’re going to be a better team than the Eagles) and get into the playoffs. I even think they have the potential to go far in those playoffs, but I have to see more before I’d say that with any conviction.

Not saying you’re wrong. Just willing to go further out on a limb based upon what I think is a VERY talented roster.

Krow says:
    July 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    Eli … I’m not saying he’s done … not at all. But by the end of this NFL season he will be 34. He’s also coming off 2 pretty sad years. Now sure, it’s not like all of it is on him. The team floundered in several key areas. None of it related to Manning the Younger.

However … 34 is 34. We need to start thinking about what we’re going to do when the Manning Era ends. And it could end suddenly for a number of reasons.

Like all fans I want him to play like he did in 2011 when he was mentioned in the same breath as the top handful of QBs in the league. And I hope he stays for the next 5 years at that level … which is actually possible.

What worries me is that none of the first tier QBs have had a year like he just had … much less 2 of them. If he has another then we’re in a much deeper hole than we thought.

fanfor55years says:
    July 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    All true, but you can’t assume that will be the case. At some point you have to stake your future on some core beliefs and I, like the Giants, believe that Eli Manning has another 5-6 years of excellent play ahead of him. If that’s wrong then it won’t matter what else they do. They won’t win championships.

My assumption is that they should be looking to draft Eli’s successor in about four or five years. That should give him two years to apprentice but still leave us with three years left on his contract.

If I’m wrong we’re looking at at least five years ahead of us without really being in the running for a ring. Not a disaster, but certainly not something to be welcomed. I’m not sure how many “builds to a championship” I have left, so I’m an impatient guy. I want at least one more before Eli retires and I think we should get it. I also think he will be a critical part of that process and continue to be one of the elite quarterbacks in the league and will wind up in Canton with his three rings.

I don’t think this team has any major holes. LT I think will be fine. Beatty practicing without too many limitations yesterday was huge. It shows health won’t be an issue. At TE I’m very excited about Robinson and Donnell, I expect to have very good production at TE. I know they are both unproven but we usually don’t all of a sudden count on an unproven when we have other options if those players aren’t ready.

Actually my more measure concerns are at DT where we have two players past their primes and two players not in their primes and maybe Kuhn. I just hope both sets hold up and we aren’t asking too much from them at this stage of their respective careers.

I also have concerns about Brown at safety. I was never sold he was anywhere close to as good as the 8 interceptions 2 years ago and now he’s coming off of injury. I will be following Demps and Cooper closely because they could be needed to start this year.

Lastly I worry about the depth of our WRs. We only have 5 legit NFL WRs on the roster and that includes manningham who’s an injury question. Running so many 3 WR sets and probably much more 4-5 WR sets than the past I’m concerned we don’t have enough quality depth. I don’t like Holiday as our 6th WR because I don’t think he’s a legit WR. WR is one position that we could use a cut player to increase the quality of our 6th WR.

I think you are way over-concerned about DT. We have very good players there and good linebackers behind them. They should be able to stack up the running game.

Safety? I’m not sold on Brown yet either, but he’s at least adequate and I’m happy that we have Cooper, Demps and Behre available because I think at least one of them, probably two, perhaps all three, will be good. There’s even Bennett, who may very well be a possibility at safety. There’s enough talent that I think worrying about that spot is unnecessary.

Depth at WR could become an issue if anyone gets hurt, but I think the clearance of Wilson just made that a lower priority since I assume that McAdoo’s offense will make much more use of him than did Gilbride’s. We now have at least two running backs, including out putative #1 back, who can do damage out of the backfield in passing situations (and I believe the same will prove true for Williams in time).

I hope you’re right about left tackle but I don’t see why you’re confident about Beatty. As for the tight ends, they ARE a question mark, but like you, I expect good things from them. I think this will be the season that Robinson justifies Reese’s confidence in him.

4.  kujo says:

I find Tyree’s comments and views to be the highest form of ignorance, but its his right to be every bit as bigoted as he wants to be, provided he doesn’t infringe on anyone else’s constitutional rights. And seeing as how that “Thou Shalt Not Offend Anyone” 28th Amendment has yet to pass, the HRC can go ahead and suck it. ast time I checked, this is still America, and there’s no political/moral/social litmus tests for employment in this country.

My only comment. I don’t think Tyree’s views make him a bigot they just make him ignorant.

•  kujo says:

Believing that being g@y is wrong= ignorant

Believing that your opinion of g@y people should be used as the justification to deny them the ability to get married= bigotry

That’s my opinion, anyway.

5.  kujo says:

Interesting thoughts from Pugh:

Q: Is it a different feeling with three-fifths of the starting line turning over?
    A: There’s a lot of new faces in that o-line. I was talking to some of the older guys yesterday, and I said “hey, it’s a little bit of a different feeling in that room.” There’s no real veteran presence. I mean Will Beatty is a six-year guy but you know, there’s no two-time winners anymore with Snee, Diehl and Boothe all gone. But someone has to step up, we have to play well. The team can’t stop when guys leave so it’s the ‘next guy up’ mentality, I think that’s how the Giants have always been and will continue to be that way.

*************

He says there’s “no real veteran presence,” and then goes on to realize that Will Beatty is a “6 year guy.”

By implication, he means “veteran” as someone who is good enough to be counted upon for advice and who has proved himself a winner. He played one year, 2013, with Will Beatty and the only thing he knows about him, based upon that year, is that anyone taking his advice or counting upon him in a pinch is out of his mind.

I don’t want to obsess about this topic, but I wonder if the morons at the HRC even understand that their attempt to suppress David Tyree’s right to make a living (and his opinions) is no different from what they fear: an unwillingness of others to allow an individual to express his or her identity and authenticity and fundamental rights.

Do they recognize that they share plenty of characteristics with Putin, the butchers in Beijing, the animals forcing the Christian migration in Syria and Iraq, the Inquisition that would have slaughtered them, Robespierre, and the other monsters of totalitarianism throughout history? Of course not, because they’re a bunch of ignoramuses with “a cause”. That this nation now not only tolerates this intolerance, but encourages it, shows how much confidence we have lost in the American Ideal. That makes me very sad.

•  kujo says:

Excellent post. As much as I sympathize with “the cause,” I’ve begun to see an awful lot of what would normally be considering “bullying” in the g@y community. This stuff with Tyree is textbook bullying, where they use their position to cajole and coerce the behavior (and thoughts) of others. It’s sickening.

7.  kujo says:

As to where the “holes” on this team could be:

1) TE- I have zero confidence in the trio of Robinson, Donnell and Davis. I similarly feel nothing in the way of joy at the thought of Grimble making real contributions as an undrafted rookie. Of course it’s possible that one of these guys will turn a corner, but not considering this position a gigantic hole is absurdly pollyanna.

2) DE- Now wait wait wait. Before you bust out the pitchforks, let’s remember that our generational pass rusher has been a no-show for over a season. He’s also coming off back surgery, something that isn’t particularly heartwarming considering he’s supposed to be a big bad pass-rusher who makes his living with his hands in the dirt. Let’s also remain cognizant of the fabled “sophomore slump” that seemingly always strikes our guys who have big rookie campaigns (e.g. Randle, Wilson, Jaiquan, Hosley, etc.). That being said, assuming that Damontre is going to adequately replace Tuck is ridiculous. Combine that with that annual “Kiwi is finally going to be able to focus on being a DE” sanguinism, and I think it’s safe to say that this defensive end depth chart could easily be the weakest it’s been in the last decade.

Fells has done an adequate if not particularly fabulous job in the past. He’s my “insurance policy” at tight end. But I don’t think we’ll have to collect on it. Robinson looks huge, and early reviews are that he finally has stepped up. We know he can block, so the fact that he did very well in OTAs IS meaningful even though they weren’t wearing pads.

For every sophomore slump you can cite there are many more players who were much better their second year than their rookie season. So why assume Moore (who gained 15 pounds of muscle and timed faster than when he arrived last season) won’t be much better? I assume he will. And a combination of he and Ayers really SHOULD replace Tuck’s production, which as far as sacks was not much if you exclude the Skins. That doesn’t even assume Kiwi plays well (he might). And JPP? At the very least he will be much better than last season when he was useless thanks to his health.

•  kujo says:

I totally forgot Fells, which speaks to how utterly forgettable each and every player on the TE depth chart is at this point in time. Yeah, he looks huge, but I’ll believe any Robinson-related hype when it’s correlated with actual onfield production.

With the DEs, again, I think there’s a lot of assuming going on. Why is it safe to assume ANYTHING with JPP? Why are we assuming that Ayers–who had a career high 5.5 sacks last season– is going to replace Tuck? Why are we assuming that Moore is going to take that next step, when he barely saw the field last year? The law of averages dictates that some of these assumptions will turn out well. But if you think about it, there’s AT LEAST as much chance that this group goes bunk, especially if we don’t get some good production out of the various new guys at DT.

8.  turkish says:

Not a fan of Tyree…at all. Anyone who is that dedicated of a “crusader” for their religion is dangerous. I DO NOT believe he is the right human for this job as he does not believe all humans should have equal rights. It’s a poor choice because this guy has an agenda to “spread the word” about his cult.

Now, if he is able to mentor young guys without bringing his cult beliefs into the picture, that’s fine, but I highly doubt that a guy this dedicated to the “cause” will be able to do that.

“It’s about what’s right. How can marriage be marriage for thousands of years and now all of the sudden because of an influential minority has a push, an agenda to push and totally reshape something that was not founded in our country, not founded by man, and its something that is holy and sacred and there is nothing more honorable worth fighting for especially if you care about our future generations”

Any human being that FIGHTS against equality should not earn a pay check mentoring youth.

•  kujo says:

See, when I read stuff like this, I have to ask–why? Why does having a less-than-favorable opinion on an issue disqualify someone from making a living? Tyree’s position on the Giants is probably going to be helping to coordinate promotional appearances for players and making sure they stay out of trouble. In the same way that his personal points of view didn’t impact his production on the field when he was a player, I don’t see what role they’ll play in his new day-to-day.

•  turkish says:

True, if he is able to leave the “cult” BS at home, I have no problem with the hire. The question is, can he?

Also, if the GIANTS knew one of their best players was gay, do you think they make the Tyree hire?

It’s a conflict of interest in my opinion.

•  kujo says:

I don’t see a conflict of interest. I mean, his job will very likely have NOTHING to do with his religious beliefs, which, statistically speaking, are probably shared in various degrees by a majority of players in that locker room.

•  Krow says:

I think we all agree that if Tyree starts pushing his beliefs … or acting upon them in his official team capacity … then he needs to get the boot. I’m OK with people believing in invisible friends and 6′ rabbits only they can see. I don’t care. They can worship Thor. Or a sacred tree. Whatever. But if they don’t want to draft the next LT because he doesn’t believe in elves then I want that person fired.

You’re entitled to your opinion, with which I wholly disagree but would not try to suppress.

I think the HRC is FAR more dangerous than is David Tyree. And if you think he will “impose” his views on any of these players (who are adults, not “youths” in any case) you’re outta your mind. One word of that getting back to Steve Tisch would get him fired in an instant, and he knows that very well. He has also said that he has no problem personally with gays. Further, while I cannot agree with the teachings of the church, I also cannot tell a devout Christian that he has no right to believe that what he believes is the word of God takes precedence over earthly opinions and interest group politicking.

9.  turkish says:

How about a gay player that has decided to keep his life private, do you think that player will be comfortable around Tyree?

Like kujo I worry that the pash rush … or lack thereof … could undermine the defense. No secondary can hold up if there’s no pressure. And while we have the potential to excel in that area we also have the potential to be terrible.

Even though I’ll be accused of heresy … the most important player on the team … one Eli Manning … is coming off two lackluster campaigns. We desperately need the old Eli back … or you can file the next few seasons under mediocrity.

And to paraphrase Cato the Elder, “Tight end delenda est”.

•  kujo says:

That being said, our secondary could be scary good, and if we can get an even DECENT pass rush, we should be okay. Anymore than that, and we could be looking at a top 5 defense.