Stop us if you've heard this before: New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has tweaked his hamstring and the team is unsure just how long he'll be out.
You'd think we're simply repeating an early June headline, but that is not at all the case. General Manager Jerry Reese revealed on Wednesday that the rookie first-round pick had, in fact, "tweaked" his hamstring just prior to pulling up lame on a deep route during Tuesday's practice. It was a moment that drew both the ire or quarterback Eli Manning on the field and head coach Tom Coughlin off of it.
"He missed part of spring ball with a hamstring and he tweaked it yesterday. Obviously there is a concern," Reese said. "But you see that in some young players sometimes. They're a little bit nervous, a little bit anxious and that happens to them."
Unfortunately for the Giants, it wasn't a simple rookie miscommunication as many speculated initially, but rather the apparent re-aggravation of a hamstring injury that has lingered dating back to Organized Team Activities (OTAs). It was an issue that caused him to miss all remaining OTA practices and a good portion majority if mini-camp.
Prior to returning to the field earlier this week, Beckham Jr. was asked about his hamstring, saying if it wasn't 100% healed it was certainly close to it. But following this latest "tweak," the Giants may opt to err on the side of caution and shut him down for a little while.
"Now, who knows how long," Coughlin said. "Those hamstrings, don't ask me. I have no idea. … He missed today. He said it's sore. That is about all you can ask."
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. Tweaks Hamstring; May Miss Some Time
- New York Giants not Rushing Odell Beckham Jr. Back Following Hamstring Issue
- Odell Beckham Jr. May Return Kicks, Punts for New York Giants in 2014
- National Football Post Lists New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. as Rookie “Ready to Bust Loose”
- Eli Manning “Excited” to Work with Odell Beckham; Expects Rookie to Have “Some Big Games”