July 23rd, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Stop us if you've heard this before: New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has tweaked his hamstring and the team is unsure just how long he'll be out.

You'd think we're simply repeating an early June headline, but that is not at all the case. General Manager Jerry Reese revealed on Wednesday that the rookie first-round pick had, in fact, "tweaked" his hamstring just prior to pulling up lame on a deep route during Tuesday's practice. It was a moment that drew both the ire or quarterback Eli Manning on the field and head coach Tom Coughlin off of it.

"He missed part of spring ball with a hamstring and he tweaked it yesterday. Obviously there is a concern," Reese said. "But you see that in some young players sometimes. They're a little bit nervous, a little bit anxious and that happens to them."

Unfortunately for the Giants, it wasn't a simple rookie miscommunication as many speculated initially, but rather the apparent re-aggravation of a hamstring injury that has lingered dating back to Organized Team Activities (OTAs). It was an issue that caused him to miss all remaining OTA practices and a good portion majority if mini-camp.

Prior to returning to the field earlier this week, Beckham Jr. was asked about his hamstring, saying if it wasn't 100% healed it was certainly close to it. But following this latest "tweak," the Giants may opt to err on the side of caution and shut him down for a little while.

"Now, who knows how long," Coughlin said. "Those hamstrings, don't ask me. I have no idea. … He missed today. He said it's sore. That is about all you can ask."

Starting to sound like the rookie is firmly planting his behind in Coughlin's doghouse and on Hakeem Nicks' old stationary bike. Rough start to his NFL career.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

16 Responses to “Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. Suffered “Tweaked” Hamstring; Team Unsure When He Can Return”

Dan, is Manningham going full-speed in Beckham’s absence? Or is he limited and Jernigan taking Beckham’s snaps? And how do they look?

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Manningham took some second-team reps and he appears to be running full speed, but limited in terms of reps.

So is Jernigan working with the first team in ODB’s absence?

My hope is that they have Randle in the X-receiver spot, keep Cruz in the slot when there are three-wide situations, and have Manningham play out wide as he did when he was last here.

And by the way, you didn’t get crapped on by me over fells. In fact, I think I made it clear I agreed with you and was surprised to see someone else assumed that it would be Robinson plus the two veterans.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

There’s no real set pattern. These guys are in and out constantly. But it looked like Jernigan, Cruz and Randle were first-team with Manningham and Marcus Harris getting second-team reps.

Our new kicker is looking good. I think we are starting to see evidence that going without a FB is at least an option. I wonder how Kuhn looked. My thought about Patterson was more about Kuhn than it was Patterson. If Patterson can ever regain what he once was that’s great though I don’t believe he will. I also wonder how Hankins is doing. We need a big year form Hankins.

Manningham becomes real important now. Even if ODB is only out a few days him getting behind is how rookies end up getting very few snaps to begin the year. We need another outside WR and Manningham is the likely option if healthy.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

And just as I dismiss Manninghams chances at playing a role in our season the door opens for him.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

55-
    Yeah I saw the follow up you left for my comment on the previous thread. You make a good argument. And I can’t say that this Tyree “Controversy” is black and white. There’s certainly a large gray area when it comes to employment and beliefs.

Personally I don’t object to the Giants hiring Tyree, but I also don’t object to the statement the HRC released. I think it’s a tricky issue.

The one thing I find cowardly in general is the denouncement of Ga-y’s by using religion. ie “I don’t personally believe this, but my religion does.” I find it easier to stomach people who own their bigotry than those who hide behind the cover of religion.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Oh good a political discussion, gun laws next?

•  Nosh.0 says:

I can’t say anymore. I’ve already teetered on the line today of getting myself banned. I’m thankful Dan allowed all my posts today to stick, I don’t want to push it any further.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Yep I was just joking I don’t want to become the next Jim Stoll either. Lets stick with football.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

I think it’s clear that ODB’s problem is his jersey number. That bright red #13 brings back too many memories of Ramses Barden sitting on the bench. Give the kid a real number.

Personally I think Randle needs to grab #88, which will make him look like the 6’2 WR he is. Or at the very least #81.

I’m O.K. with Jurnigan wearing #12. Not crazy about it for a WR but I can live with it.

But ODB was our first round pick. That kid needs a number with some authority. I think #84 will work for him but you could also talk me in #85 (Chad Johnson, Gregg Jennings) or #89 (Steve Smith).

•  kujo says:

LOL! I’m hoping he takes 88 so I can keep this Nicks jersey and just swap out the nameplate.

•  kujo says:

He being ODB, of course. You gotta keep the Rantard number in the single digits for obvious reasons…

6.  Dirt says:

Hi, I think black people are pretty stupid – at the very least they aren’t good enough to play quarterback, but I think I can serve your organization well in your open position of Director of Player Development. Please find my attached resume. I can provide additional references upon demand.

Regards,
    Dirt

•  Dirt says:

In all seriousness, as patently absurd as hiring a publicly-known racist would be, HRC needs to chill. People of Tyree’s ilk believe ideas that don’t match your own can be counseled away, so there’s still hope to get Tyree on the pro-ghey train.

•  Dirt says:

Ok really in all seriousness now, sarcasm completely off, the NFL has no place for intolerance. There once was a figure who shall remain nameless who got into hot water for sharing such opinions as those I sarcastically posted above during a league-licensed telecast. Then he was run out of town. Why? Because it’s whatever the hell date it is in the 21st century, where no one really wants to hear how you dislike or just plain old disagree with any group.

They just care about football.

So shut up.