July 23rd, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Shortly after the New York Giants announced the hire of David Tyree as their new Director of Player Development on Tuesday, the Human Rights Campaign made their objections clear. They do not support the Giants' decision based on remarks Tyree made in both 2011 and 2013.

When asked about the hire on Wednesday, General Manager Jerry Reese stood by the team's decision, saying Tyree was not only qualified for the job, but is allowed to have his own religious beliefs and opinions even if they do not reflect the organization's beliefs and opinions.

"Number one, he was qualified for the job. He is a terrific fit for us and we're happy to have him on board," Reese said prior to practice. "Sometimes you say some things that maybe you don't want to say or shouldn't have said and things can get blown out of proportion to a degree. But I'm not here to talk about social issues or somebody's personal opinion about their beliefs.

"I believe everybody should be treated equal, I believe everybody should be treated fairly, I believe everybody should have an opinion on what they want to say. Most of all I believe I should mind my own business and try to keep the plank out of my own eye."

That stance was not acceptable to the Human Rights Campaign however, who almost immediately released another statement blasting the Giants, Reese and Tyree following the General Manager's interview.

“The suggestion that LGBT people should somehow try to change an immutable aspect of their identity is not just silly, it’s downright dangerous,” said Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin. “David Tyree is seen as a role model by countless fans across the country. By promoting these harmful personal views shrouded as facts, there’s no question that he’s inflicting lasting damage on individuals – especially young people victimized by adults who see his words as license to try and ‘cure’ their homosexuality with physical and psychological torture tactics.”

It remains unclear what, exactly, the HRC is trying to accomplish by their relentless onslaught of the Giants and Tyree, but we can expect this issue to linger for a long, long time as they clearly are not tolerant of what they believe to be Tyree's intolerance.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: David Tyree, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL

Short URL:

17 Responses to “Giants’ Jerry Reese Stands by Decision to Hire David Tyree; Human Rights Campaign not Happy”

“The thought police would get him just the same. He had committed—would have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper—the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you.”

Oh-oh, getting literary. Never mind Orwell. These HRC people would give the thought police a real run for their money. Mao had nothing on them.

2.  Nosh.0 says:

Trade Value Rankings

The list obviously favors young guys on rookie deals. Only major problem I see is that Luck and Rodgers are not the top 2 guys.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

Eagles just lost Lane Johnson for 4 weeks. PED Suspension.

That’s bad news for them but of course we don’t play them while he’s out.

I will never understand how weed gets you six weeks but PEDs get you four. One is an attempt to improve your performance artificially. The other is recreational.

Seems illogical, but I don’t really care at this point.

Who is Johnson’s backup? I’m sorry we don’t play them until Week 6. Hopefully ohnson’s absence costs them a game or two during the four he’ll miss.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah I think the NFL will go the way of the NBA in it’s next CBA. No more testing for weed.

You know, these HRC people are starting to make me dislike them intensely and lose any interest in whatever they have to say….ever.

I hope Met Life is ready for an assault on them as a major sponsor of the Giants, because that’s probably next. Those creeps can’t do anything about the networks because they make way too much money on the NFL to pay much attention to a narrowly-focused interest group, but a sponsor might be vulnerable in this Age of Absolute Political Correctness that carries into attempted mind-control.

5.  Since 1963 says:

I disagree with most of the views recorded here. Bigotry isn’t an “opinion.” The First Amendment guarantees Tyree’s right to express himself, but that doesn’t mean he has to hold this particular job. Fifty years ago, people were lynched, beaten, or imprisoned because they believed that the right to vote did not depend on skin color. Human rights organizations were the loudest, strongest voices raised in protest, and were vilified in many quarters for it. Blaming the messenger doesn’t wipe away the bad news, even in a football context. (See: Washington Redskins.)

That said, the HRC has blamed Tyree on no evidence for acts of violence not yet committed, which is overstating (and spoiling) the case. The HRC would have been on firmer–and, in my opinion, unassailable–ground by questioning whether Giants’ ownership, having publicly supported Michael Sams, has lived up to those words. If I were an NFL player, I wouldn’t trust Tyree to “forget” his intolerance, and whether he deserves to occupy a sensitive position that involves mentoring is a question worth asking. Would any of us trust someone to deal fairly and justly in a job having to do with interpersonal and social issues if he’d gone on record attacking one group or other?

Don’t get me wrong. David Tyree is our hero, and he remains one. But I can love what he did on the field and still deplore what he’s said off it, to the point that he may have no place in the front office. I can love the Giants as a team and still think they’re doing something ethically dubious by hiring him. Must it be “my team, right or wrong?”

I doubt many of us agree with Tyree’s views. But the human rights organizations that were so heroic during the Civil Rights Movement, and to which you refer, were quite explicit (I know, I was a member and quite active) in stating that they didn’t care about anyone’s opinions and didn’t deny them the right to express them, but insisted upon a change in BEHAVIOR and laws.

My opinions about this have NOTHING to do with the Giants. If the hated Eagles had hired Tyree and this outcry arose I’d feel exactly the same way. No one has the right to deny anyone his First Amendment rights. No one should ever be denied a job because of his opinions (absent behavior consistent with those opinions that would affect his execution of that job). No one should have to live in the world that the HRC would like to see.

I’m done with this. Frankly, it makes my blood boil. Right or wrong in his opinions and beliefs, David Tyree is doing nothing that isn’t his constitutional right and the Giants are doing nothing the least bit wrong. The HRC is intolerant in a way FAR more dangerous than anything Tyree has ever said or done.

•  Since 1963 says:

I disagree. If Tyree has a constitutional right to the job (which is doubtful), the HRC has the same right to criticize him and the Giants.

I could be wrong, but David Tyree is probably not a recognized expert in any of the disciplines his statements invoke, including religion. So it’s not as if his voice was in demand, yet he gave it. Again, a constitutional right; but do you want an employee shooting off his mouth to the media about sensitive issues he knows nothing about, especially when he’s in a position to influence how people behave?

Yes, I remember the 1960s also, and the summer I spent in North Carolina working for the American Friends Service Committee among tobacco sharecroppers.

Where did I say he has a constitutional right to a job? He has a constitutional right to express his opinion, unless when I wasn’t looking the First Amendment was dispatched.

Where did I say the HRC doesn’t have a right to criticize Tyree and the Giants?

If you disagree, please disagree with what I actually wrote. I’m no straw man.

I stand by what I said: the HRC’s intolerance is more dangerous than Tyree’s beliefs. Their way is the slippery slope to hell.

•  Krow says:

While he has no constitutional right to a job … he certainly has legal protection from being denied one based on his beliefs.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

I got no problem with what the HRC is doing. They gotta bang on Tyree for the stupid s_H_i-t he said. I believe their motive is not for Tyree to lose his job, but to point out that his view point is ignorant and dangerous.

You have to remember, G-ay people are oppressed around the world. So when someone makes a statement like Tyree, you denounce it. You point out how ridiculous it is.

It’s not about David Tyree and his job. It’s a worldwide struggle for equal rights for G-a-y and ****. And you fight that one battle at a time. By denouncing ignorant statements made under the cover of religion.

Once again, whether you were a member of the ACLU, or SNCC, or the Freedom Riders, or the NAACP, or the American Friends Service Committee, a FUNDAMENTAL and core belief of the civil rights movement was that what needed to be changed were laws and behavior, and to hell with beliefs and opinions. We specifically stated that those beliefs would change over time once people learned to live together and tolerate differences but that we weren’t after minds and hearts in the short run, just justice and equal rights under the Constitution.

And sure gay people are oppressed around the world (so, in many places, are women, Jews, Christians, Muslims, the mentally ill, Buddhists, Kurds, and on and on), but there’s oppression and there’s oppression. The HRC would be better served going after the laws in states that still discriminate against their community and staying away from trying to interfere with the hiring of people who do not agree with them for reasons that are sincere and valid according to their belief systems, whether right or wrong.

You can fight bad law, and stop unconstitutional behavior. That’s healthy. Mandating a way of thinking and believing is not only impossible, but extremely dangerous.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

I’m just excited we get to talk politics on G101 again. I guess we need to wait for a Giants player to shoot him self again in order to discuss gun laws.

8.  Since 1963 says:

Yes. He’ll be the JPP of marksmen.