2014 New York Giants Training Camp: Early 53-Man Roster Prediction

July 23rd, 2014 at 11:00 AM

With New York Giants training camp now officially underway, and having completed our long series of training camp previews, the tallies are in and our initial 53-man roster prediction is set. Obviously, things were forced to change a bit as the result of Chris Snee's retirement, and other factors are certain to pop up as the next few weeks move along. But, at least for the time being, this is what we've got.

We have the Giants returning to two quarterbacks on the roster and keeping an extra spot for long-snapper Zak DeOssie. We also have them going with three tight ends, nine offensive linemen, nine defensive linemen and only four safeties.

Here's our full prediction:

Quarterbacks (2): Eli Manning, Ryan Nassib
Running Backs (4): Rashad Jennings, David Wilson, Andre Williams, Michael Cox
Fullback (1): John Conner
Wide Receivers (6): Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle, Odell Beckham Jr., Mario Manningham, Jerrel Jernigan, Trindon Holliday
Tight Ends (3): Kellen Davis, Adrien Robinson, Daniel Fells
Offensive Line (9): Will Beatty, Geoff Schwartz, J.D. Walton, John Jerry, Justin Pugh, Weston Richburg, James Brewer, Brandon Mosley, Charles Brown
Defensive Ends (4): Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathias Kiwanuka, Damontre Moore, Robert Ayers
Defensive Tackles (5): Johnathan Hankins, Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson, Markus Kuhn, Jay Bromley
Linebackers (6): Jon Beason, Jameel McClain, Jacquian Williams, Devon Kennard, Mark Herzlich, Spencer Paysinger
Cornerbacks (6): Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Prince Amukamara, Walter Thurmond III, Trumaine McBride, Zack Bowman, Charles James
Safeties (4): Antrel Rolle, Stevie Brown, Quintin Demps, Cooper Taylor
Special Teams (3): Steve Weatherford, Josh Brown, Zak DeOssie

We've also put together a prediction for the eight-man Practice Squad, which is obviously a bit of a crapshoot. There will undoubtedly be a player or two from this list immediately signed to the active roster of another team, so "subject to change" seems appropriate.

Practice Squad (8): RB Kendall Gaskins, TE Xavier Grimble, WR Marcus Harris, OL Troy Kropog, DT Kelcy Quarles, LB Dan Fox, CB Bennett Jackson, S Nat Berhe

Feel free to begin telling us how far off we are and offering your own 53-man roster predictions.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Brandon Mosley, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Eli Manning, Football, Jameel McClain, Jason Pierre-Paul, John Jerry, Johnathan Hankins, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Rashad Jennings, Will Beatty

Short URL:

20 Responses to “2014 New York Giants Training Camp: Early 53-Man Roster Prediction”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

This roster seems accurate.

Although I’m not sold on Holliday actually making the team. Especially if Demps or ODB is returning kicks/ punts.

Add Holiday and our Average height of our WR’s are just a tad under 5’11.

2.  kujo says:

Interesting list. Some thoughts:

- Only 2 QBs? Your screen to God’s ears…

- Really hope they don’t keep Cox over Hillis.

- I think Donnell gets the nod over Davis, but it’s like trying to pick the skinniest girl at fat camp.

3.  turkish says:

McAdoo’s short, intermediate, screen style, WCO plays to Eli’s strengths. Cruz will be excellent underneath. I really feel like Wilson will be better off the screen than in the trenches. Kid could be Sproles like in open space.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Since when has Eli’s strength EVER been in his short passing game?

I don’t see that about Wilson. Hate to say it, but i think we have a bust on our hands, and not because of his ability. I think his injury will hold him back. Yup. Medical clearance or not.

•  kujo says:

Eli throws one of the best deep balls in the business…

…when he has time…and talent at WR….

…which he didn’t have last year…and appears to have this year…

I don’t see Cox ramming his way into this roster.

I think Donnell makes it over either Davis or Fells.

Kelcy Quarles could surprise Marcus Kuhn.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Cox came in an entirely different person and player than he was a year ago. Coughlin has raved about him since the very moment he first saw him earlier this offseason. I also gave it to Davis and Fells over Donnell because of experience and better blocking ability — especially if they’re going with the 0 experience Adrien Robinson.

As far as Kuhn, he was pushing Hankins for first-teams reps in OTAs and mini-camp.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Quarles over Kuhn is def a possibility. I also don’t see Cox on this roster. The kid sucks.

5. Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

Good to see this place active again. Hopefully I will have the time to start up some college prospect scouting reports. Hopefully this new job search ends soon so I can start putting those together. I actually recieved a response from the Giants that they wanted to see more for this season and would consider giving me an employment opportunity.

On to this roster, I see it the exact same way as Dan except I think they find a spot for Berhe, probably but cutting Taylor but well see how camp goes.

6.  Kettles78 says:

I am thinking they are keeping Donnell over Fells

I am also wondering if they would consider keeping Bennett Jackson over Charles James since Jackson is going to be a Corner/Safety possibility.

7.  ERICHONIUS says:

I dont think we could keep Kelcy Quarles on the PS.

8.  BBWC says:

I have to agree with what Kujo mentioned…..
    Donnell over Davis and Hillis over Cox.
    Other than that, I agree with the rest of the list.

9.  Kettles78 says:

My thinking on Cox over Hillis is that Cox can do a few more things like special teams and that is why they would keep him over Hillis

Very nice take Dan. Hard to disagree with most of it.

I think Cox is almost a lock over Hillis because: 1) I believe the Giants WILL stick with a true fullback so Hillis should not be thought of as a “solution” at two positions; and 2) Hillis is a power back and we just drafted a kid in Williams who combines power with explosiveness that Hillis can only dream of so we really don’t need him (the only way I see Cox disappearing is if he becomes trade bait for a 6th or 7th pick in the next draft, and perhaps not then).

Funny, I thought I was the only one around here who thought that both Davis and Fells would make the team over Donnell. Given that we’re going to use two tight ends at times and that Robinson is still inexperienced, I just don’t see why they wouldn’t keep two veterans unless Donnell blows the doors off in preseason, which is not something I expect (thought we may see that from Robinson).

I love Charles James but I can see him being dropped in favor of Bennett or Behre, both of whom have, I think, futures here.

I can easily see Brewer playing his way off the team this summer. And I think Herzlich needs to step it up or he could be given his walking papers, particularly if Fox plays very well and a few of the youngsters prove they can make plays on special teams (which was where Mark really shined).

And we’d all better hope Nassib shows enough to allow them to go with two quarterbacks. He’s a long way from there based upon what was said about OTAs.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Do not see Herzlick staying o Quarles leaving. Hillis is gone no way we send Behr to the practice squad. If we send Quarles or Behr to the PS they will be gone.