New York Giants Hire David Tyree as Director of Player Development

July 22nd, 2014 at 11:00 AM

The New York Giants announced on Tuesday that retired wide receiver David Tyree will be returning to the organization and taking over the role of Director of Player Development, which was left vacant when Charles Way was named the NFL's Head of Player Engagement.

“I’m overwhelmed with joy,” said Tyree. “I guess you could say it’s a second homecoming. I’m grateful to have an experience with Charles Way, seeing his growth, his maturity as a professional. It even, to some degree, has impacted my life personally as a professional. Then having this opportunity to fill those shoes, I’m just grateful for the foundation that’s been laid, I’m grateful to be an example and hopefully represent this great organization in the same light and continue the great atmosphere and tradition of a wonderful organization with a premier culture. I’m just thrilled to get in here and serve these players.”

Tyree, who is most well-known for his incredible helmet catch in Super Bowl XLII, has spent the preview two years working in the league office as a part of their player engagement and development department. He beat out three other candidates for the Giants job.

“We are pleased to have David back in the building as the new leader of our Player Development Department,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “We interviewed four outstanding candidates to replace Charles, but at the end of the day David was a perfect and natural fit.”

As the Giants' Director of Player Development, Tyree will be responsible for overseeing career transition (both for rookies and retirees), player assistance, including their families, as well as training and development. And, much like Way had done previously, Tyree will attend positional meetings and join the team on the practice field.

“He’ll be in all of my meetings,” head coach Tom Coughlin said. “He’ll be in all of our team meetings and he’ll certainly have an opportunity to contribute on the field, whether it is special teams or whatever.”

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Charles Way, David Tyree, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

8 Responses to “New York Giants Hire David Tyree as Director of Player Development”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    July 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    Surprised at only 4 safeties. I think we have to strongly consider keeping 5 safeties because Cooper is the only one under contract for next year and minus hill we need all the young talent we can get. Berhe reminds me of Cooper last year in that we may keep him on the 53 because of the future more than this year.

The more I think about it I see keeping 4 DTs as more likely. If we are keeping Quarless on the PS we have talent waiting on the wings should injuries occur. keeping 5 DEs makes much more sense than 5 DTs because Ayers will play the Tuck role as DT on passing downs and playing so much nickel that role is not small. I have questions about our durability at DT which is why I want to carry 5 DTs but keeping talent at other positions like safety just might make more sense. It might be Kuhn vs Patterson for a roster spot. And given the offseason reports Kuhn has a better chance than many would think at first glance if we do only keep 4 DTs.

Dan BentonDan Benton says:
    July 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    I just don’t see how they can keep a 5th safety when they may end up with 6 CBs. When you account for DeOssie as the long-snapper, the team really begins to run out of roster spots. By adding a 5th safety, it would eliminated a 6th safety. I already had to go back and remove a DT for that exact reason and adding a 5th safety would force me to remove someone from somewhere else, too.

GOAT56 says:
    July 22, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    2 QBs
    4 RBs
    1 FB
    6 WRs
    3 TEs
    9 OL
    4 DTs
    5 DEs
    5 LBs
    6 CBs
    5 Safeties
    3 ST

Is what I’m thinking today. I think Berhe would offer more as a 5th saftey long term wise than Herzlich or Fox do at LB. Beason’s progress definitely factors in. 11 DBs is a lot but not uncommon in today’s NFL. The only position I feel like we could eb keeping a player though the talent doesn’t dictate it is 6th WR. If Holiday loses the KR job like it was predicted here then as just a PR and 6th WR he doesn’t provide enough value for a roster spot to me. But with this offense I think we need 6 WRs for depth purposes.

Dan BentonDan Benton says:
    July 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    I’d honestly be surprised if the Giants go with 5 LBs. With new faces and inexperience, Beason hurt and a rookie certain to make the roster, I think they need to keep a 6th.

Repost:

5 LBs
    6 CBs
    5 Safeties
    3 ST

Dan BentonDan Benton says:
    July 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I can’t argue against the need for LB. I do think keeping young safeties is very important as well. And Demps seems too good to cut. Maybe another position has is cut. That position could be OL. No one outside of the top 8 is guaranteed to be roster worthy. We still have Herman with PS eligibility and we could keep another young OL player as well.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

My debate there was which do we expect to see more: 3 safeties or 3 cornerbacks. And I have read multiple articles suggesting they plan to keep Thurmond III on the field 90% of the time. And if that’s true (I stress if) they’ll have no real use for a 5th safety. If it’s wrong however, then I can see more of a need for a 5th safety.

My concern is 2 fold. Keeping a young safety like Berhe in the fold and not snatched off PS. But also some concern about Brown since he’s returning from injury. Scheme wise you are probably right that since a 3rd safety won’t play nearly as much as before then 4 safeties is adequate depth.

3.  Kettles78 says:

I enjoy the preseason so much for the reason of seeing who will be kept. I am just glad this year they are not expected to keep 3 QBs. I felt that was such a waste of a spot last year.

4.  jb322 says:

Does anyone think they may decide to not go with a prototypical fullback? I have seen some chatter on the boards about that. To me, while I love the Berhe pick, it doesn’t make sense if he is not going to make the team. I love the player he can be for the Giants but I thought it was an overcrowded position even before the draft. I see alot of people are convinced that Demps is a lock for this team, but my gut is telling me he could be the odd man out, with Holliday, Beckham and Wilson all making the team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wilson goes back to kick returns if the early reports on Jennings and Williams turn out to be positive.

5.  turkish says:

Sounds like guys are dropping left and right out there.