Temperatures approached 90 degrees in East Rutherford, New Jersey on Tuesday as the New York Giants took the field for their very first training camp practice. And although the team was only in shells, excitement and enthusiasm was in the air as they got their first real taste of the 2014 season.
Prior to practice, players spoke with members of the media, but most information had just been rehashed. It was clear their focus was on getting onto the field for the first time and, following warmups, players and coaches dove right in as if there had been no offseason at all. They, of course, were anxious to improve their odds on Carbon Sportsbook.
Some things from practice stood out, others didn't. Here's what we noted:
- Brandon Mosley practiced at RG with the first-team offense, John Jerry with the second-team and Weston Richburg with the third-team; however, Richburd did receive a few reps with the first-team at guards towards the end of practice.
- The first-team offensive line during the first few series: Will Beatty (LT), Geoff Schwartz (LG), J.D. Walton (C), Brandon Mosley (RG), Justin Pugh (RT). Charles Brown also saw some first-team snaps in the second half of practice.
- Brandon Mosley was carted off toward the end of practice, but did not appear to be in significant pain. Heat could have been a factor.
- Dallas Reynolds received some second-team reps at right guard.
- Jacquian Williams, Jameel McClain and rookie Devon Kennard were first-team linebackers.
- Mike Patterson saw first-team reps at defensive tackle, while David Wilson received second-teams reps at running back.
- Andre Williams was used on goal line packages and caught the first pass thrown his way. He was very impressive, decisive and north-south as advertised.
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie had the first INT of camp after Odell Beckham Jr. stopped short on a route — hard to tell if he cramped up or it was miscommunication.
- Trindon Holliday was immediately thrown in at wide receiver and promptly dropped the very first pass thrown his way.
- Rueben Randle, Trindon Holliday, Odell Beckham Jr. and Victor Cruz all fielded punts. Mario Manningham also fielded one for the heck of it.
- The Giants' warm-up routine was drastically different from what we've seen in the recent past — clearly injuries over the past few years have resulted in a much-needed change.
- Giants ran a fake punt to Quintin Demps. Wonder if we'll actually see that in a game?
- Ben McAdoo appeared to be working very closely with both quarterbacks and tight ends.
- As expected, the defense appears to be light years ahead of the new-look offense.
The most glaring note of the day: the offense moves very, very quickly. It could be because we're used to Kevin Gilbride's offense, but things seem overwhelmingly fast at times on Tuesday. And that is exciting.
Of course, nearly all of this was over-shadowed by four players being forced to leave the field (three carted off) due to a variety of issues. We have those updates here: Giants' Jameel McClain, Brandon Mosley & Xavier Grimble Carted Off During First Camp Practice
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Ben McAdoo, Brandon Mosley, Football, J.D. Walton, John Jerry, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Quintin Demps, Rueben Randle, Trindon Holliday, Victor Cruz, Will Beatty
No related posts.