New York Giants Teammates, Coaches React to Retirement of Chris Snee

July 21st, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Even before the New York Giants officially announced that offensive lineman Chris Snee had retired, several of his current and former teammates hit social media channels in order to express their appreciation for him and his career. Once the announcement was made public, even more chose to speak up in praise of the two-time Super Bowl champion. It's a testament to the man and the player. Once a Giant, Always a Giant.

Many more comments after the jump:

John Mara:

“I think Chris was everything you could ever hope for in a player: toughness, integrity, and a lot of pride,” Giants president and chief executive officer John Mara said via Giants.com. “Winning mattered to him. I think he set a great example for all of the other players. He’s somebody we’re going to miss very much. He was one of the greatest offensive linemen in Giants history, and he’ll be on that Ring of Honor someday.”

Jerry Reese:

“Chris is a pro’s pro,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He played the game right. He was as tough and prideful as they come. We will miss him.”

Tom Coughlin:

“To me, he was the best guard in all of football,” Coughlin said. “No doubt. No matter who you put him against, all of the great defensive tackles in the game, the 350 (pound) guys, the 340 guys, he blocked them. When he first came here, he was so, so committed and so driven to excel at the professional level as he had excelled at the collegiate level (at Boston College).”

Steve Tisch:

“Chris has been a great Giant, on and off the field,” said team chairman Steve Tisch. “And that is the highest compliment we can pay somebody around here.”

Eli Manning:

“He called me yesterday and told me the news,” Manning said. “I kind of knew there was a possibility with everything going on with his health. I’m obviously disappointed just because we’ve had a long run together. We came in the same year, were roommates for home games and away games that first year. We’ve won a lot of games and been through a lot together and been great pals, so I told him I’d miss him. He was the last one from our original class that came in together, but he’s got to do what’s best for him. I think he made a decision kind of based on how he’s feeling and also based on what’s best for the Giants. He’s a true team player and just didn’t think he was going to be able to help and wanted to put us in a situation where we kind of knew that early on. We’re going to definitely miss his leadership and his presence around the locker room, around the team, but we’ll still be great friends.”

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Chris Snee, Eli Manning, Football, Jay Feely, Jerry Reese, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Smith, Steve Tisch, Tom Coughlin

22 Responses to “New York Giants Teammates, Coaches React to Retirement of Chris Snee”

1.  kujo says:

You’d be hard pressed to assemble an offensive line as good or as cheap as the one we had from 2007-2009. Diehl, Seubert, O’Hara, Snee and McKenzie made up an elite unit during that time period, with 3/5ths of it coming into the league as low-drafted or undrafted players. You don’t see that as much these days, at least not to the same degree. In fact, that has been my chief criticism of Reese–that he was relying on an outdated model of acquiring and assembling the OL by drafting guys like Brewer, Petrus et. al., instead of making more frequent expenditures in the upper part of the draft and free agency.

Still, hard to argue with the results of his approach in the early years.

2.  kujo says:

Just checked out that photo gallery on Giants.com of the players arriving to camp. Biggest impression was how big Mosley looks!

3.  skinnydoogan says:

Saw that, Hankins looks even bigger. Hate to say it Hillis looks jacked too.

•  kujo says:

Why do you “hate to say it?” Dude was probably the best RB we had last year, and could wind up playing the Kuhn roll on this offense, alongside Conner.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Wrong choice of words, all that talk about him being slow and stuff, he looks like he is in great shape.

•  kujo says:

Gotcha.

•  skinnydoogan says:

He is definitely in better shape now then when he got off the couch to play for us last year. Could signal the end to at least one of our fullbacks.

•  wduda83 says:

In the “Kuhn” role, I could see Hillis taking both FB jobs away. He was a FB at Arkansas and early in his career in the NFL.

Repost:

Krow says:
    July 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    Just want to take a minute to extend good wishes to all my fellow posters who are dealing with personal loss and tragedy. The forum is often anonymous and impersonal … and we tend to forget that there are real people behind these keyboards. My sincere condolences.

I share the same sentiments as well.

•  kujo says:

Ditto to what Krow said. We’re a family on here, but a different sort–most of us don’t know what goes on in the analog lives of our fellow posters, so when someone goes missing for several days/weeks/months, we get worried. Norm, Dirt, rljhjr, skinny….know that you are all in my prayers.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Kujo, thanks. I have been saying a few prayers for you as well. You are getting close to one of the greatest things that will ever happen to you in life (kids) I have 4, it never gets old. Just please don’t have one go “rogue” on you like my oldest did, he is a Dallas fan.

Does J Williams look any bigger? If he just got to 235 I think he could be a high quality starter for us.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Looks the same. PS I was wrong on Snee. Krow was correct. Mia Culpa

6.  kujo says:

Conditioning test about to start. Beason not running, but it looks like Beatty is going to.

•  kujo says:

John Jerry doesn’t appear to be running.

Beatty that’s very good news. If all of our starters are ready outside of Beason that’s great!

I agree on McClain. His signing was a very good one because he can backup MLB as well.

How does Moore look size wise?

7.  kujo says:

Beatty was fastest OL running the conditioning test.

He is a OT so it should be him, Brown or Richberg. that’s great news though about him being physically ready to go. Does Beatty look big? Beatty is athletic but his issue can be strength?

•  kujo says:

I haven’t seen any of this myself. Just parroting what I’m reading on Twitter. I imagine Giants.com will post video and pictures later on.