New York Giants OL Chris Snee Officially Retires from NFL

July 21st, 2014 at 1:00 PM

As was rumored, reported and speculated, long-time New York Giants guard, Chris Snee, officially announced his retirement from the NFL on Monday.

“He called me yesterday and told me the news,” Eli Manning said via Giants.com. “I kind of knew there was a possibility with everything going on with his health. I’m obviously disappointed just because we’ve had a long run together. We came in the same year, were roommates for home games and away games that first year. We’ve won a lot of games and been through a lot together and been great pals, so I told him I’d miss him. He was the last one from our original class that came in together, but he’s got to do what’s best for him. I think he made a decision kind of based on how he’s feeling and also based on what’s best for the Giants. He’s a true team player and just didn’t think he was going to be able to help and wanted to put us in a situation where we kind of knew that early on. We’re going to definitely miss his leadership and his presence around the locker room, around the team, but we’ll still be great friends.”

Snee, originally a second-round pick of the Giants in the 2004 NFL Draft, was part of what many consider to be one of the greatest offensive lines in team history alongside David Diehl, Shaun O'Hara, Rich Seubert and Kareem McKenzie. He was also one of only four remaining players from the 2007 championship team (Eli Manning, Zak DeOssie and Mathias Kiwanuka the others).

The 10-year veteran retires having started all 141 games in which he played, been named to Pro Bowl four times (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012), an All-Pro Team three time (2008, 2009, 2010) and, of course, winning two Super Bowl titles (2007, 2011).

“Chris is a pro’s pro,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He played the game right. He was as tough and prideful as they come. We will miss him.”

Snee had hoped to play in 2014, saying early on this offseason that he felt 100%, but after experiencing some inflammation in his elbow following an earlier surgery, Snee was faced with the reality that his body could just no longer handle the grind of a full NFL season. And knowing how important it was to the Giants to have a decision made early, he opted not to wait any longer, retiring as the team arrived for the start of training camp.

We wish Snee well in any and all his future endeavors. There are two titles that would have never been won without him and for that, we are forever grateful.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Chris Snee, David Diehl, Eli Manning, Football, Kareem McKenzie, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rich Seubert, Zak DeOssie

14 Responses to “New York Giants OL Chris Snee Officially Retires from NFL”

Wait! What will Krow do now that his White Whale is dead and gone?

Let’s hope that Mosley can become 85% as good as was Snee in his prime.

As Dan goes through these position reviews it becomes very clear that Jerry Reese (with, I’m sure, a strong push from John Mara) put together more depth on this team than they’ve had in a long, long, time. These preseason battles for positions and roster spots will be fierce.

And once again, we owe Chris Snee a measure of gratitude because he was a critical part of two championships and a very, very, good player. I wish him well. He’ll be okay. He put enough money away and he’s an intelligent guy. No charity dinners will be necessary for him.

And moving right along….

If your hope is, as mine is, that the Giants will be seriously competitive this season but should be a ferocious team to be feared by 2015-2016, then Snee’s retirement is a good thing because it cements the likelihood that a young player will make the roster and start becoming part of the core of the offensive l;ine that should be together for a good number of years as they get as familiar with each other under Flaherty’s guidance as were those great lines of not so many seasons ago.

Whether Jerry wins the starting guard position or not, Mosley is going to play an important role on this line, and he will be joining Pugh, Richburg, Schwartz, Walton and now probably either Brewer or Herman as part of a group to build around. Perhaps Beatty joins that group but while I hope that’s the case, I just have to see it to believe it. For him to say that the disaster of 2013 was because he “felt mental pressure because of the contract” really makes me wonder if he has what it takes to get any better. I’ve included Schwartz and Walton because neither is old for an offensive lineman and both could play another 6-7 years.

I’m hoping for a starting lineup of Beatty, Schwartz, Walton, Mosley and Pugh. I didn’t move Schwartz to his natural right side because if Beatty starts I think they HAVE to have a really reliable veteran on his right to protect him, and Schwartz is the obvious candidate. I want Richburg trained to be the center for the next decade, but wouldn’t mind seeing him challenge for a guard position for his first season or two. I feel pretty comfortable that Jerry could give us average NFL ability at guard, but I have a feeling that Mosley (or Richburg) can give us more than that right now, and I’d like to see Jerry become depth.

I’m hoping that somehow Brewer shows he can play tackle. That hasn’t really been apparent so far, but it would be a huge help if he can at least be solid depth at that position. I think though, that no matter what, a left tackle has to be the highest priority in the draft next spring. We need a better answer there than we’ll have in 2014. For this season I’m just hoping for “adequate”.

Just want to take a minute to extend good wishes to all my fellow posters who are dealing with personal loss and tragedy. The forum is often anonymous and impersonal … and we tend to forget that there are real people behind these keyboards. My sincere condolences.

Chris Snee … pre-2012 … thanks for all the memories and the role you played in two amazing Superbowl runs. You were a great player and a class individual. Here’s hoping you slip seamlessly into life-after-football.

Chris $nee … post-2012 … adios dirtbag.

6.  kujo says:

He won’t get a commercial showing fans tipping their cap, or a year-long salute with presents and farewells from opposing fan bases…

But Chris Snee deserves an enormous measure of respect from Giants fans. All the money stuff aside, this dude was the best offensive lineman we’ve had in the last 2 decades. When he was in his prime, he was a versatile, mean, athletic dude that anchored that right side as the best interior OL in the business. He was always spoken of as family because of his connection to Coughlin, but in the free agency era, he played every down of his career as a New York Giant, racking up Pro Bowls and All Pro’s year after year.

I tip the cap to you, Snee. Gonna miss seeing #76 pounding dudes.

Next man up!

7.  kujo says:

I keep forgetting about Brewer, but I gotta say–if they’re thinking of having Charles Brown start camp as LT1 while Beatty recovers, that oughta be all she wrote for the teddy bear-totting “left tackle feet” bum named Brewer.

8.  rlhjr says:

I quit pounding Snee months ago. It came to me the guy had a mother and kids that love him. He was only trying to do what any of us would. Make his body do what his mind wanted it to, and get paid for doing so. That is after what each and every NFL player is trying to do.

However, when he spoke of getting back I knew it was just his pride speaking.
    All jokes aside, someone (Coughlin) should have had “THE TALK” with this kid two seasons ago. Because it was clear he was done at that point. Kujo is right, Snee was a genuine a$$ kicker in his prime. In fact he and Diehl were really the only two nasty physical SOB’s (Honorable mention McKenzie) the team had.

But slowly he began being the man caught with his had in the cookie jar on third down holding calls. Especially IMPORTANT third down calls. That’s not good news from any interior line position.

All n All a really good offensive lineman who father time caught up to.
    God bless him, all he best.