New York Giants’ David Wilson Given the “All Clear” Following Monday CT Scan

July 21st, 2014 at 10:00 AM

New York Giants running back David Wilson (neck) has finally been given the all clear, tweeting that he has received the medical thumbs up from his doctor's following a Monday morning CT scan.

The news is not entirely unexpected, as optimism around the Giants had grown in recent weeks and months, with co-owner John Mara saying just last week that the team anticipated Wilson receiving full clearance prior to the start of camp.

"We expect him to be playing this year, but that is going to depend on what the doctors tell us," Mara said last Thursday. "So far, all signs are that he's going to be ready to go."

Wilson underwent spinal fusion surgery in January to repair a herniated disc in his neck (spinal stenosis) and original fears were that he'd never be able to play again. However, Wilson long-maintained that he felt not pain and was determined to return to the field.

Despite the medical clearance, the Giants are likely to take it easy with him and ease him back into the swing of things. Odds are he'll play exclusively at running back, although the possibility always remains that he eventually returns to fielding some kickoffs.

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.

Tags: David Wilson, Football, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL

11 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Wilson Given the “All Clear” Following Monday CT Scan”

Booyah!!

Giants’ running back corps just got VERY good. Possibly scary-good.

2.  Dirt says:

If they can figure out how to block (which is not as easy as I make it sound), how can you not be excited about this team?

We need this! With ODB and Wilson our offense is very explosive!

Very good news. Now let’s hope McAdoo gets him “in space” where he can terrify defenses.

Now if Beatty, Jerry and Manningham are all cleared we really are in good shape health wise.

6.  norm says:

I, too, have neither abandoned this site or forgotten about y’all.

Unfortunately, I currently am in no shape to rejoice at the annual return of football. My beloved father (and longtime Giants fan) died on Friday after a long, grueling battle with leukemia. I have spent much of the past ten months schlepping him to doctors and ERs, all the while feeling increasingly helpless as the disease gnawed relentlessly away at his body and once formidable brain. He was in a constant, excruciating pain the last month and finally agreed to return home and go on hospice last week where he was able to die surrounded by his family.

The end was truly a mitzvah for him but words cannot describe how heartsick I feel right now. The next several weeks will be consumed with helping my mom plan the memorial service and deal with all of the financial and legal red tape that inevitably follows a death.

Sorry to inject such a sour note on what is otherwise such a happy day for Giants fans but I do feel as if I have come to know many of you over the course of the past several years. Believe me when I tell you that this site has helped keep me sane during this past, very difficult year. Although I have posted very little over that time, I managed to log on and read it religiously every day. Thanks to Dan and those who posted regularly for keeping it afloat and providing a “happy place” where I could reliably find some refuge.

Hopefully, the day will soon come when I can re-emerge from the dark cloud that currently engulfs me and start contributing here on the regular again.

Until then, best to you all and Go Giants!

•  skinnydoogan says:

Norm, I am very sorry for your loss. I know you don’t know me but I know what you are going through, I have been on the sidelines myself as my Dad slowly gives in to pancreatic cancer. Bad feeling watching helplessly as this sort of thing happens. I am with you my Brother hopefully you will find some peace, now that your father has some.

•  Dirt says:

norm,

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dad as a kid, and the Giants were, too, our bond. I always think about him when then play, and had one of the most bittersweet of nights when Plax secured us a title in 2008.

There are far more important things in life, but down the road you’ll smile when thinking back about the moments you shared.

Thinkin about ya, bud.

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss norm(and skinny, you have my sympathy). My father died this January after 88 years of a great life and 5 years of decline and suffering.

We have no choice but to take the bad with the good, so the only comfort I would offer anyone who has suffered a horrible loss like norm’s is that each life lived is a miracle that is gained against odds of trillions-to-one, so remember the miraculous joy of that life. That is what gets me through those dark nights when I so sorely miss my wonderful father.

8.  Alex Ciordia says:

I’ve got to ask why everyone seems to share this idea that Wilson needs to be “put in space” to be successful. He’s been VERY successful running right through the middle of the line. I don’t have the stats handy, but he was averaging over 4 ypc up the middle. I get that he can absolutely kill a defense when hes in space but he can very easily find himself space by simply beating the linebackers to the hole. I would NOT want to be the safety that has to be the last tackler on him coming up the middle.

9.  Dirt says:

Inb4 this offense proves to be one of the most prolific in team history, and “retired” Kevin Gillbride appears in some column with an axe to grind, blaming his woes on personnel and everyone else he can think of.