July 21st, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Happy Monday, New York Giants fans! The wait is over — today is the day. Are you ready for some football? Big Blue returns to East Rutherford today and will officially report to training camp. They'll undergo physicals and some will be available to the media with the first actual practice coming on Tuesday. To start your morning, we offer the following headlines to get you geared up for a brand new season. Enjoy!

Why this Year’s Giants Training Camp is Anything but Normal

Head coach and quarterback are the two hallmarks of any NFL team, and stability and excellence in those positions is vital for short- and long-term success. In Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning, the Giants head into training camp with their franchise foundations in place, but that does not mean this is a business-as-usual summer.

There is newness all around — from the wholly redesigned playbook put together by first-year offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo to the revamped defensive backfield. There also is a heightened sense of urgency with the Giants coming off a 7-9 season short-circuited by their horrid 0-6 stumble out of the gate, stamping as official the fourth non-playoff season in the past five years.

The Giants report to camp Monday and hit the field for practice Tuesday, nearly a week earlier than most teams, a jump-start based on their participation in the Aug. 3 Hall of Fame Game against the Bills. Most years, having five preseason games elicits groans, but not this year. The extra game is welcomed, with McAdoo’s new offense to master and so many free agents to incorporate into a roster that is more than tinged with change.

Giants Hopeful as they Get Ready to Open Camp

The Giants begin training camp Monday with a new offensive coordinator, a new quarterbacks coach and upgrades on the offensive line, in the backfield and at wide receiver — all part of the quest to help their two-time Super Bowl MVP quarterback rediscover the magic that once preceded his place in the elite conversation.

Yet of all the faces, new and old, the one that matters most remains the face of the franchise and the linchpin to success.

“If you told me, ‘Go change Johnny Manziel or go change Eli Manning,’ I’m gonna run to Eli Manning,’Ÿ” Simms told The Record last week from his Franklin Lakes home. “Because there’s a lot there to go with and you could make a difference with some fine-tuning. He’s got to be willing to accept what you’re doing, and he’s been through so much, you have so many experiences to rely on and go from. All that talk about how you can’t change quarterbacks, change what he’s comfortable with for all these years, that’s just all crap. That’s not true. I changed in my 13th year under Jim Fassel. He showed me some things and I went, ‘Wow, that’s awesome. I wish I’d known this 30 years ago.’ ”

It's Like Summer School for Eli Manning as he Learns New Offense

Dressed in a white T-shirt, beige shorts and blue sneakers, Eli Manning is the picture of calm as he stands outside the Giants' cafeteria after a recent offseason workout. He smiles and speaks enthusiastically about the upcoming season, one he hopes has a far different outcome than the mistake-prone 7-9 disappointment of 2013.

Even so, there is a hint of anxiety in his voice and in his words. The Giants have a new offensive coordinator, and Manning is learning a new system for the first time since his rookie season in 2004.

Though he is six months into absorbing Ben McAdoo's West Coast offense, there is no longer the same comfort of running the only pro system he ever knew in 10 NFL seasons.

"It's definitely different," he said. "It's a different feel than we've had in a number of years. Learning a new offense, I might as well be a rookie. There are some concepts you know and there are things that I understand from being a football player and having experience. But there are still a lot of things that are different in this offense."

Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Ben McAdoo, Eli Manning, Football, Jim Fassel, Johnny Manziel, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

13 Responses to “Giants Monday Morning Storylines: Football Returns – Big Blue Ready to Report to Camp”

Thank goodness football is back!

Thank goodness we’ve got Eli Manning.

And thank you Chris Snee for being a big part of two championships and having been for 7-8 years one of the best inside offensive linemen in the NFL. Yeah, he was paid too much for what he could produce over the past few years, but so what? That happens frequently in sports as terrific players decline in the latter parts of their long-term contracts. Just ask the Steinbrenners about that.

I’m really looking forward to seeing if Brandon Mosley can become what I have said I thought he would be: a mauler in the tradition of Richie Seubert and a very solid NFL offensive lineman.

btw, I don’t disagree with Krow that being TC’s son-in-law helped Snee get that last contract. Unfortunate, but I really don’t think it cost us a ring or anything. The extra millions he got over the past two years wasn’t enough to make a huge difference in the roster. At least not enough of one to take what were teams that played really poorly to the Promised Land.

And…I think Jerry has a good chance to start at right tackle. But I think Mosley is the future and it will be a good one.

And thank you Dan for having kept things going, and having posted a fairly large number of interesting pieces, when most around here lost their appetite for participating when the players were away. Those of us who checked in once in awhile benefited significantly from the insights provided.

For those of you who haven’t been posting, how ’bout it? This has been a place where highly intelligent Giants fans can gather while avoiding the absurd stupidity of many of the fan sites that exist around the web. But if it becomes just an echo chamber for 6-10 posters then it loses a large portion of its value. I’m sure there are some great insights waiting out there to be expressed. If you want Dan to find a way to make a living from his incredibly strong efforts over the past years, PARTICIPATE!!! Eyeballs will be drawn if we get a real conversation going. There isn’t enough of that right now. And that especially goes for the many of you who have been reading but not opining over the years. Almost everyone here appreciates those who offer opinions even if we don’t agree with them. For myself, all I can say is that I come here to learn about a team I love, to feed a passion that I haven’t quenched in what is now over 60 years. Dan Benton has given me, and all of you, a classroom. Use it, but participate too because all of us want to learn from you.

•  Dirt says:

Been a long summer for me. Baby turned 1. House renovation. Work. But I’m here and plan to be now that things are picking up.

Hell, Coughlin is still coach. There will be plenty to pick apart very soon.

Good to see you back.

I have a granddaughter who just reached her 4 1/2 month mark. We get to see her nearly every day, which is great. Enjoy your one-year-old. They grow up SO fast it will astonish you. And they’re all that REALLY matters along with other family and friends, with your kids being #1 on that list. We bring ‘em into the world and from that moment on our lives are theirs, not ours.

•  G Fan since Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Remember Grand Dads —– Grandchildren are God’s gift to us for not killing our children when they were teenagers.

•  kujo says:

Without Dan Benton, my life would be a whole lot less rich. Aside from the daily conversation between myself and the 6-8 longtime G101 people on Facebook, Benton and I actually have a mutual friend–really, she’s his best friend, and a second/third cousin of mine. She recently took the time to purchase and make a couple of BEAUTIFUL gifts for my son. Keep in mind that this is a person who I’ve never met in real life, and who doesn’t know my wife at all. It made my wife smile and cry on one of those bad pregnancy days, and I’d be a liar if I said it didn’t do the same for me.

Again–Giants101 as enriched my every day life for nearly a decade. The realities of life–career, marriage, children– have decreased the amount of time I spend on here, but I always check in and post every couple of days. Hoping the onset of training camp solicits the attention of all of our old posters and brings about the newbies as well!

3.  BBWC says:

I wish Snee all the best….. He had a great career and played a huge role in the Giants success over the years. Unfortunately it’s time for both Snee and the organization to move on….. Maybe he should’ve moved on sooner, but you can’t knock Snee’s desire to continue to play and earn a living, or knock the Giants for giving him an opportunity based off his past performance.

I said I thought Snee was our starter or he would retire. He has too much provide not to be a starter. This is where JR made one of his best signings in bringing in a proven starter in Jerry for dirt cheap. I understand that Mosley or Richberg have a good chance of starting but what Jerry provides a backup plan on a adequate NFL starting guard. I do think right now it’s Mosley’s job to lose. Jerry being out during the offseason and Snee sitting out really allowed Mosley to get some traction as the starter. I think he’s the player the coaches want to start because he’s young but has some experience. Also having Richberg, Jerry and Brown as backup OL players gives us very versatile backups.

5.  kujo says:

Adios, Snee. You were a perenial Pro-Bowler, a Super Bowl champion, a leader and a good citizens. You’re Big Blue family, and I am glad that you are doing the right thing–stepping aside when you clearly know that you can’t do it any longer.

Brewer or Herman or even a sleeper now have a legit chance to make the roster. Brewer has the upperhand but i think we need to find him a position a let him get comfortable. Brewer right now seems to be a jack of all positions except center but master of none. I think we need OT as our 9th OL player more than interior help. Brewer makes the most sense but he has to back it up with his play.

7.  kujo says:

As to the future, it’s between between Mosley, Jerry and Richburg. You gotta think the job is Mosley’s to lose. It’s possible that Schwartz moves over to his natural right guard position, giving Mosley and Jerry (if he’s healthy) the left spot. I hope they let Richburg focus on learning the center stuff so he’s ready late this season/early next. I know the whole “get the players on the field” mantra, but I really think Richburg was taken as our franchise center, and I don’t want anything to stunt that unless he’s clearly the best option at guard.

Great point, I forgot about that with Schwartz. I think he should definitely move to LG. It’s like with Jeter and Arod, Jeter only starter at shortstop because his history with the team but if Jeter had retired on been hurt Arod would have shifted back to his natural position.

I don’t worry about Richberg stunting his growth by playing guard. But I also agree he should only start at guard if he’s the best option because I don’t believe he has to get on the field to justify the pick.