Nickelodeon held their first ever Kids' Choice Sports Awards this past Thursday, which was hosted by retired New York Giants defensive end and Pro Football Hall of Famer, Michael Strahan. Among those who had been nominated for awards was wide receiver Victor Cruz, who was up for the "Party Like a Sports Star" award, which honors the best celebrations across the sports world.
Cruz ultimately took home the "Party Like a Sports Star" award over Cristiano Ronaldo despite some surprising boos from the crowd.
Meanwhile, Strahan stole the show as a first-time host, finding himself completely slimed at one point, but loving every minute of it.
"8,000 screaming kids — you gotta be kind of nuts to say yes to that," Strahan said before kicking off the show.
Not only was the first annual awards show considered a success on stage, but it was a tremendous success in terms of viewership as well. With 2.3MM total viewers, it actually beat out the ESPY awards in terms of total viewership, which had 2.2MM total viewers on Wednesday night.
Kids’ Choice Sports earned a 3.8/1.2 million with Kids 2-11, up +52% from last year. With kids 6-11, it posted a 5.2/1.0 MM, up +68%. Among tweens, it garnered a 4.2/848,000, up +83%. The show’s total viewer average of 2.3 MM represents a +37% increase over last year’s time period, as well.
Needless to say, there's absolutely no doubt that both the Kids' Choice Sports Award and Michael Strahan will return again next year.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Football, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Nominated for a Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Sports Award
- Victor Cruz Wants to Be a New York Giants Captain; Michael Strahan Tells Him It Must Be Earned
- V-Word Victor Cruz Happy with New York Giants, Ready to Take on Leadership Role
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1djy