Reiterating what many others have said in recent weeks, New York Giants co-owner John Mara confirmed on Thursday during an event for the East Rutherford YMCA that running back David Wilson (neck) is expected to be medically cleared in time for the start of training camp on Tuesday.
"We expect him to be playing this year, but that is going to depend on what the doctors tell us," Mara said on Thursday. "So far, all signs are that he's going to be ready to go."
Wilson, who last met with doctors on June 4th, will have a scheduled follow-up visit and CT Scan on Monday. If all truly goes well and he does get the thumbs up from physicians, he'll be on the field when contract drills begin later next week.
Even in the event Wilson is medically cleared, the Giants are likely to proceed with caution. Careers have been ended over similar injuries, and while Wilson insists he's never felt any pain in association with his neck, there's little chance the Giants immediately tune him up to 100. Rather, his road back will continue to be slow and methodical, but if everything checks out, he should play a part in Week 1 against the Detroit Lions.
Meanwhile, in addition to addressing Wilson's medical situation, Mara declined to offer any predictions for the 2014 season, calling himself an "idiot" as he recalled his bold predictions from a year ago.
"I was the same idiot who said last year it was the best team we’d had in years and look what happened," Mara said. "So, yeah. The fans do deserve better and we did our best in the offseason. It's not just a question of doing it on the field. We think we have the pieces in place, but until we start playing games it’s just hard to tell."
Mara was at the YMCA making a $250,000 donation in effort to build a family daycare center that will bear the "Mara" name.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: David Wilson, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Football, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants Remain Optimistic That David Wilson Will Be Medically Cleared for Training Camp
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Did not Receive News He Hoped for; not Yet Medically Cleared
- New York Giants Co-Owner John Mara Remembers Late Friend, Buffalo Bills Owner Ralph Wilson
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Expects to Be Cleared for OTA’s Next Month
- Jerry Reese Expecting David Wilson to Be Cleared for Training Camp; Couldn’t Pass on Andre Williams
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1di4