Happy Wednesday, New York Giants fans! We are now officially inside of a week until the start of training camp. As we continue to aid you in passing time, here are some mornig headlines to enjoy over your first cup of coffee.
And that’s about all that’s assured for the Giants as they get set for training camp. A massive offseason spending spree delivered an influx of talent, but Big Blue will still open camp on July 22 with several spots unsettled.
The offseason training program and last month’s minicamp answered a few questions, but issues still remain for the Giants. Several starting jobs should still be up for grabs early in camp.
“I’m not in Bushland, Texas, anymore,” Richburg said. “It’s been an extreme change since May. It’s a huge adjustment. But New York is a great place to be. It’s the media capital of the world and that’s awesome.
“It’s pretty cool at practice and you look up and see the Freedom Tower and Empire State Building.”
The family RV will be ready to go again this August. It will be gassed up not for a trip to the Poconos or the shore, but to drive northbound on the New Jersey Turnpike to Met Life Stadium. There will be one major difference this NFL preseason, though. The kicker they went to see last year played for the visiting team. This time around he will be playing for the home team.
North Penn graduate Brandon McManus, who had a record-breaking career as a kicker and punter during his four seasons with Temple, was in camp with the Indianapolis Colts last year. During an Aug. 18 preseason contest against the Giants he thrilled a cheering section of about a dozen family members and friends by making good on a 50-yard field goal attempt, his lone attempt of the preseason. He also drilled five kickoffs in the end zone that night, three for touchbacks.
“The Giants were definitely my leading option to sign with because I figured Indianapolis did not want to let Adam Vinatieri go,” McManus said last week from San Diego where he was attending a training camp run by former kicker John Carney, who spent 23 years in the NFL. “I am excited for the opportunity to compete with the Giants.”
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Brandon McManus, Eli Manning, Football, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz, Weston Richburg
- New York Giants Sunday Morning Storylines: Expect a Kicker Competition in Training Camp?
- New York Giants Wednesday Morning Storylines: Diontae Spencer Hopes to Be Next Victor Cruz
- New York Giants Wednesday Morning Storylines: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is Overrated?
- New York Giants Wednesday Morning Storylines: Big Blue Has Worst Quarterbacks in NFC East?
- New York Giants Wednesday Morning Storylines: Pre-Draft Starting Lineup Projections
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dfm