Happy Tuesday, New York Giants fans! We are now inside of one week until Big Blue reports to training camp and exactly a week from their first practice. To once again help you pass some time, here's a look at a few morning headlines to enjoy over your coffee.
These are franchises with much riding on this season. The extra week of camp and extra preseason game can help them determine if they are heading in the right direction.
The Giants also are at a crossroads. They have their two recent Super Bowls wins (2007, 2011), but they've missed the playoffs four of the past five years, including the past two. Tom Coughlin has been the right coach for this proud franchise, but missing the playoffs for three straight years could make ownership start thinking about the team's coaching future. I wouldn't say Coughlin is on the hot seat. The owners know how good he is as their franchise's leader; he probably has two years to turn it around.
Q: Here we are, new year, new opportunity. Besides being healthy and perhaps a little lighter, what do you think has been the biggest change for you that you feel will give you an edge in this competition?
A: I would say my maturity as a player and as a professional. Being on time, having extra meetings with coach throughout the offseason as they’ve been allowed by the CBA – I want to show Coach Coughlin and everyone that I’m serious and I want to win a job, so that would definitely be the biggest difference. I don’t feel like I’m looked at as a kid or a rookie anymore, so it’s time to step up.
There is some debate about who has the best defensive talent in the NFC East heading into this season. The Giants and Eagles each have some selling points.
After breaking it down position by position and adding up the points, Eliot had the Eagles with a slim edge over the Giants. Jordan had the Giants with a slim edge over the Eagles.
Really, more than anything, it's indicative of the lack of defensive talent on the Redskins and Cowboys. It was agreed upon that the Cowboys (minus DeMarcus Ware, Sean Lee and Jason Hatcher) were basically devoid of defensive talent … everywhere! The Redskins only had a few bright spots.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Tuesday Morning Storylines: Can Big Blue Regain Their Composure in 2014?
- New York Giants Tuesday Morning Storylines: Big Blue in Great Draft Position After Strong Free Agency
- New York Giants Tuesday Morning Storylines: Pressure Mounting on Big Blue to Turn It Around
- New York Giants Tuesday Morning Storylines: Big Blue Hopes Ryan Nassib Moves up Depth Chart
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ddx