Back in late May, NFL Network considered Arizona Cardinals tight end Rob Housler a possible trade piece due to being underutilized in Bruce Arians' offense — a system that doesn't quite fit with Housler's skill set. And while no trade was ever made, Housler's future in Arizona remains very much up in the air.
With four tight ends currently on their roster, the Cardinals will soon have to make a decision on who to keep and who to release. And even in the event they opt to carry four tight ends on their 53-man roster, ESPN's Josh Weinfuss isn't so sure Housler will make the cut.
I'd say it's likely the Cardinals will carry four tight ends on the 53-man roster, but will the fourth be Rob Housler? That all depends on how he plays during training camp. I think he's sitting at No. 4 right now behind John Carlson, Jake Ballard and rookie Troy Niklas. He's just not the type of tight end head coach Bruce Arians prefers. Arians may have inherited Housler, who's in the final year of his rookie contract, but that doesn't mean he has to keep him.
With an overwhelming amount of uncertainty surrounding their own tight ends, a player like Housler could become a serious option for the New York Giants if and when released. They were among the teams previously speculated to be a potential trade partner, so if Housler were to hit the free agent market, it would be surprising if the Giants didn't pounce.
Despite his sparing use, Housler set career highs in both receiving yards (454) and first downs (22) a season ago, and has seen his production increase each year since becoming a pro. And although he's more of a receiving threat than a blocking threat, he would provide the Giants an additional offensive weapon for quarterback Eli Manning and more game experience than any tight end currently on their roster.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Might Darren McFadden Be a Buy-Low Free Agent Option for New York Giants?
- Arizona Cardinals’ Rob Housler a Potential Trade Target for New York Giants?
- Jermichael Finley’s Agent Says He’d Like to Retire with Packers, but New York Giants an Option
- New York Giants Saturday Morning Storylines: Big Blue Works Out Free Agent QB Rusty Smith
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dda