Earlier this week, New York Giants cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was called "overrated" by Jordan Raanan of The Star-Ledger after a four-game film review. However, Bucky Brooks of NFL Network strongly disagrees and believes DRC is one of the league's Top 10 talents at cornerback, ranking him No. 7 overall.
7) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, New York Giants: Say what you will about Rodgers-Cromartie's enigmatic game, but there is no doubt he possesses the physical tools to be the top cover corner around. He is an athletic ballhawk capable of squatting on routes to produce critical turnovers, yet is also skilled enough to blanket receivers in tight man-to-man. When DRC is locked in and focused on playing at a high level, he enters the discussion as a potential top-five corner.
Brooks based his ranking system on "athleticism, technical skills, football IQ and competitive spirit to lock down receivers without assistance" — emphasis on the "without assistance" aspect of things.
DRC has continually been considered one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, but his issue has been mental consistency. He's truly capable of being as good as he wants to be, but has battled some football demons in recent years, even leading him to consider retirement at the end of last season.
Of course, he opted not to hang them up and eventually landed himself a long-term deal with the New York Giants.
Comparatively, the rest of NFL Network's Top 10 list went as follows:
- Richard Sherman (Seattle Seahawks)
- Patrick Peterson (Arizona Cardinals)
- Darrelle Revis (New England Patriots)
- Joe Haden (Cleveland Browns)
- Aqib Talib (Denver Broncos)
- Brent Grimes (Miami Dolphins)
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (New York Giants)
- Antonio Cromartie (Arizona Cardinals)
- Johnathan Joseph (Houston Texans)
- Vontae Davis (Indianapolis Colts)
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Denver Broncos CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Visit with New York Giants
- New York Giants, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Agree to 5-Year, $39 Million Deal
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Take Physical for New York Giants on Monday
- New York Giants’ Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: Signing with Big Blue was Never About the Money
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Visit Giants on Sunday After Leaving Jets Meeting Without Deal
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1d95