The situation between wide receiver Andre Johnson and the Houston Texans has finally reached the boiling point. On the heels of saying he "wasn't sure" if he'd play for the Texans in 2014, NFL Network is reporting that the seven-time Pro Bowler has now requested a trade.
"I haven't been public about anything," Johnson said of the rift in Houston. "I just choose not to talk publicly about it. It's in-house and that's the way I choose to keep it. I'm not a big media guy, so I refuse to talk about it."
The divide between Houston and their star wide receiver goes well beyond his desire for a $1 million workout bonus — a bonus that would have required at least 90% workout participation and full participation in their offseason workout program — and also hinges on his desire to play for contender. As it stands, he feels his championship window is closing and by the time the Texas complete their rebuilt, it may be too late for him.
Already there are four reported suitors for Johnson, all of whom are likely willing to sacrifice quite a bit in a trade that would acquire him and his $14.6 cap hit. However, the New York Giants do not currently appear to be one of them.
Not only is Big Blue short on the necessary cap space it would take to acquire Johnson, but if and when the Texans finally agree to deal him, the trade cost will undoubtedly be extensive.
In addition to the $14.6 million cap hit in 2014, Johnson would also bring a cap hit of $16.1 million in 2015 and a cap hit of $14.7 million in 2016. But, as General Manager Jerry Reese would say, "never say never." After all, the Giants do "investigate everything."
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- If Released by Tennessee Titans, Might Chris Johnson Also Enter the Fray for New York Giants?
- Former Titans RB Chris Johnson Dismisses Workout Report; not Visiting New York Giants
- New York Giants RB Andre Brown to Meet with Houston Texans on Monday
- Chris Johnson Plans to Meet with New York Giants: Report
- New York Giants Have Expressed Interest in Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1d0z