The endless career criticism of New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning has finally begun to take a toll — not on Manning himself, mind you. But rather, his teammates. And with that criticism now being kicked into high gear — something that has led us at Giants 101 to deem this offseason "The Year of Eli-Hating" — linebacker Mark Herzlich decided to speak up.
Having miraculously survived Ewing's Sarcoma, there are precious few things on this planet that Herzlich could not overcome. After all, he's an "again all odds" kind of guy. But while joining WEEI Radio earlier this week, Herzlich said he "couldn't imagine" dealing with the day-to-date hate, doubt and criticism that faces Eli Manning.
“I think that there are Eli lovers and Eli haters. There’s no one who's like, 'Yeah, Eli is pretty good, or whatever,' " Herzlich told WEEI Radio. "He does know when he has a bad game, and the problem is that every single person in New York and across the country knows he has a bad game, too, because they let him know. It's tough, and he’s very strong-minded to get over that stuff, but I couldn't imagine."
The one thing Herzlich believes Manning has going for him is that he's not tied into social media — namely Twitter, where vile and hate spread faster than Yogi Bear can steal picnic baskets.
"Some of the stuff that's on Twitter — he doesn't have Twitter, and I'm glad he's not on Twitter," Herzlich added.
Although Manning has never fed into the hate or doubt, even when it comes from Big Blue's own fans, it's impossible for him not to hear it. For his sake, it probably is a good thing he doesn't use Twitter and other social media outlets because, after all, that's where keyboard muscles are most often flexed. But the real question is, when you've proven twice you can top this league and everyone still unleashes their hate on you, what's left to do?
Our suggestion? Go win a third.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Re-Sign Restricted Free Agent Mark Herzlich
- New York Giants’ Mark Herzlich Wanted to Play “The Mountain” in Game of Thrones: Video
- New York Giants’ Zak DeOssie, Mark Herzlich Named to NFLPA Executive Committee
- New York Giants Tuesday Morning Storylines: Mark Herzlich Details His Long Road Back
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cv0