July 9th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

As they do prior to the start of every season, the experts at Over the Cap have begun to examine the best and worst contracts for each team league-wide. They wasted no time in breaking down the 2014 New York Giants, and right out of the gate, they found that newly signed cornerback Walter Thurmond III is, by far, the team's best contract.

Thurmond’s contract carries a base value of $3 million which is very reasonable for a player who could prove to be a solid number two cornerback. Because it is a one year contract and the player is hoping to hit it big in free agency the team knows they will get the best out of the player.

There is really no downside to this contract. It is low cost and low risk and fits the team situation perfectly. If things go as expected Thurmond will likely get a nice raise next season when he signs a multi year contract extension and the Giants will benefit from a low cost year for a starting player. It’ a win-win contract for both sides.

Thurmond signed with the Giants knowing he wasn't getting a top-tier deal, but felt like he could come into New York, man the slot corner position and prove on the world's grandest stage that he's an elite NFL cornerback. The hope, of course, being that he lands a lucrative, long-term deal — ideally, right here with Big Blue. And while that discussion is still a year away from taking place, both the Giants and Thurmond have put themselves in a good position here in 2013.

The same can not be said about offensive tackle Will Beatty, however.

A year removed from signing a five-year, $37.5 million contract, Beatty is a serious question mark for the Giants. Not only is he returning from a serious leg fracture, which occurred in Week 17 of last year, but he's also returning from what can only be described as an exceptionally poor season. In fact, even if he returns to health, the Giants have made it clear that while they'd like him to win back his starting job at left tackle, it's far from guaranteed.

In other words, Beatty has the potentially to be one of the most highly paid backups in the entire league.

Beatty became the standard bearer for the non-elite tier of tackles in the NFL, being given a $7.5 million a year contract with essentially $19 million in full guarantees. The Giants gave Beatty a great deal of job security through a large $12.5 million signing bonus. Among veteran left tackles on long term deals, the percentage of contract guaranteed is first in the NFL and the full guarantee trails only Duane Brown and Branden Albert. Albert was signed a year after Beatty.

Even if you were to ignore the massive signing bonus Beatty received, the veteran offensive lineman has one of the worst structured contracts in the entire league.

Arguably the only comparable player with a worse structured contract is Sam Baker’s in Atlanta. If Beatty fails this year the Giants will take on over $8 million in cap charges if they release him in 2015. He also has a $650,000 guarantee so the Giants would need to pay him a token amount to go away. If that happens the Giants will have paid $19 million for a two year contract, which is a very high figure. They need him to last at least three seasons to justify the contract and based on what we have seen that may not be that easy.

The one potential luxury the Giants have with Beatty is that he doesn't lack talent. After all, they gave him a massive contract because they felt he earned it. And despite a poor 2013 campaign, Beatty could return to his pre-2013 self and no longer would his contract be considered the "worst." On the other hand, he could continue to go downhill and have his contract remembered as one of the worst the Giants have handed out over the last decade.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Walter Thurmond, Will Beatty

3 Responses to “2014 New York Giants: Walter Thurmond III Has Best Contract, Will Beatty Has Worst Contract”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    July 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    That 5 sleepers to watch piece was actually really good.

1) Mosley
    2) Kinnard
    3) Bowman
    4) Kuhn
    5) Donnell

These are players maybe except for Kinnard we don’t talk about with much excitement but they all can be key players and maybe even starters in some cases.

Mosley – If Snee is going to struggle with his healthy has as good as chance as any to start. I really see it as him or Jerry though Richburg can’t be counted out.

Kinnard – Really could have as much impact as any rookie. If Beason misses a game or 2 and allows Kinnard to start from game one he may never give up his spot. Kinnard can also contribute as a pass rusher on 3rd downs.

Bowman – Is a player I like a lot. I said weeks ago that he’s been a better player than Mcbribe his hole career except for last year. This is a high level probowl guy who’s pretty good at CB too. I think he’s our #4 CB and McBribe if he can’t get out of the tub might not make this team. I could see us making a minor trade like McBride for a #4/5 WR.

Kuhn – is a player I havent thought highly of but reading the coaches thoughts they do. He was mentioned right long side Hankins in praise. He offers experience inwhich I feel we need with age and youth among our top 3 DTs. I know everyone is high on Quarles to knock him off the roster but I’m beating on Kuhn.

Donnell – is an underrated talent. Watching him during last preseason he looked more athletic than an over weight Robinson. Everyone knows I’m high on Robinson but I think Donnell has starting level upside as well. Donnell did look lost at times running routes and catching the ball. But there’s a reason we kept him on the 53 even before Robinson got hurt.

Dan BentonDan Benton says:
    July 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    My only issue with the article is, if the guys are constantly being talked about and discussed, as many of them have been, are they really sleepers?

I have a sleepers article coming up next week that dives a little deeper into the depth chart.

fanfor55years says:
    July 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    My favorite “sleepers” are Berhe, Hosley and Fells (although the last should not really count as a sleeper, I think most Giants fans don’t even know he’s on the team).

fanfor55years says:
    July 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    Some good points here.

I’m hopeful about Kinnard but think it’s way too early to tell much about him.

I agree about Bowman, but my concern is that if he returns to form it could result in Hosley never coming back and James never being given a chance rather than McBride being cut. I like both of those youngsters and would like to see them get a chance to shine.

I liked Kuhn in 2012 when he played, and especially again last season when he got snaps after returning from the injury. I think many are STILL vastly underrating both he and Patterson and will see that we have some real talent at the DT position with Bromley and Quarles having a real struggle to make the final roster.

I just cannot get a read on Donnell. He certainly LOOKS like the prototypical Giants tight end. But in McAdoo’s offense does he have the hands and speed to execute as the coordinator needs his tight end to do? I think at least one of the veterans we picked up is going to be high on the depth chart. If Robinson comes in leaner and more mature I cannot see them allowing him to walk. So I suspect Donnell will have to first fight for a job. You have to make the roster to have an impact. He’s no lock to do so.

Dan I do think the article went pretty deep as far as sleepers because all of these guys could start. There’s sleepers in terms of making the team and contributing that can definitely go deeper. But I guess I have seen to many Robinson, Randle, Hankins, Moore and Jennings articles as sleepers.

I don’t think you keep McBride over Hosley or James. Hosley we have the buffer of the suspension list. But James I thought should have been on the team last year. The end of the roster at CB should been young kids with upside. I think keeping both Bowman and McBride given our top 3 CBs if over doing it vet wise. I keep the top 3 CBs, Bowman, James and Jackson. Then I move Jackson to PS when Hosley returns. I think Hosley is way better than some have given him credit for and he still has another year after this on his rookie deal. Thurman is only signed for one year. Hosley can easily be our slot starter next year.

Donnell is not a lock but I think he’s in good shape. I just don’t see the point of keeping Davis and Fellas, a similar player can be found on the street if really needed. I think of the TEs will be young guys with the rookie liekly going PS but he has a chance to beat out Donnell. It’s just that Donnell and Robinson are the only TEs that really have any vertical ability in their games. I do think if we go without a traditional FB we could keep 4 TEs like last year.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

James is one of my sleepers, but Hosley needs a huge camp/preseason in order to keep his job. He really, really hurt himself with that suspension.