Although the New York Giants appear to have a packed house at the running back position, they were one of nine teams on hand to watch SMU running back Traylon Shead during his Pro Day on July 2nd, reports The Star-Ledger.
The 6'2'', 225 lbs. Shead, who was the 16th-ranked running back recruit coming out of High School, originally committed to Texas but eventually landed with SMU following Junior College. He decided to forego his senior season and officially declared for the NFL Supplemental Draft back in January.
Shead was expected to lead the way for SMU in 2013, but after suffering injuries against Texas Tech in the opening game of the season, and then later against Temple, he finished the year with only 197 yards on 51 carries (3.9 ypc) and one touchdown. He also hauled in six receptions for 26 yards.
In addition to the Giants, the Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, Detroit Lions, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins and Chicago Bears also attended his workout. Some reports would also seem to suggest there was a 10th team in attendance, but that has not been confirmed.
Any team that makes a pick in the NFL Supplemental Draft forfeits that same selection in the 2015 NFL Draft. A year ago, no players were selected in the Supplemental Draft, while the Cleveland Browns selected wide receiver Josh Gordon (second-round) in 2012, with the Oakland Raiders selecting quarterback Terrelle Pryor (third-round) in 2011.
The last time the Giants made a selection in the NFL Supplemental Draft was in 1994 when they selected defensive back Tito Wooten (fourth-round). Previous to that, they selected quarterback Dave Brown (first-round) in 1992.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Keeping an Eye on Virginia University of Lynchburg CB Keith Lewis
- Jerry Reese: New York Giants “Not Afraid” to Draft Another QB in 2014 NFL Draft — Even at No. 12
- Giants’ Will Beatty ‘Ahead of Schedule’ from Broken Leg; Unsure of Timetable on Return
- New York Giants Monday Morning Storylines: Many Changes Ahead for Eli Manning
- Hakeem Nicks Has ‘Close to Zero Chance’ of Returning to New York Giants in 2014 Season: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ctz