The Cleveland Brown seem relatively indifferent toward their quarterback, Johnny Manziel, and his seemingly immature, care-free actions. But New York Giants co-owner Steve Tisch said that would be a different story in The Big Apple, and that they would be legitimately concerned with Manziel and the potential harm he could cause himself and the team.
"I would be concerned, but I think if you look at the culture and history of the Giants, he really doesn't fit the profile historically of New York Giant football players," Tisch told TMZ Sports. "We have a fantastic quarterback, who I hope has another amazing season. I wish Manziel all the best."
In other words, Manziel is too much of a loose cannon and entirely too unpredictable for the Giants. And although they have had some questionable characters in their past — namely Lawrence Taylor — the team generally tries to steer clear of players with character concerns.
That being said, reports leading up to the 2014 NFL Draft indicated that General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. would consider drafting Manziel if he was available to them, although they ultimately opted to go with LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. in Round 1.
As to not cause too much controversy, Tisch gave Manziel the benefit of the doubt, saying the youngster should be able to put everything together and do what it takes to help the Cleveland Browns in 2014.
"I think he knows what he has to do to stay on the team, to work with his teammates, to be a part of a very functional and productive locker room and a lot's going to come out once training camp starts," Tisch added.
If early indications offer us a glimpse into the future, Manziel's fame is likely to be short-lived. He just doesn't seem like someone taking his career very seriously and it's hard to argue with Tisch's stance.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Co-Owner Steve Tisch: 2014 Will Be Drastically Different than 2013
- Should Johnny Manziel Fall to No. 12, New York Giants Would Strongly Consider Him: Report
- Magic Johnson Thanks Steve Tisch, New York Giants Organization for Support
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cu5