What Ben McAdoo has in store for the new-look New York Giants offense is still a bit of a mystery as, to this point, we've only heard little bits and pieces, with only but a small glimpse of things during the offseason workout program. And while much of the attention has focused on the running game and new route trees for the wide receivers, it may be the tight end's that wind up being the most important piece to the puzzle.
Following the conclusion of mandatory mini-camp, Larry Donnell offered, perhaps, the most unique insight into the new system to date and blatantly stated that the tight ends will not only play a big role in the passing game, but may, ultimately, be featured in it.
"The role of the tight end is to get the ball. I mean, we're a big part of this offense," Donnell told Giants.com. "It's not like we're option No. 3 or option No. 2, we're option No. 1 most of the time. We have a lot of designed plays [for the tight end] to get the ball and make plays."
Not only did Donnell suggest that tight end's will be a top option, he also said — as did Daniel Fells — that they will move around quite a bit, including being put in the slot.
"The tight end moves around a lot and have a lot of opportunities to get the ball," Donnell said. "That's all you can ask for."
Of course, with endless question marks surrounding the group and an overall uncertainty about who will emerge as the starter, the Giants still have a long way to go before they can so heavily rely on one of them. So if the tight end is truly a focal point in McAdoo's offensive system, the training camp battle at the position just became that much more important and interesting.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin: Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell Have Inside Track at Tight End
- New York Giants’ Larry Donnell Treated for Dehydration, Released from Hospital
- New York Giants’ Ben McAdoo Looking for a Tight End to Play at a “High Level”
- New York Giants “No Longer in Play” for Tight End Jermichael Finley: Report
- New York Giants’ New-Look Offense not Entirely West Coast; Ben McAdoo Will Calls Plays
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cq6