18 months removed from his ACL and PCL surgery, New York Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham remains on the sideline. He missed the entirety of the team's offseason workout program, but following the conclusion of mandatory mini-camp, Super Mario revealed that his placement on the stationary bike had little to do with the original ACL surgery, but rather, a scope he had on the same knee back in January.
But not only has Manningham maintained a general lack of concern over missing time, but also recently vowed to return in time for the start of training camp in late July.
"I went and got scoped in January so that’s what I’m rehabbing," Manningham said of why he didn't practice during the offseason workout program. "I’m going to be alright when camp starts, just trying to build the confidence back. Every day and every week it gets better."
The reason for the setback and subsequent scope, Manningham said earlier this offseason, was that he returned too quickly with the San Francisco 49ers. And after appearing in only six games last season, he once again found himself firmly planted on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR).
"I came back [too] fast," Manningham told The Star-Ledger in early June. "What player doesn't want to get back out there and test their leg or elbow or whatever? It wasn't any pressure [by the 49ers]. I just wanted to go out and play.
"I'm not going to look back at that. The decision was made for me to come back, so I came back. I'm just going to deal with what is going on."
Come July 21st, when players arrive for their pre-training camp physicals, Manningham will be six months removed from his January scope and some 19 months removed from the original ACL/PCL surgery. And so long as he receives a clean bill of health, the veteran receiver should be able to jump right back into the thick of things and, hopefully, become a productive member of Ben McAdoo's brand new offense.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Hopeful WR Mario Manningham Will Return by Training Camp
- New York Giants’ John Jerry Undergoes Knee Surgery; Mario Manningham, Will Beatty Out Until Fall
- New York Giants Saturday Morning Storylines: Mario Manningham Returns Feeling Tested
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ckm