As the NFL slowly treks forward towards the start of training camp, Pete Prisco of CBS Sports recently decided to take a look at who he feels are the most overrated and underrated players league-wide and on a team-by-teams basis entering 2014.
Overrated: DE Mathias Kiwanuka – He had seven sacks, but he had far too many games where he didn't do enough. He's a former first-round pick who should be putting up better numbers.
To Kiwanuka's credit, he's been routinely moved from defensive end to linebacker and back again. His career has seen very little solidarity and 2014 promises to be no different. Already in Organized Team Activities (OTAs) and mini-camp, Kiwi has shuffled from end to linebacker to stand-up pass rusher. Perhaps more importantly, Kiwanuka isn't receiving overrated pay, having been forced into a pay cut earlier this offseason — something he admittedly didn't appreciate.
Ironically, Prisco's "most underrated" Giant is one many fans would deem to be the most overrated. That, of course, being cornerback Prince Amukamara.
Underrated: CB Prince Amukamara – He was one of the few bright spots in a disappointing season for the Giants. Now he has to show he can do it again.
The perception of Amukamara varies from person to person, and he's often overlooked due to his unique personality. However, on the field he's been solid and, contrary to popular belief, played well in 2013. The knock on Prince is that he hasn't morphed into the top-end, shutdown cornerback many expected when selected in the first-round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
Starting opposite Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie this season, it will be interesting to see how Prince evolves and adapts. There's a strong chance the extra motivation helps him put all of the pieces together.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Mathias Kiwanuka “Very Angry and Very Upset” with New York Giants Over Forced Pay Cut
- Prince Amukamara “Relieved” That New York Giants Picked up His Fifth-Year Option
- Prince Amukamara Admits He’d Be Insulted If New York Giants Don’t Pick up 2015 Option
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cil