NBA superstar LeBron James has never made it a secret that he loves the game of football and, ideally, would like to step foot on the field someday. In fact, James bluntly stated in 2013 that he's serious about playing in the NFL sometime "before it's over" and has taken his fair share of warmup tosses prior to Dallas Cowboys games (he is a noted fan of Jerry Jones & Co.).
However, the notion of dual sports stars has gone the way of the Dodo Bird in recent years, with high-priced athletes and owners unwilling to budge on multiple-sports careers. Accordingly, long gone are the days of Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan and Deion Sanders. But, if you were to poll other NFL athletes, you'd be hard-pressed to find one who thinks James, a superior athlete, couldn't make the transition.
"I think it would take him probably about a good two weeks to get very acquainted with football, knowing what he's supposed to do," Cowboys WR Dez Bryant once said. "I think that's all he'd need with his physical ability. I've seen a little bit of his highlights from high school. He's got the hands, he can run the routes, he's fast enough. He could play in this league if he put it all together."
You can now add New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz to the growing list of Lebron supporters, who during a spontaneous Q&A on Wednesday, said James could easily make a "great" NFL wide receiver if he made the jump from basketball to football.
Victor Cruz (@TeamVic) June 25, 2014
Since opting out of his contract with the Miami Heat, James has been soundly "recruited" by pretty much anyone and everyone, ranging from the Carolina Hurricanes of the NHL to Team USA soccer. And although he's destined to return to the NBA, the idea of James someday playing in the NFL is not entirely far-fetched. It may happen sometime "before it's over."
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Likely to Target Wide Receiver James Jones?
- Miami Heat, LeBron James Being Destroyed in NBA Finals a Good Omen for New York Giants?
- Do the New York Giants ‘Need’ to Add Another Wide Receiver?
- With a Need at Wide Receiver, Might Some Former New York Giants Find Their Way Back to the Team?
- New York Giants Will Meet with Wide Receiver Jacoby Jones on Wednesday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cfr