A season ago, Walter Thurmond III was a fixture in the vaunted Seattle Seahawks secondary, which became commonly known as the "Legion of Boom" en route to a Super Bowl title. But despite their immense success, Thurmond, now a member of the New York Giants, says the complexities pale in comparison to what the Perry Fewell-coached Big Blue defense brings to the table.
"I'm learning a little more stuff than we did in Seattle. We were very simple," said Thurmond. "Here, we're mixing coverages and having exotic defenses. I like it, because it gives me a lot more freedom."
Despite the intricacies, Thurmond says he's felt comfortable with his teammates and the defense from Day One, adding that the welcoming nature of the franchise drastically helped with his adjustment.
"I'm getting more comfortable, but I've felt comfortable since Day One," Thurmond III told The Oregonian. "There's a great group of guys in this room and they've been very welcoming. It was an easy transition."
Although he's only slated to play at slot corner, with Prince Amukamara and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie manning the outside, Thurmond still aims to become the most dominant cornerback in the league and believes the Giants' defense may offer him that exact opportunity.
"I still have a lot to prove," Thurmond said. "I want to be an elite cornerback in this league and I'm looking forward to that challenge."
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Walter Thurmond Thinks Giants Secondary Can Be Better than Seattle Seahawks’ ‘Legion of Boom’
- New York Giants Agree to Terms with Former Seattle Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond
- Philadelphia Eagles’ Brandon Boykin Continues Trash Talking: “Who is Walter Thurmond?”
- New York Giants’ Walter Thurmond III: “I’m Ready to Lead by Example”
- Walter Thurmond “Couldn’t Resist” Signing with New York Giants After Meeting with Team
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cei