Retired New York Giants tight end Gary Shirk is among three former All-Ohio Valley Conference student-athletes who will be inducted into the Morehead State Athletics Hall of Fame this Fall, joining men's basketball all-time leading scorer Ricky Minard and men's basketball career assist leader Marquis Sykes as the others.
"The Athletic Hall of Fame is the ultimate individual accolade our department can award," Director of Athletics Brian Hutchinson said. "It's my pleasure to welcome these outstanding individuals to that list. Ricky, Marquis and Gary are three of the most decorated athletes in MSU history. We are excited to induct them into our Hall of Fame."
Shirk, a First-Team All-OVC choice in 1972, caught 96 passes for 1,236 yards and five touchdowns in his Morehead State career, twice leading the team in receptions (1970 and 1972).
Following the conclusion of his college career, Shirk played seven seasons with the New York Giants (1976-1982), hauling in 130 receptions for 1,640 yards and 11 touchdowns — most coming courtesy of another Morehead State Athletics Hall of Fame member, Phil Simms.
Shirk was also inducted into the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2010.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Retired New York Giants OL David Diehl to Be Inducted into Chicagoland Sports Hall of Fame
- Ex-Giant Osi Umenyiora Inducted into Troy University’s Sports Hall of Fame
- Retired Giants DE Michael Strahan not Stressing Over Hall of Fame; “Hopes” to Get in This Year
- Retired Giants DE Michael Strahan Wants Hall of Fame Bust to Display His Gap-Toothed Smile
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cep