June 24th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

July 21st remains the key date for New York Giants running back David Wilson. That's when he'll undergo additional tests on his neck to determine whether or not he'll be medically cleared to return to football. And while he has absolutely no desire to continue talking about it, General Manager Jerry Reese isn't as reserved, stating on Monday that all systems appear to be a go for the young back.

"We do think all systems are go pretty much for him to be healthy and ready for contact during training camp," Reese said during a WFAN interview on Monday. "Unless he has a setback we expect to release him for full contact during the fall. Any time he touches the ball he can go the distance. In this West Coast Offense, we'll try to get the ball to him in different ways and obviously he'll help in the return game."

Despite the optimism surrounding Wilson and his health, Reese knew that finding an alternative was a key this offseason — which is why the team signed Rashad Jennings, whom they view as a full-time, well-rounded back.

"We brought in Rashad Jennings and he's definitely a bell cow type of a running back," Reese said. "David Wilson is an explosive player, but first and foremost we're concerned about his health."

Even in the event Wilson is medically cleared, the Giants are likely to proceed with caution. Careers have been ended over similar injuries, and while Wilson insists he's never felt any pain in association with his neck, there's little chance the Giants immediately tune him up to 100. Rather, his road back will continue to be slow and methodical, but if everything checks out, he should play a part in Week 1 against the Detroit Lions.

Tags: David Wilson, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rashad Jennings

4 Responses to “New York Giants Remain Optimistic That David Wilson Will Be Medically Cleared for Training Camp”

1.  GFansince Ninteen Forty Eight says:

Sounds as if they might want Wilson to be primarily a receiver out of the backfield – with a few runs to keep the defense honest.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    June 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    I think the headline is misleading. JR is always saying he’s always seeking upgrades and every position. I think judging by the reports so far the TEs as a group have looked better than expected. It’s clear Robinson and Donnell have legit talent but haven’t proved anything on a level that will make most feel comfortable. I full expect this to be the surprise unit on the team. And I think with the multiple ways that offense wants to use our TEs it’s really an edge for Robinson and Donnell over the others because of their athleticism.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we kept no FBs or another TE instead of a FB. FBs are a dying bread for a reason in the NFL. In this offense if you need a FB in seems that guys like Hollis or Gatkins make more sense than our traditional FBs. If we do need a real lead blocker on short yardage a TE can be used. Plus I don’t see the value of Conner or Hynoski on special teams. It seems that we would be keeping a FB for just a couple of snaps a game which doesn’t make sense to me. Both guys are quality FBs but they just don’t fit this type of offense in my view because it seems we just won’t line up with a FB in a traditional set much at all. Much less than under the Gillbride system.

skinnydoogan says:
    June 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    GOAT as much as I respect your opinion, we will have to agree to disagree. This group in it’s entirety, has done nothing, and I seriously doubt that any of them will. This is the single greatest weakness of this team at this time, behind the revamped O-line. This position has been allowed to atrophy as did the O-line and the linebackers for years. The current crew of underwhelming players is solid proof. I really hope I am wrong and you are right, but until proven otherwise, this group of TE’s is pretty underwhelming.

skinnydoogan says:
    June 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    Now I stated my opinion, right wrong or indifferent, now I will shut my mouth and wait to be proven wrong particularly by the “JPP” of tight ends.

I never said this group of TE has done anything. My disagreement is that they will. But there’s no facts behind this. But this is the NFL were players regular come out of nowhere and allpros become nobodies within a single season.

The most important thing right now is that Robinson is listed as the #1 TE. We all know this team doesn’t do stuff for show or give jobs to young players. So that at least means from what’s been done so far he’s thought to be the best option. We will see what happens in training camp and preseason.

3.  rlhjr says:

It would be wise to keep a fullback on the roster. Especially if they want to protect the passer as well as protect against the ball becoming frail and soft west coast BS. The key is balance and versatility.