July 21st remains the key date for New York Giants running back David Wilson. That's when he'll undergo additional tests on his neck to determine whether or not he'll be medically cleared to return to football. And while he has absolutely no desire to continue talking about it, General Manager Jerry Reese isn't as reserved, stating on Monday that all systems appear to be a go for the young back.
"We do think all systems are go pretty much for him to be healthy and ready for contact during training camp," Reese said during a WFAN interview on Monday. "Unless he has a setback we expect to release him for full contact during the fall. Any time he touches the ball he can go the distance. In this West Coast Offense, we'll try to get the ball to him in different ways and obviously he'll help in the return game."
Despite the optimism surrounding Wilson and his health, Reese knew that finding an alternative was a key this offseason — which is why the team signed Rashad Jennings, whom they view as a full-time, well-rounded back.
Even in the event Wilson is medically cleared, the Giants are likely to proceed with caution. Careers have been ended over similar injuries, and while Wilson insists he's never felt any pain in association with his neck, there's little chance the Giants immediately tune him up to 100. Rather, his road back will continue to be slow and methodical, but if everything checks out, he should play a part in Week 1 against the Detroit Lions.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Jerry Reese Expecting David Wilson to Be Cleared for Training Camp; Couldn’t Pass on Andre Williams
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Did not Receive News He Hoped for; not Yet Medically Cleared
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Expects to Be Cleared for OTA’s Next Month
- Jermichael Finley Could Still Be an Option for New York Giants Once Medically Cleared
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cd0