The New York Giants may have added a plethora of players capable of returning both kicks and punts this offseason, but once the regular season officially begins, there's a legitimate chance that absolutely none of them will be task with that duty. Rather, rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. may start the season returning both kicks and punts for Big Blue, says Special Teams Coordinator Tom Quinn.
"He explosive; he's got legitimate speed. He rungs pretty strong for his size," Quinn said. "Yeah, you wanna have depth, [so] we're prepping him to do both."
Beckham Jr. has been a regular participant in both kick return and punt return drills from the start of Organized Team Activities (OTAs) straight through mandatory mini-camp, which officially ended on Thursday. And even during the days in which he was sidelined from team drills as a result of a lingering hamstring issue, Beckham Jr. was always with a small group of his teammates fielding punts and kicks at the onset of each practice.
In addition to Beckham Jr., other obvious suspects such as David Wilson, Quintin Demps, Trindon Holliday, Jerrel Jernigan and even Victor Cruz practiced returning both kicks and punts, but it remains clear that the Giants have not yet made a decision on who will do either.
Meanwhile, Quinn also alluded to another somewhat unexpected training camp competition, implying that kicker Brandon McManus has had an impressive Spring and will "absolutely" get a legitimate chance to win the starting job over veteran Josh Brown in training camp.
So, along with the many other intriguing training camp battles to keep an eye on, jobs at both kick/punt returner and kicker will also be decided by training camp/preseason performances.
Essentially, every single job with the exception of starting quarterback will be up for grabs.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.
- Odell Beckham Jr. not Likely to Make Major Impact for New York Giants in 2014, Says Marc Sessler
- New York Giants not Rushing Odell Beckham Jr. Back Following Hamstring Issue
- Odell Beckham Jr. Looking to Be Greatest Ever, Have Jerry Rice Career-Type Impact for Giants
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c7v