Odell Beckham Jr. May Return Kicks, Punts for New York Giants in 2014

June 19th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

The New York Giants may have added a plethora of players capable of returning both kicks and punts this offseason, but once the regular season officially begins, there's a legitimate chance that absolutely none of them will be task with that duty. Rather, rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. may start the season returning both kicks and punts for Big Blue, says Special Teams Coordinator Tom Quinn.

"He explosive; he's got legitimate speed. He rungs pretty strong for his size," Quinn said. "Yeah, you wanna have depth, [so] we're prepping him to do both."

Beckham Jr. has been a regular participant in both kick return and punt return drills from the start of Organized Team Activities (OTAs) straight through mandatory mini-camp, which officially ended on Thursday. And even during the days in which he was sidelined from team drills as a result of a lingering hamstring issue, Beckham Jr. was always with a small group of his teammates fielding punts and kicks at the onset of each practice.

In addition to Beckham Jr., other obvious suspects such as David Wilson, Quintin Demps, Trindon Holliday, Jerrel Jernigan and even Victor Cruz practiced returning both kicks and punts, but it remains clear that the Giants have not yet made a decision on who will do either.

Meanwhile, Quinn also alluded to another somewhat unexpected training camp competition, implying that kicker Brandon McManus has had an impressive Spring and will "absolutely" get a legitimate chance to win the starting job over veteran Josh Brown in training camp.

So, along with the many other intriguing training camp battles to keep an eye on, jobs at both kick/punt returner and kicker will also be decided by training camp/preseason performances.

Essentially, every single job with the exception of starting quarterback will be up for grabs.

Tags: Brandon McManus, David Wilson, Football, Josh Brown, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Quintin Demps, Tom Quinn, Trindon Holliday, Victor Cruz

7 Responses to “Odell Beckham Jr. May Return Kicks, Punts for New York Giants in 2014”

That would be pretty stupid.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Why? Look what it did for Philly with Djax?

If anything, i’d put Wilson or Trindon Holliday back there.

•  ERICHONIUS says:

Wilson hasn’t even been cleared for contact after his neck surgery and you are already talking about him returning kicks? With this team’s injury luck we shouldn’t let any high-round draft picks return kicks.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    June 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    I take the “honor” of being the most optimistic regular poster I don’t think that’s true. I think this should be 10-6 type team. I say that in large part because of our division. By no means do I think we have all the answers but neither do our rivals. I think other than the AFC south we probably play in the weakest NFL division.

Philly – I think they have a top OL and RBs with two nice options at TE. But nearly everywhere I have real questions about them. Foles IMO will suffer the Cam and RG3 fate of coming back to earth after an unreal year. The loss of DJax I think has been understated by some. They have a bunch of #2s and #3s at WR but no #1 WR. Their defense played better at the end of the year but talent wise it still looks average at best. Cole is their best player but much like Tuck has seen better days. Jenkins is a good safety. Kenricks a good LB and their DE first rounder from a few years ago is a good player. But I just don’t see a unit that’s going to consistently stop the offenses in this division because their pass rush and CB play.

Dallas has a quality offense in mist respects. Morry has durability issues. Witten is getting old but I like their young TE. Their OL is very good. Dez is great and the 2nd year WR is good but I don’t see much else at WR. Dallas is an offense if they stay healthy will be very good but they are thin. Their defense front 7 is horrible. The secondary has some names but it sucked too last year. Their defense looks like the worst in the NFL right now.

Washington assuming RG3 plays pretty well has the best offense in the division. Like us their OL is the question but they have depth at WR and RB. And their TE could be an emerging star. The questions I have about Washington are on defense. They have struggling the last few seasons except for the second half of 2012 on defense yet have kept the same DC and most of the same players. Hatcher could help but he’s 32 normally redskin signings like his don’t work. Any secondary lead by Hall isn’t good, they need the guys they drafted last year to step up if they want to really improve on defense.

Right now I see the division as:

NYG
    Was
    Phi
    Dal

With us, Washington and Philly fairly even and Dallas clearly in the rear. Last year I thought the same about Philly so I clearly could be wrong. I did feel a similar way about Washington last year that I do about Philly this year. I just don’t trust Foles, I don’t think he’s not as good as the other QBs in the division even though he was great last year. His 2013 year was Stevie Brown 2012 ish to me.

BigBlueGiant says:
    June 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    according to NFL.com Analyst, Foles and RG3 are the best QB’s in the NFC east.

I actually think Foles is a good QB. but Eli is the best.

Krow says:
    June 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    RG3 is a bust.

I think with both Foles and RG3 is hard to judge because they are so young in their careers. I don’t see RG3 as a bust, let’s not forget he was great as a rookie. He didn’t have an offseason last year and didn’t have Djax. That all helps. Foles just has one year which is almost impossible to judge.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

while True, you can tell Talent and judge a player when you watch him play. Foles played pretty good last year, he’s a good QB.

3.  rlhjr says:

If the Giant defensive line comes to play this season along with recovery of Beason, the team should have a pretty good year. However, JPP and Moore are big question marks that have to resolve themselves favorably. Not to mention Hankins.
    JPP is backtracking on his state of recovery and readiness.

If Beason undergoes a reasonable recovery and is not severely hobbled by his foot injury the linebacking unit is average to slightly above. Which is a night and day difference from the below average to not NFL caliber seen the last two years or so.
    But again, it’s all IF’S.