June 19th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is tired of hearing about the player he used to be and admits his goal for 2014 is to "shut up" his many loud critics — critics that have actually started to get into his head.

"I got something to prove this year, and I'm going to shut a whole bunch of people up," JPP said. "I want to shut them up, you know what I'm saying? It's not even going to be new to me I'm confident in the way I play my game, you know what I'm saying? When I'm at the top of my game, it's ridiculous. Everyone has seen me there before."

His determination aside, Pierre-Paul still has other obstacles to overcome before he can start proving anyone wrong. And one of those primary obstacles is health — something JPP acknowledges he does not yet fully have as he continues to deal with lingering issues from a back surgery that occurred over a year ago.

"Back surgery, you couldn't expect me to come in and do what I did in [2011]," he said. "I still feel a little something, but at the end of the day, it's nothing that is going to bother me while I'm playing. Now, I'm flying to the ball."

Pierre-Paul added that he's slimmed down to 275 lbs. and that has not only taken some of the pressure off of his back, but also helped return some of his quickness. However, even if the now-veteran defensive end does return to 100% by the time the regular season begins, no longer does he have the luxury of Osi Umenyiora or Justin Tuck lining up across from him. Rather, he'll be the No. 1 man in 2014 and likely to receive a lot of double-teams. So if JPP wishes to return to the JPP of old, he's going to have to overcome a lot more than lingering back problems.

“I know what I bring to the table,” he said. “I know what I can do when I’m fully healthy. It’s gonna be crazy. I’m looking forward to it.”

Cue Giants fans who will say: "we've heard all of this before."

Now is the time for JPP to stop preaching it and start showing it.

Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

6 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul Says He’s not Yet 100%, but Ready to “Shut up” His Critics”

Repost:

Krow says:
    June 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    One of the areas where improvement would have the most effect is at TE. Since we were historically poor at that position last year the room for improvement is a gap so large you could roll Antonio Pierce through it. And in our new offense the TE plays a significantly larger role.

skinnydoogan says:
    June 19, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    This improvement you speak of is incumbent upon having actual tight ends on the team. Not sure who they are at this point. Yes GOAT Adrian Robinson is athletic, but until there is actual tangible evidence that he can play, heck, even get on the field, he does not count.

Look there was less tangible evidence Ballard could play or any number of players that have contributed to us winning over the years. It’s not just that he’s athletic it’s he’s had to years to adjust to the NFL. Not everyone is ready to contribute right away in the NFL. Why believe some rookie can play in the NFL either by those standards? The NFL is a different beast than college. Robinson getting first team snaps and performing well by must accounts means something. It’s still not training camp, preseason or the regular season yet but just like ODB (besides the injury) he’s off to a good start.

GIANTT … “Frank” is a legendary poster who inhabited G101 in the olden days. He was a bitter, grizzled fan who lived through the dark era. But it twisted him into a beacon of negativity. Think GOAT, only the opposite. He would post endlessly about how cheap the Maras were … how incompetent the team management was … and how they were just interested in making money. No player was any good. No intention was honorable. He took an amazing amount of personal abuse for his opinions, but he more than held his own … till we won that improbable Superbowl. After that his resolve weakened and he disappeared, unable to process the disconnection between his views and the reality of the Giants being NFL champions. Now he lives on merely in the memory of us old timers.

One of his persistent memes was that the Maras had gone Hollywood. That they sold half the team to Tisch to gain an inroad to that upscale crowd. Part of this myth was that the Mara girls … Kate and Rooney … were party animals who lived on a diet of booze and coke while they fk’ed their way to cinema stardom. All financed by money we could have spent on free agents …well, if we cared about winning … which we didn’t. It was great theatre. And similar to Sigmund Freud and psychoanalysis … it explained everything … and therefore explained nothing. But that mattered not.

Much of the fun was watching people’s heads explode when he posted. The rage was epic … the replies a lesson in fulmination. Yeah, good times … good times.

That was Frank … and we’ll not see his like again.

•  GIANTT says:

Krow , Thanks for reminding us of your particular take on those “good” times
      Yes , Im sure there were a few posters who disappeared after they were proven so drastically wrong after the Super Bowl wins . I can imagine that an Old timer like Frank who had been proven right for so many years through the 70s and 80s , found it particularly hard to come to grips with success .
      I look at it as perverse fandom and you see it in many unsucessful teams of course . I do remember the grief I took for being a Giants fan but , even after games that ended like “the Fumble ” I never stopped supporting the team in a positive manner and I do see and appreciate your take on the team

My biggest concern with JPP is that his success was built on his amazing physicality. He’s not a technician … he’s not a clever, finesse player. So if this injury has diminished him in that regard then he’s not ever going to regain his dominant form.

•  GIANTT says:

Most of the athletes who are drafted or even get to college at one time in their athletic career will get by on their physical ability . Now they come to the NFL where there are hundreds of players in EXACTLY the same position .
      The ones who make a career and become stars are the ones who take that physical ability and go beyond their natural abilities (think Jerry Rice )
      Hopefully JPPs light bulb will go off and perhaps being injured and overweight will be a BID . We already see that he has dropped weight so hopefully this is a sign that he will focus his attentions on returning to his previous skill levels even if the stats arent there and he is the magnet that draws the double teams and helps others to play better