Rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (hamstring) fully expected to return by the time the New York Giants started mini-camp, but when the team took the field on Tuesday for drills, Beckham Jr. once again found himself off to the side. And while he went through the individual portion of practice, he was forced to skip the team portion.
He did all of the individual and then we kind of backed him down a little bit. He was able to go, whether he could hit that top speed was another question. Why take a chance on it right now?" head coach Tom Coughlin said following practice.
Although Coughlin feels it would be detrimental to rush Beckham Jr. back, he's also not at all pleased to have his rookie wide receiver missing time. And all of his learning aside, Coughlin feels the only way he'll truly be able to grasp an NFL offense could be to practice in full. So is the coach comfortable with the situation? Absolutely not.
"You’ve got to find a better word. ‘Comfortable’ is not a good word. I’d like to have him practicing. That’s how you learn – you practice. He’s done all of the studying, he’s good in the classroom, but he’s got to get out here," Coughlin said.
Whether or not Beckham Jr. returns on Wednesday (or Thursday) remains to be seen, but Coughlin had implied previously the youngster could be out a while. And despite many not taking those words to heart, there remains a good chance Beckham Jr. could miss the entirety of mini-camp save for the individual drills.
Barring any setbacks after that, he should be a full go when the team gathers for training camp in July.
Update: Beckham Jr. participated in individual drills on Wednesday and some team drills (primarily second team).
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. Tweaks Hamstring; May Miss Some Time
- National Football Post Lists New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. as Rookie “Ready to Bust Loose”
- Carolina Panthers GM Dave Gettleman: Odell Beckham Jr. Best Route Runner from Rookie Class
- Odell Beckham Jr. “Happy” to Land with New York Giants; Recalls Past with Eli Manning
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c6a